UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689565 times)

Duma

• forum hero
#975 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 03:59:43 am
Further to this, and in case it's relevant to others, the document linked below contradicts Tobys post re the 5live advisor:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Specifically, the exception for

"Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person."

Has a footnote that says:

"Where applicable, this includes moving children under 18 between their parents’ homes."

nik at work

• forum hero
#976 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 07:08:06 am
Duma I hope you can find a way to see your daughter. I am in a position where I cannot see my sons at all (beyond Skype etc) but if there was a ‘grey area’ I would be exploring it. I think this is somewhat different to the desire/need to climb or exercise.

OMM I’m glad I’ve provided some small amusement, I think we could all do with a bit of a laugh right now. Bloody iPhone thinks it’s smarter than me... to be fair it probably is 😂

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#977 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 07:27:26 am
The stated allowance in that written guidance is "Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home."

So that includes our monitoring work. And we are a critical sector. And we're not on the list of outlawed businesses (obviously); neither is our contractor.
This is making it quite difficult to know what to do. Will have to thrash it out with my colleagues.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#978 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 07:52:06 am
So, can I see my daughter (who lives with her mum ~ 75% of the time) for the next few weeks? Anyone know where to look for updated guidelines on this after today's announcement?

There was an advisor on 5 live earlier who answered this question from a caller. She said that the children should stay with one parent and that it's terrible but communicate with the other via phone Skype etc until the lockdown is over. She said that transfer between households or visiting was expressly prohibited.
Thanks for the info Toby. Gutted, haven't slept at all yet. If anyone sees anything official written down somewhere on this they can link to I'd appreciate it.

If it helps Gove has just been on BBC saying that children can be moved from one parent to another under the age of 18.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#979 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:16:07 am
A bit exercise outdoors might still be allowed in France, but I have decided to stop running for the foreseeable future. I will do a skipping rope workout in the apartment instead. We have a balcony, it will have to do for outdoor activities for the coming month or two.

Same in Bayern. My son is still going out for early morning runs alternate days, which I'm fine with for now, but I'm doing TFNA-style box step-ups by the hour. Works ok if you get your youtube queue properly set up in advance.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#980 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:42:11 am
A bit exercise outdoors might still be allowed in France, but I have decided to stop running for the foreseeable future. I will do a skipping rope workout in the apartment instead. We have a balcony, it will have to do for outdoor activities for the coming month or two.

Have you experience of skipping previously? Can be pretty hard on the knees so mind how you go with it

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#981 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:43:55 am
The stated allowance in that written guidance is "Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home."

So that includes our monitoring work. And we are a critical sector. And we're not on the list of outlawed businesses (obviously); neither is our contractor.
This is making it quite difficult to know what to do. Will have to thrash it out with my colleagues.

The earlier guidance stated 'go to work (if you're a key worker)'

They then backtracked and issued the vagueness of last night.

Whatever you decide I would do it on the basis of where we are headed not what the small print says you could get away with today. When the hospitals are in the shit I don't think you'll want it on your conscience.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#982 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:48:21 am
We have closed the office bar essential staff this morning. Have the team are working from home. We have one foodbank open today who are seeing people at the door and handing out parcels but not having anyone in (most centres still open have been doing this for the last week).

All volunteers have been ordered to stay at home bar the centre that is open today.

We have had to completely change our operation but are classed as an essential service. We have commandeered a local sports centre and are planning to pre-pack 10,000 food parcels over the next week or so in an effort to ensure some kind of supply chain to the centres we are able to keep open.

The city council, general public (1,700 emails offering volunteer support in the last two days!) and both football clubs have really got behind the effort but we are struggling to understand how we are going to operate safely under the lock down. Hoping to get some clarity from government and council and the Trussell Trust today.

We are currently good for money and food. Will keep people posted!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#983 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:55:51 am

Have you experience of skipping previously? Can be pretty hard on the knees so mind how you go with it
Thx for the heads up. Did skipping as cardio a few years ago, but I will start slow. Mostly worried about DOMS...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#984 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 08:58:39 am

The earlier guidance stated 'go to work (if you're a key worker)'

They then backtracked and issued the vagueness of last night.

Whatever you decide I would do it on the basis of where we are headed not what the small print says you could get away with today. When the hospitals are in the shit I don't think you'll want it on your conscience.

I agree. And frankly, I would expect the guidance to be tightened in the face of people taking the broadest interpretation and it not working. The particular complication here is that we could end up being sanctioned by the very government that we're trying to comply with if we don't do the work.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#985 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 09:30:29 am
Shark can probably elucidate this better, but this morning a local GP, here in Devon, shared the condition of one of his patients.
“Well below the critical age category”.
“No underlying health issues”.
And now in critical care.

Edit

Actually, he said this:

“ Covid 19. The coronavirus. It has made me take to Facebook to get a message across.
I’m a GP in a rural practice in the West Country.
Here in deepest Devon we have a staff member who is critically unwell from coronavirus and on ITU. No risk factors. No underlying health conditions. And way under the ‘at risk’ age.
For all those who think:
‘It’s not a serious illness’
‘It’s all a conspiracy’
‘It’s social engineering’
‘It won’t affect me’
‘Social distancing is for other people’
You are wrong.
This is a genuine crisis. It is an illness that is killing people. It will kill people you know and people you care about.
You need to take it seriously.
Stay away from other people.
Support the vulnerable (safely).
Wash your hands.”

I’m reluctant to share the GP’s name. It was a public FB post, so you can find it if you try.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#986 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 10:51:58 am
It's alarming that you, me and Duncan have all been poorly so that's a pretty high % of UKB'ers in London.

Just the oldies Ben!

I'm slowly recovering, hope you do too. 

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#987 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 10:59:55 am
A bit exercise outdoors might still be allowed in France, but I have decided to stop running for the foreseeable future.

Interested to hear why you have decided this, given that it is allowed.

Until I am tested I will just assume that I have the virus but is asymptomatic. I will do what I can not to spread it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#988 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 11:53:57 am

It's alarming that you, me and Duncan have all been poorly so that's a pretty high % of UKB'ers in London.

My brother said two of his mates in London are in bed with it, he's seen them both before the shutdown, so reckons it might be a question of time..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#989 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 11:55:00 am
A bit exercise outdoors might still be allowed in France, but I have decided to stop running for the foreseeable future.

Interested to hear why you have decided this, given that it is allowed.

Until I am tested I will just assume that I have the virus but is asymptomatic. I will do what I can not to spread it.

Do you think you will be tested, or will you just paly the waiting game. Your stance is admirable btw.

Paul B

• forum hero
#990 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 01:20:29 pm
So, can I see my daughter (who lives with her mum ~ 75% of the time) for the next few weeks? Anyone know where to look for updated guidelines on this after today's announcement?

FYI - this morning at 7:20 on GMB Gove said that children should stay put. There's an exception for children with unique vulnerabilities.

I can't provide a link but I'm assuming it'll be on an online streaming service.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#991 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 01:40:18 pm
He corrected that on the Today programme.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#992 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 01:51:03 pm
Random anecdotes:
I live opposite an old folks/sheltered accommodation place. I see oldies regularly leaving via the same gate, rarely wearing gloves. The last person opened it and within 2 seconds wiped his nose with his hand. It is so easy to see how this can spread, scary times! There are way fewer people out and about however, and at least half of them are wearing masks, some gloves as well, though I do worry this may provide false ideas of security, particularly the gloves. Having worked in a clean lab (not biology stuff)  I have an idea about how hard it is to break the face touching habit and how incredibly anal you have to be to stop all contamination, I find it difficult outside the lab.

I also live next door to a GP surgery, they had the lights on until 10pm last night for the first time in the 2 years i've lived here...   

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#993 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 02:27:01 pm

I asked my missus, who spends about 50% of her time dealing with this sort of thing. She's had a newsletter this lunchtime from some authority or other saying Gove has tweeted to apologize for contradicting the official line in various media outlets this morning. Essentially it sounds like children can switch between two parent's houses, as long as no-one is self-isolating for medical grounds.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#994 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 02:35:12 pm

Just the oldies Ben!

I'm slowly recovering, hope you do too.

Ha! True...

Hope you get better soon. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#995 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 02:43:27 pm
FYI - this morning at 7:20 on GMB Gove said that children should stay put. There's an exception for children with unique vulnerabilities.

Gove has tweeted to apologize for contradicting the official line in various media outlets this morning. Essentially it sounds like children can switch between two parent's houses, as long as no-one is self-isolating for medical grounds.

Wow. They're doing really well in providing a clear and consistent message to all  :tumble:.

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1242358443702390789?s=20

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#996 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 04:42:42 pm
87! Today.

I was daring to hope the curve was flattening.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#997 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 04:46:09 pm
Matt Hancock has today stated that where people can't work from home they should go to work. A bit lost for words at that so I will instead use all of the emojis available that are appropriate.
 >:( :o :???: :'( :furious: :guilty: :rtfm: :spank: :wank: :wavecry: :icon_321: :no: :wall: :slap: :thumbsdown: :ohmy: :shit: :chair:

87! Today.

I was daring to hope the curve was flattening.

The curve can't possibly flatten for about 2 weeks, can it? The deaths are already locked in because the infections which cause the deaths that will occur in 2 weeks or so have already happened. Sorry if I've got that wrong. Given that it's been business as usual today (for lots and lots of people) on the government's express instruction then I don't see how the peak can do anything but receive a small set back.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#998 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 05:04:21 pm
I know.
And I knew. But there had been a small drop over the last two days and we are ahead of Italy in all of our measures.
For instance our current lockdown level. Italy only hit the panic button at 800 deaths, still double the current UK tally.
Clearly, the social distancing thing of a couple of weeks ago, did not work.

Well, it probably did, we’ll never know how much worse it might have been today.

I hope that even with the confusion and idiots ignoring, the new measures might take us off the Italian trajectory two weeks from now, because I’ve not plotted todays figures yet, but anything over 60 would have put us on a steeper slope than Italy.

mark20

• junky
#999 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 24, 2020, 05:08:20 pm
Plus a spike at some point corresponding to the stupidity on Last Pub Day / Sunny Weekend / Mother’s Day ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal