UKBouldering.com

Raven Tor - Sardine block (Read 1612 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Raven Tor - Sardine block
July 10, 2020, 01:07:19 pm
I did Sardine yesterday for the first time in a few years, but I’ve probably done it 100+ times so am very familiar with it. That whole section of large block which you layback off just before stretching to the break below the belay feels loose. A loose hold at Raven Tor you say, so what? Well, if the whole thing came off a la the starting block of Mecca it could easily kill someone given the size of it and line of trajectory to earth. Maybe I’m being overly paranoid but I don’t see a downside to voicing my concern. Maybe it’s too big to glue/reinforce? Dunno. Would a crowbar behind it confirm or otherwise my suspicion? Anyway feel free to have a tap of it next time you’re up there but I’m bloody sure it didn’t use to feel that fragile.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#1 Re: Raven Tor - Sardine block
July 10, 2020, 01:38:23 pm
I haven't climbed at the Tor for a few years, but that top section has been hollow for a number of years and I certainly heard comments about it 5/6 years ago. You're right, it's certainly big enough to do serious damage, I always stand out the landing area if a climber is on that section.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Raven Tor - Sardine block
July 10, 2020, 04:26:16 pm
Been aware of this for years and I suppose it's inevitable it will go eventually. It's a difficult call. Someone could pour £50 of glue down the back with a handful of chock stone fillers. It is possible that the rock it's attached to is in its self hollow. Removing it may also create a bigger problem. I have this dilemma at the top of Verbal abuse so that is why the first bolt is taped up and I'm in no hurry to go back until the autumn.

It's good though you are making people aware of this, so many people have no concept of these dangers.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Raven Tor - Sardine block
July 10, 2020, 05:32:08 pm
Whenever I was climbing in Tom's Roof and I was hanging on the finishing jug for Tom's Original I was always thinking "if this block breaks off now I'm going to die". Probably incredibly unlikely to happen but it really looks like its not really attached to anything if I remember rightly!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal