UKBouldering.com

Politics 2023 (Read 476601 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3150 Re: Politics 2020
October 22, 2022, 10:19:26 am
This may cheer you up a bit Brutus  (keep scrolling)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3151 Re: Politics 2020
October 22, 2022, 02:49:28 pm
Looking onwards I fear that Labour will only get one term of government due to the frankly enormous shit pile they are set to inherit.

I can see the general populace becoming fairly swiftly disillusioned if they aren't able to pull quite a few rabbits out of a shit load of hats.

Ged

• junky
#3152 Re: Politics 2020
October 22, 2022, 03:16:14 pm
The thing I can't wrap my head around here is who are these 100 suporting the return of Johnson? And are any of them the same people who resigned 3 months ago? I know we've seen a lot of madness since 2016, but this is just bonkers. I can't help feel that if he runs, he'll win, and somehow win the next ge.

I feel physically sick.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3153 Re: Politics 2020
October 22, 2022, 03:50:22 pm
The thing I can't wrap my head around here is who are these 100 suporting the return of Johnson? And are any of them the same people who resigned 3 months ago? I know we've seen a lot of madness since 2016, but this is just bonkers. I can't help feel that if he runs, he'll win,
Agree.

and somehow win the next ge.
Don’t agree. Brexit hasn’t brought prosperity, his record is emphatically not one of delivery on his manifesto and Starmer is not unacceptable to middle England as Corbyn was. A bit of bombast may be good for a laugh, but when voters can’t afford the things they used to, the house is cold and prospects are dire, its appeal will be greatly lessened. I think he’d fail.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3154 Re: Politics 2020
October 23, 2022, 09:40:35 pm
What dunnyg said. Its a very transparent tactic by Johnson supporters to get out early and put his name in the headlines to build an impression of momentum. I still get the impression he would be short of 100 nominations but obviously I know nothing. It would also risk defections to Labour. I think it will be Sunak.

As I was saying...

Also no fucking way did he have even close to 100 supporters. Fucking narcissistic charlatan.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3155 Re: Politics 2020
October 23, 2022, 10:23:35 pm
The political equivalent of "yeah I have got a girlfriend but you won't know her 'cos she goes to a different school".

Nicked from Twitter

petejh

• forum hero
#3156 Re: Politics 2020
October 23, 2022, 10:33:11 pm
See also:
Early Morning, Spanish Belayer
and
Entered Marathon Under a Friend’s Name
and
It’s a Peg

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3157 Re: Politics 2020
October 23, 2022, 10:40:29 pm
The political equivalent of "yeah I have got a girlfriend but you won't know her 'cos she goes to a different school".

Nicked from Twitter

Well put, even if you did nick it.
Over 100 backers, and still wouldn't run? O, that's why he just rushed back from holiday,  and spent all weekend desperately phoning MPs to gain support,  only getting 8 more public supporters,  and suddenly he just doesn't feel that the time is right?

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3158 Re: Politics 2020
October 23, 2022, 10:48:51 pm
As depressing as this saga has been, Johnson's failed attempt to drum up support and then now dropping out is fucking hilarious.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3159 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 03:23:07 am
As depressing as this saga has been, Johnson's failed attempt to drum up support and then now dropping out is fucking hilarious.

I’d like to imagine, we’re they still at it, the writers of “Yes Minister”; throwing down their pens in utter exasperation, as life outstrips even their wildest, discarded, scripts…

Paul B

• forum hero
#3160 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 10:58:27 am

As someone who's MP came out in support of Boris I'm struggling to see the funny side.

JamieG

• forum hero
#3161 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 12:44:10 pm
I'm struggling to see the funny side.

I have to agree with Paul here. I can see why in theory all this chaos and nonsense should be funny. And I expected myself to enjoy a good laugh at the Tories expense. But I just can't. All this shit isn't happening at a time when the UK is ticking along nicely, there are numerous actual major issues that need sorting out by a competent government. And instead we get the freak show. I'm equally depressed and angry. I think it is really going to hit home this winter how far we've sunk.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3162 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 12:46:26 pm
more shitshow than freakshow.

galpinos

• forum hero
#3163 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 12:56:15 pm

I have to agree with Paul here. I can see why in theory all this chaos and nonsense should be funny. And I expected myself to enjoy a good laugh at the Tories expense. But I just can't. All this shit isn't happening at a time when the UK is ticking along nicely, there are numerous actual major issues that need sorting out by a competent government. And instead we get the freak show. I'm equally depressed and angry. I think it is really going to hit home this winter how far we've sunk.

Agree with the above and would also add, I find the "Thank God it's Sunak" narrative the epitome of this. Part of Johnson's awful partygate government, disastaerous spring statement (for those who aren't comfortably well off), lost the leadership race to Liz Truss (lost to LIZ TRUSS!) and now we are meant to welcome him with open arms. Bonkers, with Sunak and Hunt I feel we will see the demise of our public funded services, austerity 2.0, whilst those on lower incomes find it even harder to make ends meet.

I find Kier's statements this morning on protests and unions pretty depressing and his general pitch totally uninspiring but God we need the Tories out.

ali k

• junky
#3164 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 01:23:19 pm
I find the "Thank God it's Sunak"…lost the leadership race to Liz Truss (lost to LIZ TRUSS!)

Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but not sure Sunak can be criticised for this part. It just shows how racist and batshit crazy the Tory membership is.

galpinos

• forum hero
#3165 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 02:06:47 pm
I find the "Thank God it's Sunak"…lost the leadership race to Liz Truss (lost to LIZ TRUSS!)

Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but not sure Sunak can be criticised for this part. It just shows how racist and batshit crazy the Tory membership is.

No, true, but quite a year to go through all that and end up as our PM and "Saviour of the Conservative Party".

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3166 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 02:25:05 pm

To be clear, I agree entirely that this is a terrible state of affairs for the whole country, there's no denying that. We are being completely screwed by a thoroughly incompetent government who are doing serious damage to people's lives.
However, after relentless depressing news, and the time spent wondering if Johnson really is returning so soon...

There were reasons why he had to leave office and they haven’t gone away.
Because they were literally a matter of weeks ago! Incredible to think some will try to claim we can move on from all of that already

I expect more than mere chaos if he returns.
Agreed. This has got to be the tipping point. Not that any other Tory PM would be much better, but returning to Johnson crosses a line for sure.

... I do find the pathetic downfall and backtrack to be pretty comedic. We're currently pretty powerless to do anything but feel angry, but when Johnson and co. have to publish embarrassing backtracks, yeah I'm gonna laugh at them.

As someone who's MP came out in support of Boris I'm struggling to see the funny side.
I get that - fortunately I've recently moved but the MP for the area I've spent the vast majority of my life was one of Johnson's backers. We did already know how shit he is though so I guess I just didn't see it as any surprise. I feel for you that you still have to deal with them - fingers crossed for a timely unseating.

TobyD

• forum hero
#3167 Re: Politics 2020
October 24, 2022, 11:10:16 pm
Tweet by Larry the Downing Street Cat:

Rishi Sunak is becoming Prime Minister. His family is loaded so caviar and lobster on the menu for me from tomorrow.
I mean, sure he was recently rejected in an actual election and had the bright idea of subsidising people to eat indoors while an airborne virus was killing tens of thousands of people, but, you know, lobster and caviar.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3168 Re: Politics 2020
October 25, 2022, 08:20:43 pm
What the fucking fuck is this fucking cabinet? So much for settling things down and not causing waves etc.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3169 Re: Politics 2020
October 25, 2022, 09:02:54 pm
Quote from: Damian Green MP
New cabinet has solid experience

Ah yes, solid experience... of being previously removed from ministerial roles for breaking the rules. Robert Jenrick, Gavin Williamson, Suella Braverman literally 7 days ago. There are no doubt more I've missed  :wall:

Edit: Williamson x2. Grant Shapps.
Honourable mention too to Michael Gove - he doesn't fit this list, but he is a colossal dick and should never be near government at all. I'll stop there though, before my list of honourable mentions stretches to the entire cabinet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:16:31 pm by edshakey »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

TobyD

• forum hero
#3171 Re: Politics 2020
October 26, 2022, 08:37:49 am
Quote from: Damian Green MP
New cabinet has solid experience
Honourable mention too to Michael Gove - he doesn't fit this list, but he is a colossal dick and should never be near government at all. I'll stop there though, before my list of honourable mentions stretches to the entire cabinet.

What did you expect? You clearly don't like Gove- I have no particular liking for him either- but there's no doubt hes extremely experienced,  effective in government.  He has been doing some decent work around building cladding I believe,  and politically,  a wise choice as hes obviously someone who might be dangerous to have on the back benches.  People like Mel Stride and Andrew Mitchell have the potential to be decent ministers and have experience.  I didn't vote for them, and I'd rather the Labour front bench were there, but its better than Truss or Johnson. 

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3172 Re: Politics 2020
October 26, 2022, 09:09:49 am
It’s clearly better than Truss or Johnson*. Unless you’re poor; I doubt you’ll notice any improvement then.

The markets will be happier with more balanced accounting. The BoE will probably push interest rates less high than otherwise, which may mean less pain for mortgages ( but still lots of pain, to be clear). The moron premium may come down. Nevertheless, this round of austerity won’t be cutting fat; it’ll be bone.

*(Braverman and Coffey excepted)

TobyD

• forum hero
#3173 Re: Politics 2020
October 26, 2022, 10:14:23 am
It’s clearly better than Truss or Johnson*. Unless you’re poor; I doubt you’ll notice any improvement then.

The markets will be happier with more balanced accounting. The BoE will probably push interest rates less high than otherwise, which may mean less pain for mortgages ( but still lots of pain, to be clear). The moron premium may come down. Nevertheless, this round of austerity won’t be cutting fat; it’ll be bone.

*(Braverman and Coffey excepted)

Perhaps no improvement from the current circumstances, but no government would suddenly make everything better at the moment, and things won't be as bad as if Truss had continued with her crazy economic strategy. Although Braverman in particular seems an odd choice, its clearly a political sop to the Conservative hard right, and he may be thinking that the home office is a difficult department, and she'll probably do something incompetent and get herself sacked again within a few weeks so he can put someone better there.
I'm trying to look on the bright side, it could have been the return of Johnson, which would have been much worse. It is also a good thing that the UK has a British Indian PM, when many governments around Europe are heading into some pretty dark right wing places. I'm not cheerleading for the Conservative party, but it could be worse.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3174 Re: Politics 2020
October 26, 2022, 10:21:43 am
it could be worse.
Yes, it could be. We agree on that.

I think we should temper relief that sterling is not about to collapse with the realisation that our public services will instead. Schools are going bust; social care and the health service can’t cope; food banks to feed people who would otherwise starve in our much vaunted 6th biggest economy in the world no longer think they can feed all those in need. The environment which our society stands on is also in serous, dangerous decline.

I see no evidence that Sunak will seriously address these multiple crises. I’d be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal