UKBouldering.com

COVID-19 and the state of politics (Read 183586 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ffs. bJ telling everyone to get to work today if they can. Tubes and roads much busier. Now Raab on breakfast telling people it’s after Wednesday. Shambles.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Jesus!

Yup.

Currently level three thousand and some odd, point seven, ish.

Be a while before we get to level three on that scale.

ali k

• junky
No proper press conference this afternoon apparently. Just the usual spiel followed up with 'questions from the public'. It's all starting to look a bit Stalinist, isn't it?

Paul B

• forum hero
Pre-recorded questions  :tumble:

tomtom

• forum hero
Govts clarifications via Raab and radio appearances this morning seem to have made things more not less confusing (re the BMC thread).

Across my social media - what is apparent is even from right/centre right people I know - the unanimous derision and pisstaking of the governments message. They’ve got this really wrong I think - and I wonder if we’ll get row back or double down.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Govts clarifications via Raab and radio appearances this morning seem to have made things more not less confusing (re the BMC thread).

Across my social media - what is apparent is even from right/centre right people I know - the unanimous derision and pisstaking of the governments message. They’ve got this really wrong I think - and I wonder if we’ll get row back or double down.

I could have written the same post.

tomtom

• forum hero
Even Sloper was texting me last night about it..

Ged

• junky
So many aspects of the govt's strategy don't make sense it's hard to know where to start. 

As a genuine query to any epidemiologists out there, does the effect of quarantine not just disappear if we exempt France from it? Surely as a major gateway from Europe/World into the UK, it means it's still pretty easy to get in and not be quarantined? 

I mean this as a genuine question by the way, if anybody has any knowledge beyond the instinctive feeling that it completely negates the policy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If I was France, I wouldn't want any Brits coming in!

tomtom

• forum hero
France has closed all its borders - recently extended until mid June I think...

galpinos

• forum hero

Apart from to Brits. Reciprocal deal......

ali k

• junky
As a genuine query to any epidemiologists out there, does the effect of quarantine not just disappear if we exempt France from it? Surely as a major gateway from Europe/World into the UK, it means it's still pretty easy to get in and not be quarantined? 
I'm not an epidemiologist (as you know) but the quarantine thing seems like just smoke and mirrors to me. 14 day self-imposed quarantine with no associated testing = pointless. My gut feeling is people will just ignore it. The France exemption is presumably to avoid interruption of freight to/from the continent as they know lorry drivers can't quarantine. That's just my reading of the situation but happy to be corrected.

tomtom

• forum hero
Just read that the govt is citing basketball as a sport that is ok to do after weds.

HAVE THEY EVER PLAYED IT? basketball is the most contact non contact sport going! Nuts.

Hello... is anyone in #10 thinking at the moment? Hello..??

gme

• forum hero
Your missing the “as long as you maintain social distancing” thing though.

All sports can be played in some form or other within these guidelines. You could go on your own and use the local basket ball court or with a family member. Ditto footy, ditto climbing, ditto rugby etc. You couldn’t last week.

Sumo might be hard but other than that it’s all possible.

Seems to me that everyone is expecting some kind of individual risk assessment and plan writing up For them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Apart from to Brits. Reciprocal deal......

Fucking mental. Assume you need to SQ for 14 days after a visit though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

All sports can be played in some form or other within these guidelines. You could go on your own and use the local basket ball court or with a family member. Ditto footy, ditto climbing, ditto rugby etc. You couldn’t last week.

Seems to me that everyone is expecting some kind of individual risk assessment and plan writing up For them.

Footy.

With 2mtr distancing?

Team lined up at 2mtr intervals across pitch. “None shall pass!” (Did you see what I did there) and you’re down to shots at goal from the centre line...

tomtom

• forum hero

Footy.

With 2mtr distancing?

Team lined up at 2mtr intervals across pitch. “None shall pass!” (Did you see what I did there) and you’re down to shots at goal from the centre line...

Gav - #10 said ‘not football’ - hence my ffs about basketball..

And here’s the issue. If they said any sport where it was possible to maintain social distancing - then that would make sense. Instead they have to give daft and incorrect examples...

Seen a couple of reports that BJ left the script a few times in the version that went out. Including the returning to work tomorrow bit.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
FFS! Are people trying to misunderstand a very very simple flow chart?

Can you do the sport outside AND while maintaining social distancing  = Yes =  Do the sport and FFS maintain social distancing
II
No
II
You can only do the sport with members of your own household.

What is so difficult to understand about that? If you can whip up enough people from your household to shoot some hoops (my manager is currently living in a house of 7 people) then have at it.

Caveat: this is based on last night's broadcast. I've not seen the 50 page doc yet. Has anyone?

Paul B

• forum hero
Caveat: this is based on last night's broadcast. I've not seen the 50 page doc yet. Has anyone?

It's due at 2PM I think.

tomtom

• forum hero

It's due at 2PM I think.

Johnson has just announced another statement/address at 7pm.

Will - where have they said any sport is fine as long as you can socially distance or play with just your household? I’ve yet to see it phrased so clearly. They’ve also said football no, basketball yes!

If I were a senior police officer trying to determine what their policy should be WRT the changes I’d be either half way through a decent malt by now or having a nervous breakdown.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

It's due at 2PM I think.

Will - where have they said any sport is fine as long as you can socially distance or play with just your household? I’ve yet to see it phrased so clearly. They’ve also said football no, basketball yes!

If I were a senior police officer trying to determine what their policy should be WRT the changes I’d be either half way through a decent malt by now or having a nervous breakdown.

Last night's address made it very clear. If there's been further contradiction then I'm not aware of it (I haven't seen any specific communication from the government on individual sports, so not sure where the football/basketball thing has come from).

Johnson's speech last night said this about exercise (8mins and 30secs into the address):

And from this Wednesday we want to encourage people to take more, and even unlimited, amounts of outdoor exercise. You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household. You must obey the rules on social distancing.

That to me is crystal clear, but I haven't watched or listened to any news this morning.

gme

• forum hero

Footy.

With 2mtr distancing?

I have been playing footy with the family all shutdown in the garden as i am lucky enough to have one big enough. ditto chucking rugby balls about. I can now got down the local field as long as its socially distanced, so you are wrong.

You make the assumption that it must involve a match where as you could just kick a ball between to people. A lot of kids are obsessed with footy but without a garden have not even been allowed to kick a ball, they can now. It obviously needs to be in an area not overly crowded.

gme

• forum hero

It's due at 2PM I think.

I agree with Will its very simple and easy to understand. You can play any sport you like as long as it complies to social distancing or with your household. What the activity is has no bearing on anything. You cant play a full game of basketball obviously but you and your housemate(s) could go to the park and play one on one(two) etc. ditto footy.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Some clarity for business at least with a list of who must remain closed.

However for others wording varies between sources on whether they 'can' open or 'should' open. NB Legally, 'should' is a recommendation and not mandatory.

tomtom

• forum hero
Hey - I’m not arguing with your logic - kicking a ball against a wall with just yourself is in effect football!!

- just that Raab was on this morning saying that you couldn’t play football! And later #10 said in examples of sports that would be suitable included basketball along with Tennis.

It’s the mixed messages - some old biddy could listen to the radio and now snitch on people from the same family for kicking about - equally some might think it’s green light to gather in a big group and shoot some hoops.

Raab then went on to say later that people should exercise common sense... which is of course true. Or the govt could just consistently promote a simple and clear message.... that would enable people to exercise their common sense?? Raab seemed (even for him) unusually out of his depth today...

As I posted earlier today - it’s not just me - plenty of people with all sorts of views that I know have posted what a mess the unlockdown message is...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal