UKBouldering.com

printers yo (Read 9878 times)

cofe

• forum hero
printers yo
October 13, 2004, 04:39:49 pm
hello ladies,

basically me julie needs a printer for her school shit but if we is gonna stump up the cheddar then i wanna make damn sure it can ice photos like a cake, innit.

i know dave has got a really bo epson one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but i wondered if any of y'all had any tips/suggestions. we'll spend up to £80 ish cos i need my money for my crack habit.

ta

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 04:43:52 pm
Sorry what was the question again??

cofe

• forum hero
#2 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 04:44:56 pm
hello ladies,

basically me julie needs a printer for her school shit but if we is gonna stump up the cheddar then i wanna make damn sure it can ice photos like a cake, innit.

i know dave has got a really bo epson one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but i wondered if any of y'all had any tips/suggestions. we'll spend up to £80 ish cos i need my money for my crack habit.

ta

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 04:46:37 pm
:huh:  :freak:  :eek2:  :?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 05:04:57 pm
"...Oh stewardess, I speak jive...":

I believe my main man tha C-Note is simply requesting whether anyone knows of any good value printers that are capable of printing photos as well as standard documents for his Julie, possible something like D - Dogg has. His budget's about £80.

"Cut me som' slac' jak!  Chump don wan no help, chump don git no help.  Jive ass dude don' got no brains anyhow..."

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 06:19:35 pm
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C05LB/026-3935255-6051611

£70 and sweet - came best in all the reviews I read about six months ago, got it from Staples.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 09:47:43 pm
Basically they are all a rip off, without a essay on trojan horse sales techniques...get separate inks so you don't end up throwing two thirds away.  Look for ones with 4 or 7 inks. Then look how much the inks are. Watch for ones where the black carts are twice the price of the colour carts!  You will use up at least twice as many black carts as any other colour.

I spent a while recently checking them out. The one we chose was an Epson R200 (I think), around £80 for the printer. All the ink around £8 for originals or £5 for compatibles. I wasn't buying it for me, but hear it works fine. Wish I had one, just forked out another £30 for new (but almost empty!) carts for my HP (the worse offenders in MHO, at least with Epson you can see the carts are full when they are new! HP  try the 'they need an air gap to work' bollocks.)

Canons may be worth checking out too.  Not sure how much the inks are...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Sorry Cofe...
October 13, 2004, 10:10:14 pm
Sorry cofe, what was I thinking...let me get my friend here to rephrase dat...

Basically they are izzall a rip off, know what I'm sayin'? ..get separate inks so yo' ass don't end up throwing away dat shit, know what I'm sayin'? Look fo' ones wit 4 or 7 inks n' shit. Then look how much da inks are." Watch fo' ones where da black carts are twice da price of da colour carts! Yo' ass will use up at least twice as many black carts as any other colour, know what I'm sayin'?

I spent a wildz in da meadowhood, checking 'em out n' shit. The one we chose wuz an Epson R200 (I think), around £80 fo' da printer." All da ink iz £8 fo' originals or £5 fo' compatibles n' shit. I wasn't buying that shiznit fo' me, but hear from da ho, that shiznit works just fine." Wish I had one, just forked out £30 fo' new (but nearly empty!) carts fo' my HP shizzle (da worse, at least wit Epson yo' ass can see da carts are full when they are new! HP try da 'they need an izzle gap' shit, know what I'm sayin'? )

G

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#8 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 10:13:27 pm
:lol:

dave

#9 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 10:33:39 pm
don't buy HP or lexmark, cos they suck cocks. Buy epson, or canon are OK.

Shit man, that honky mus' be messin' my old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head. You know?
Hey home, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you man.
I say hey sky, s'other s'ay I wan say?
UH...
Pray to J I get the same ol' same ol'.
Eh. Yo knock yourself a pro slick, gray matter live performas down now take TCB'in man.
Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em.
Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em
Cold got to be. You know? Shiiiiit.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 10:42:59 pm
Quote from: "dave"
don't buy HP or lexmark, cos they suck cocks.

No sweeping generalisations there then :roll:

Check :

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/62108/hewlettpackard-deskjet-5150.html

It's £71 and
"Better print quality on plain paper than any other printer under £150, and results on photo paper are breathtaking."

dave

#11 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 11:11:25 pm
i thought the general criticism of HPs was cos their primary market is businesses they traditionally put more emphasis on the speed of printing, which is generally not important for home photo printing. also isn'tt HP replacment inks cost a bomb, cos they  include a new print head in each cartridge? or did i dream that....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 printers yo
October 13, 2004, 11:36:28 pm
Dave is right. Ink is where the money goes, especially if you print photos.

HP56   Â£13   =19ml
HP57   Â£20   =17ml
HP58 (photo)   =£18   17ml
R200 compatible set x6   =£16 for the set of 6   8-16ml (depending who you go for) x6 in each

Compatibles are easily available for epsons, cheaper and usually filled to the brim. You can't get compatibles for the HP due to as Dave says, the printer head being integral to the cart. You can get refilled ones from CartridgeWorld etc, but not much cheaper than HP.

The other thing to bear in mind if, if you have a digital camera and you want to start printing a lot, to be honest I would stick them on a card/cd and get down to Jessops/Boots etc. Digital printing has dropped hugely in price lately and its on proper photo paper (eg. won't fade after 5-10 years) :oldgit:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 printers yo
October 14, 2004, 06:40:34 am
I spose you've got to add up how much you're going to print - I've had my printer over 6 months and am on the same cartridges, so ink cost is minimal for me.
I've seen non-HP cartridges for £11 b&w and £15 colour which is still more spenny than Epson but not crazy expensive if you don't get through that many.

Anyways, I was just arguing the "HP printers suck cocks" statement - even if they're not the cheapest to run they're still good bits of kit.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 printers yo
October 14, 2004, 02:49:27 pm
I'd get an epsom cos I can get compatible cartridges that work fine down at bowlers at £1 for a  black and £2 for a colour

cofe

• forum hero
#15 printers yo
October 14, 2004, 05:18:53 pm
shit dogg, now i'm confused. i was gonna take obi's advice then gruff rhys jones owen and bubbsy wubbsy start dissing epsonics. already got a whack hp but can't justify the $$$ for a new colour cartridge when i could update the printer for doubkle that, or a bit more.

obi - forgot what you wrote, but where do you get replacement inks from yo?

damn, i need the knowledge before i shop like a snitch. word.

cofe

• forum hero
#16 printers yo
October 14, 2004, 10:15:59 pm
err, just re-read your post gruff rhys jones owen and unfortunately yes. reckon if you take it all back then i've only got bubbsy wubbsy to overpower ( :roll: ) before i'm clear to buy an epson.

danger, danger.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 printers yo
October 14, 2004, 10:25:14 pm
I'd say.....The HP 5150 is a little gem, but if you're going to be doing a shitload of printing (and if your missus is a teacher type then I'm guessing she's going to be heavy on the ink) then you might be better off with an Epson purely in respect of running costs...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 printers yo
October 15, 2004, 07:18:57 am
the Hp's are good printers but plenty dollar to run them

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#19 printers yo
October 15, 2004, 09:03:51 am
Cofe, loads of places sell compatible cartridges and refill kits for Epsons.
Check out Amazon Z-shops, www.inkandstuff.co.uk, www.tonik.co.uk etc etc

In respect of people having trouble with Epsons, like I said originally they are all a rip off, and I have had my fair share of issues with Epsons as well, but at least you have the option of hacking them/resetting the chips/refilling them/using compatibles...

if you want to refill them you need one of these (Tesco sell refill kits for £4) http://www.cartridgeresetter.com/

underground

• forum hero
#20 printers yo
October 15, 2004, 03:03:45 pm
Ooh, just got an email at work- I can get an HP 5150 for 40 nicker on a staff purchase scheme....

cofe

• forum hero
#21 printers yo
October 15, 2004, 04:33:33 pm
to be fair, read some reviews on that hp one and it does sound good but i think this inks thing is going to be king at this rate

anyoine reccomend anywhere else to buy other than ebuyer.com?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 printers yo
October 15, 2004, 06:36:50 pm
Be sure to check out scan.co.uk as well.

cofe

• forum hero
#23 printers yo
November 01, 2004, 09:47:46 am
check it. we bought a R200 in the end. first impressions are good - just need to get a handle on the ink situation. also need to buy some good photo paper.

BoulderHog

• addict
#24 printers yo
November 01, 2004, 02:08:50 pm
I just got an Epson R200 last week, used loads of paper to set it up properly, I found setting it to Brightness -4, contrast -5 and saturation -5, with some + Magenta going on for good measure. Depends on your monitor though I suppose, but mine was really over doing the colour and contrast on factory setting so watch out for that.

Best paper is the Epson premium photo paper, you can tell the difference with cheaper stuff, 50 sheets for £20 from Amazon. Seems like a really good printer to me, does amazing a4 prints.

Anyone know which 3rd party inks can match the Epson ones for a fraction of the cost? No way I'm spending £70 for ink, I'll just get a new printer instead. Somebody mentioned Jet Tec inks, full set for £35 and they match Epson's, but this still seems too pricey??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal