UKBouldering.com

Politics 2023 (Read 476503 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#650 Re: Politics 2020
December 18, 2020, 10:04:13 am
Newham runs out of funds to maintain levels of free school meals: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/17/free-school-meals-scheme-one-uk-poorest-areas-faces-axe-newham-london

Interesting, but sadly not surprising, that Rees-Mogg should dismIss UNICEF’s work inSouthwark as a ‘disgusting ... political stunt’. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55354958

Anything to avoid responsibility. Immiserating people in one of the richest countries in the world is a political choice, as is the chaotic school management in the pandemic.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#651 Re: Politics 2020
December 18, 2020, 10:00:19 pm
Newham runs out of funds to maintain levels of free school meals: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/17/free-school-meals-scheme-one-uk-poorest-areas-faces-axe-newham-london

Interesting, but sadly not surprising, that Rees-Mogg should dismIss UNICEF’s work inSouthwark as a ‘disgusting ... political stunt’. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55354958

Anything to avoid responsibility. Immiserating people in one of the richest countries in the world is a political choice, as is the chaotic school management in the pandemic.

Indeed,  christ knows how Gavin Williamson is still in a job. I'd be bloody livid if I was a secondary school teacher; and JRM... it's as though Boris has employed him specifically to say something really stupid every so often to distract people from BJ having done something even more incompetent himself. 

Nigel

• forum hero
#652 Re: Politics 2020
December 21, 2020, 06:27:27 am
No flights to most of Europe, cross Channel freight blocked, Kent backed up with queing lorries. Got to hand it to Johnson, after being late to the party on everything else all year, on this one he's ten days early.

tomtom

• forum hero
#653 Re: Politics 2020
December 21, 2020, 09:45:36 am
Turkeys voting for Christmas seems apposite now...

TobyD

• forum hero
#654 Re: Politics 2020
December 21, 2020, 10:23:12 pm
No flights to most of Europe, cross Channel freight blocked, Kent backed up with queing lorries. Got to hand it to Johnson, after being late to the party on everything else all year, on this one he's ten days early.

It's ok  plenty more things he can fuck up before the end of the year, but by being late to them. But will he keep his job? A lot of his party are very annoyed about the Christmas debacle and anything resembling a lockdown. A lot of others about the absence of levelling up and some other ones about the planning laws....

sdm

• forum abuser
#655 Re: Politics 2020
December 21, 2020, 11:10:59 pm
I don't think he'll go yet.

They won't want his replacement to have to bring in new lockdowns or to be in charge for the short term problems caused by brexit.

My current guess would be Johnson announcing that his job is done after vaccinating the majority of the country towards the end of spring. Allowing the next person to take over just in time for a triumphant reopening of everything in the summer.

But that is based on someone like Hunt or Sunak pulling the strings. If someone like Patel, Gove or Raab can mobilise enough of the crazies to mount a challenge, then all bets are off.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#656 Re: Politics 2020
December 21, 2020, 11:37:02 pm
the short term problems caused by brexit

:lol:
 :'(
 :wall:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#657 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:02:42 am
Depends on how you define "short" Will....

I mean, long term the sun is going to explode and obliterate earth. But to guess the old tory crusties might look that old, but...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#658 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:16:00 am
Depends on how you define "short" Will....

I mean, long term the sun is going to explode and obliterate earth. But to guess the old tory crusties might look that old, but...

Most of them started looking that old at around 15 years old. Reece-Mogg was actually lifted out of a black obsidian Sarcophagus, found under a mass grave of child corpses about 200 mtrs East of the Sphinx; rather than born.

tomtom

• forum hero
#659 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 08:52:39 am
From this mornings today interview:

Priti Patel: "The government has consistently throughout this year been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures with regards to coronavirus."

Priti Patel: "We don't know the trajectory of the virus. None of us can sit through and forecast where this will go."

🤦‍♂️

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#660 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 09:02:27 am
Claivoyant and inept at the same time. Shrodinger's Minister.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#661 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 09:32:29 am

TobyD

• forum hero
#662 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 09:51:21 am

Priti Patel: "The government has consistently throughout this year been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures with regards to coronavirus."

Priti Patel: "We don't know the trajectory of the virus. None of us can sit through and forecast where this will go."

🤦‍♂️

Yesterday, Grant Shapps insisted that they only knew about the new virus strain on Friday last week. Hancock talked about it in the Commons on Monday.
Clearly you have to be able to lie shamelessly to be in the cabinet.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#663 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 10:49:21 am

🤦‍♂️

Yesterday, Grant Shapps insisted that they only knew about the new virus strain on Friday last week. Hancock talked about it in the Commons on Monday.

Lying is a prerequisite of Tory scum membership.

TobyD

• forum hero
#664 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 11:55:53 am

‍♂️

That sort of thing when said by Labour politicians is one reason why Labour hardly ever get elected. Conservative politicians, or voters are not scum. They are just people like you and I with a set of beliefs. Some Conservative politicians are very competent, and trustworthy. I wouldn't trust some Labour members one inch. I daresay the same is true of any mainstream party.

However it is a shame that the entire current cabinet with a couple of possible exceptions are only there to make Boris Johnson look slightly less shit. Surely its better to criticise people on the evidence of their performance instead of decrying them as intrinsically evil, which they patently aren't.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#665 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:06:09 pm

‍♂️

That sort of thing when said by Labour politicians is one reason why Labour hardly ever get elected. Conservative politicians, or voters are not scum. They are just people like you and I with a set of beliefs. Some Conservative politicians are very competent, and trustworthy. I wouldn't trust some Labour members one inch. I daresay the same is true of any mainstream party.

However it is a shame that the entire current cabinet with a couple of possible exceptions are only there to make Boris Johnson look slightly less shit. Surely its better to criticise people on the evidence of their performance instead of decrying them as intrinsically evil, which they patently aren't.

I get your, point, and generally agree. However, Priti Patel I think, may, actually be genuinely evil.

tomtom

• forum hero
#666 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:09:14 pm
As an academic, the worst type of student I encounter is one who is both arrogant and a bit thick. PP seems to fall into those categories.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#667 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:20:06 pm

That sort of thing when said by Labour politicians is one reason why Labour hardly ever get elected.

Are they any actual incidences of such comments being made by Labour politicians then? Excluding the recent Rayner-gate (and subsequent rapid apology), which followed pretty offensive allegations of opportunism if I remember correctly.

Sound to me more like a lazy stereotype, which is exactly what you are trying to argue against.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#668 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:39:54 pm

‍♂️

Name one competent, honest, genuine Tory. I'll wait. You'll be a while.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#669 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:46:33 pm
Dominic grieve.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#670 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:50:07 pm

‍♂️

Name one competent, honest, genuine Tory. I'll wait. You'll be a while.

Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve are the first names that spring to mind. I'm sure I could think of more. The fact that you don't specify that I need to agree with their politics means I could probably name quite a few.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#671 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:52:34 pm
Dominic grieve.

He's now independent. So yeah, so honest and competent he left the party  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:59:39 pm by Andy F »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#672 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:53:55 pm
Dominic grieve.

Baroness Warsi is a decent politician and person I think.

petejh

• forum hero
#673 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 12:59:54 pm

That sort of thing when said by Labour politicians is one reason why Labour hardly ever get elected.

Are they any actual incidences of such comments being made by Labour politicians then? Excluding the recent Rayner-gate (and subsequent rapid apology), which followed pretty offensive allegations of opportunism if I remember correctly.

Sound to me more like a lazy stereotype, which is exactly what you are trying to argue against.

So apart from the time it was captured on tv in parliament (because presumably that doesn't count)?
No, none..

Allegations of opportunism being felt to be offensive..?
Not unlike any barbed allegation made by any politician, ever. Pretty standard fare in a democracy - see 'PPE-gate opportunism, 2020, tory party et al'.
Lots of people see Labour as using the covid crisis, like any crisis, as an opportunity for political gain. They'd be crazy not. Just have to be careful not to be seen to be doing so *too* much. It doesn't justify politicians calling each other scum.

If politics is war without the bloodshed as it has been called, then if politicians started labelling the other scum in response to being 'offended' - like being offended is a heinous crime against humanity, but only humanity on the side of righteousness - it wouldn't be very long before society added the blood.

Andy F. I'd take a stab that when all is said and done the truth is you're no more of an honest, competent or genuine human than *most* other humans, tories, labour included. I'd even include Welsh labour although I believe there's a special corner of hell reserved for them.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#674 Re: Politics 2020
December 22, 2020, 01:07:35 pm
Dominic grieve.

Baroness Warsi is a decent politician and person I think.

Why is it all the decent ones leave?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal