UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689591 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
#3250 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 29, 2021, 10:26:22 pm
All I'd say about the UK / EU vaccine situation is try to imagine the current situation 180 degrees reversed, and be honest with yourself about what you'd be saying about the UK. Apply it to the EU. All good.
Funnily enough I was thinking exactly that earlier. If the production issues were in the UK facilities and not the EU, would the UK govt just let it slide with AZ while their pre-ordered doses didn’t turn up on time? Or would they be kicking up a fuss? And also would they just sit happily watching a different vaccine produced in the UK carry on being exported elsewhere, rather than say “we’ll have some of that thank you very much”?

Given the solidarity shown last March when the French blocked export of the NHS' facemask order I would think we would be left whistling in the wind with the EU punting us firmly to the back of the queue, with only the option of following Hungary and phoning Vlad for some of the Russian cocktail!

IanP

• forum abuser
#3251 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 29, 2021, 11:07:38 pm
Well that escalated fast! The EU has pressed the ‘nuclear’ button of invoking article 16 of the NI border agreement. Stopping the free border between NI and RoI - in this case for vaccines.

Unionists are now frothing at the mouth saying we should invoke it for everything.

All of this really isn’t a good look EU...

Irish government not happy as well and EU already u-turned!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/eu-controls-on-vaccine-exports-to-northern-ireland-trigger-diplomatic-row

Definitely not a good look for the EU.

petejh

• forum hero
#3252 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 29, 2021, 11:28:19 pm
Some details behind the UK's vaccine programme dotted among this Telegraph puff-piece. Interesting about Germany, France and UK considering a coalition separate from the EU. And the early voluntary work done by the British biotech community in February that gave the UK a head start.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/29/scientists-realised-vaccines-could-stop-covid-put-uk-ahead/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
''The Prime Minister first sent Kate Bingham a text asking if she didn’t mind him calling her. Then a few minutes later on May 6, her phone duly rang.

“I want you to stop people dying,” Boris Johnson told her. Ten days later, Ms Bingham was appointed chairman of the UK Vaccine Taskforce, stepping down from her paid job as a biotech venture capitalist to oversee the development of a “safe and effective vaccine” that would inoculate the public against Covid-19.

Fast forward to today and the vaccination programme is the major success story in Britain’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

But much of the crucial work was done even before Ms Bingham took up her role, as she is quick to point out, with industry plans put in place as long ago as February to tackle a virus which at that stage had not, officially at least, claimed a single British life.

By Thursday of this week, almost 7.9 million people had received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine, compared with a little over 1.1 million in France, while in Madrid, vaccinations have been suspended for two weeks after supplies ran out.

Britain’s success in acquiring the vaccines and critically rolling them out – vaccinations, not vaccines, as experts point out, save lives – also serves to highlight the failure of the European Union in doing the same.

Britain has been “nimble”, where Europe has not. The UK now has contracts for three approved vaccines for use and two more waiting for regulatory approval.

On Friday, Ms Bingham, whose appointment was criticised not least because she is the wife of a Tory minister, undertook a round of media interviews to accept the praise but also, with modesty, to point to the huge role played by the UK’s biotech industry before Mr Johnson had even called her up.

While the UK has a contract for 100 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine – all of it manufactured in this country – and another 40 million for the US-developed Pfizer-BioNTech jab, the EU is struggling to play catch-up, crying foul over its own deal with AstraZeneca and facing a shortage of Pfizer vaccine as well.

Ms Bingham’s Vaccine Taskforce had signed its first deal to buy the University of Oxford vaccine on May 17. It took the EU until August to submit an advance purchase agreement for 300 million doses.

The British success, said Ms Bingham (who has a first class degree in biochemistry from Oxford), was down to early planning by the biotech industry.

Experts on Friday suggested that measures put in place last February gave the UK a three-month head start in the hunt for a vaccine and, critically, the infrastructure for mass production.

“We have been very nimble,” Ms Bingham said on Friday. “When the Prime Minister called, he said to me, ‘I want you to stop people dying’.”

She protested to officials and ministers that she wasn’t qualified to take on the role. “But I remember they said, ‘None of us is qualified to do this. Just get on with it.’”

Ms Bingham is keen not to sound triumphalist. She voted Remain but recognises Brexit allowed the UK to go it alone in purchasing well in advance the vaccines most likely to succeed.

She said: “I’m not going to get into the details of the contracts but one of the things the CEO of AZ (AstraZeneca) did not mention is we actually started scaling up manufacture of the Oxford vaccine from February.

“So, yes, we signed the contract, or agreed terms, with AZ in May, but the work to scale up the manufacturing started months before that.

“It is that early work that was done by the industry – voluntarily, not based on contracts or requirements but a voluntary coalition of the different companies. That is what has ultimately made the difference as to why we are so far ahead on manufacturing.”

What happened in February is that the Bioindustry Association (BIA), the trade body for the UK’s life sciences tech firms, recognised early the threat posed by Covid-19.

Steve Bates, its chief executive, convened a committee and installed at its head Ian McCubbin, a retired senior vice-president in charge of manufacturing at GlaxoSmithKline.

Mr Bates put something similar in train when Ebola hit West Africa in 2014. But that crisis was tackled by public health measures and the urgency for a vaccine passed.

Last year, he saw the horror unfolding in Wuhan and then watched the virus engulf northern Italy. “We could see what was happening in Lombardy and we thought a vaccine is going to be the only way to return to normal,” said Mr Bates.

The BIA taskforce held weekly meetings and conversations with experts across the country. Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government’s chief scientific adviser, remained in regular contact. The University of Oxford’s Jenner Institute was working on its vaccine and the BIA taskforce recognised the need to put in place an infrastructure to support the scaling up.

On February 15, Nettie England, the BIA’s expert on bioprocessing, was watching Liverpool, her team, beating Norwich when a plea went out from the Oxford vaccine team.

“We got an email asking for support to scale up their vaccine,” recalled Ms England. “At this stage, they could only make their vaccine at a 10-litre scale. That’s not going to make enough for clinical trials and beyond.”

That evening, she sent out an industry-wide SOS. By the Monday the BIA had assembled a consortium that included Cobra Biologics, in Staffordshire, and Oxford Biomedica, the two companies now making the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

Mr McCubbin said: “The foundations were put in place before the [Government] taskforce came along. The initial activity carried out by the voluntary bioindustry community probably gave us a three- to four-month head start.”

Ms Bingham was quick to praise Mr McCubbin on Friday. “Ian was 100 per cent brilliant,” she said, “He is widely liked and respected. When Pascal Soriot [the AstraZeneca CEO] said we were earlier than Europe in placing the order, all this is due to the early work already put in place. We have compressed into months what would normally take years and years.”

Mr McCubbin was drafted on to Ms Bingham’s Government taskforce, ensuring continuity. The new squad had money to spend – so far £3.7 billion has been set aside for the purchase of 350 million vaccine doses – and Ms Bingham and her team went about evaluating the efficacy from some “200 vaccine contenders”.

At one stage, according to sources, France and Germany considered forming their own bloc to guarantee supply just for the two powerhouses of Europe. The UK, The Telegraph understands, briefly considered joining forces.

But France and Germany were reined in by the EU and the UK chose to go it alone.

The Vaccine Taskforce set about evaluating the emerging vaccine data.

“Kate’s energy and ability to create connections enabled us to get into the right rooms and look at the data on the various vaccines being developed and get a clear view of their strengths and weaknesses and so begin negotiations on delivery, volume and price much earlier,” said Mr McCubbin.

He added: “We started earlier with the right group of people in place, the industry experience working hand in hand with great Government people created a nimbleness.”

Downing Street has endured a difficult pandemic. But that phone call to Ms Bingham in May – and the events that preceded it – might just yet be Mr Johnson’s enduring legacy. ''

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3253 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 29, 2021, 11:30:41 pm
Thé big criticism levelled at the EU is the unwieldiness of its bureaucracy. The commission has really shoved that to the fore with their handling of this and ensuing panic, bullying and protectionist twitching. I bet Brussels is getting it on all sides from the 27 capitals right now.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3254 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 07:42:11 am
Well done Boris! Finally something worked.

Maybe “the only thing he’s done right” - rather than enduring legacy.

If you throw enough shit at a fan, some gets through :D

tomtom

• forum hero
#3255 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 08:20:31 am
(I am glad we’ve ordered lots from lots of different suppliers... it’s early and I posted the above ;) .)

I think the Guardian version of the Telegraph puff piece goes into more detail about how hard it was for the Oxford group to find the right manufacturer - and how Hancock steered them away from American pharma because of potential Trump issues...

Novavax success is great - though they’ve unwittingly probably been helped in getting their stage 3 results so fast by the UK’s second wave being so big... I’ll bet that’s the jab most of us end up getting late spring/early summer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:27:50 am by tomtom »

ali k

• junky
#3256 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 09:24:58 am
Well done Boris! Finally something worked.

Maybe “the only thing he’s done right” - rather than enduring legacy.

If you throw enough shit at a fan, some gets through :D
The other example of an acquaintance being called up to run a huge pandemic response program didn’t go so well. It looks like Johnson just managed to phone the right person with Kate Bingham. So a 50% success rate on that front  :lol:

mark s

• junky
#3257 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 11:14:43 am
I've got my jab tomorrow. Having it because we make part of the Pfizer vaccine. Ironically at work we are having the az jab.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3258 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 11:17:05 am
But it sounds like me booking mine has convinced her and she's going on Monday :2thumbsup:

That’s excellent, you must be relieved.

It’s also a great illustration of how personal stories and leading by example usually work better than flinging statistics at people. I can’t find it at the moment but there’s a small study comparing pro-Vaccine messages delivered by healthcare professionals. The most effective was “I recommend my Mum has it”, even more effective than “I’m having it myself” and both far more effective than quoting data.

I think everyone has a role to play in promoting vaccine take-up but health behaviour change is really hard and the science tells us we need to be a bit careful about how we go about this.

In the UK ~10% are fervently anti-Vax. and often very vocal about it. Don’t waste your time on them, engaging in argument amplifies their message on social media algorithms, and getting angry on social media harms your credibility with waverers. 

Another ~15% are a bit nervous, like Ali’s mum. Reassurance tailored to their concerns and positive examples will give them a nudge in the right direction.

Another ~15% (much higher in certain communities) have very significant concerns and are currently unlikely to get vaccinated. What worked for Ali’s mum will help to a certain extent, as does acknowledging concerns and fears are genuine however irrational they may seem to you. Getting into an argument is easy and tempting but, as this belief is a like a faith, rational argument is unlikely to change anything.

In the How To Vaccinate the World podcast Larry Brilliant makes the very important point that vaccines are necessary but not sufficient to halt an pandemic:
The UK is doing relatively well at rolling out the vaccine but shockingly badly at the associated public health measures.

(If you’re dealing with a waverer who comes with big business / pharma / government / international agency mistrust you might consider pointing them at Brilliant. He’s the quintessential hippy: former personal doctor to the Grateful Dead (!), who joined the WHO smallpox eradication programme in India on the advice of his guru after several years at an Ashram).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3259 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 04:59:10 pm
More excellent jabbage today - 487k across the UK

https://twitter.com/SharePickers/status/1355549869918855170?s=20

ali k

• junky
#3260 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 05:26:31 pm
More excellent jabbage today - 487k across the UK
Me included. If the rest of the centres are as well organised as the one I went to I can see why they’re achieving those numbers. Literally walk in walk out like the flu jab last year. You book a time slot but it’s fairly irrelevant as you just go through in the order you turn up so no hanging around. Amazing effort from the staff and volunteers.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3261 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 30, 2021, 06:50:12 pm
It is good - if the supplies could match the ability to administer..

Looking at the cumulative graphs. Straight line until AZ came on line - then big uptick in angle and straight line again. The straight cumulative line means it’s supply limited now...

tomtom

• forum hero
#3262 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 02:15:35 pm
Seen a couple of tweets suggesting over 600k jabs in the last 24 hours! 👏👏

C.1% population per day

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3263 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 03:34:40 pm
Very lucky day yesterday for us ...my sister-in-law's an NHS nurse and has been vaccinating people. Mate of hers (a GP) had been doing same and ended up with a dose that needed using or it had to go in the bin.

She got in touch and came over so my missus (secondary teacher) has now had her first dose.

Duma

• forum hero
#3264 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 04:10:05 pm

C.1% population per day
big jump in second doses too, ~10k

IanP

• forum abuser
#3265 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 05:03:40 pm

C.1% population per day

598k according to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations  :2thumbsup:

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3266 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 08:37:34 pm
The Covid-19 vaccine communication handbook: what to say and how to communicate with the sceptical or hesitant.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:02:21 pm by duncan »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3267 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 31, 2021, 08:43:12 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3268 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 01, 2021, 08:56:43 am
Interesting.

As an aside, do some parents regularly volunteer their 12 year old kids for medical trials?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3269 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 01, 2021, 09:58:23 am
I had mine last Sunday as I’m an NHS employee (unpaid) in the Chaplaincy service at The Maudsley psychiatric hospital.

It was super efficient and felt quite a big deal to be part of such a big programme that’s going to make a difference.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3270 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 01, 2021, 10:18:04 am
Interesting.

As an aside, do some parents regularly volunteer their 12 year old kids for medical trials?

If it would shut them up for five minutes and the staff have very high pain thresholds, yup.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#3271 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 02, 2021, 11:15:15 am
A reassuring paper that indicates formite transmission from surfaces is low risk. The experiments with common cold virus are particularly illuminating.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4

tomtom

• forum hero
#3272 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 02, 2021, 05:11:30 pm
Preprint on the oxford vaccine dosing

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3777268

TL;DR

One dose of Oxford vaccine:

- 76% efficacy against symptomatic covid after day 22.

- 100% effective at stopping hospitalisations after day 22.

Two doses of Oxford vaccine:

- 54% reduction in transmission

-Antibody response stronger after longer interval between dose.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3273 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 02, 2021, 05:23:45 pm
Excellent news!

petejh

• forum hero
#3274 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 02, 2021, 05:28:54 pm
''1st doses up to 02/02/21

350,348 Upwards arrow on yesterday

An average of 411,791 per day needed to hit the target of 15m by Feb 15th''