UKBouldering.com

Eifel Bouldering (Germany) (Read 1208 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Eifel Bouldering (Germany)
July 30, 2020, 04:58:51 pm
Does anyone know much about the area of Eifel (south of Köln/Nurburgring area).

We’re likely to drive from the UK to East Germany at some point soon to visit family and thought about having a week in Font as well. However Eifel is en-route and I have the guide book, though it’s not the easiest to follow and it’s hard to get a sense of what the areas are like.

In Font we would have been aiming for a chilled trip doing some easy circuits and eating pastries. Does Eifel offer anything similar in terms of climbing - areas with a lot of bouldering in close proximity - or is it a lot more spread out?

Any information would be appreciated.

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Eifel Bouldering (Germany)
July 30, 2020, 08:29:30 pm
The old Eifel guidebook is outdated. Some area’s and/or sectors are closed. The only worthwhile bouldering for non locals is in Glees and Kottenheim. Gleesbouldering.com has all the info you’ll need. Lots of new stuff as well.

Since both area’s are basalt it is almost impossible to climb the harder stuff in summer. The climbing in Ettringen is a good alternative to the bouldering. Slightly better in hot conditions.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Eifel Bouldering (Germany)
August 04, 2020, 11:19:38 am
Thanks a lot for the info. That might be why I got the guidebook for £1 in the sale!

I’ll get my partner to have a proper look at the website (she’s fluent).

Would you say there’s enough stuff to have a week pottering around on easy things (we’re all out of condition after lockdown) or is something like Font far far superior? The idea of having a somewhere like Ettringen close by is a bonus for a bit of roped climbing.

Thanks

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Eifel Bouldering (Germany)
August 04, 2020, 11:45:23 am
Ettringen looks great - I got the guide a while ago, really keen to go there. Good jamming mileage trip!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#4 Re: Eifel Bouldering (Germany)
August 04, 2020, 11:50:51 am
. Good jamming mileage trip!

Jamming? Maybe I’ll stick with font...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal