UKBouldering.com

ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS (Read 3909 times)

SB

• regular
ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
November 29, 2019, 12:01:47 pm
Folks,

Scottish Woodlands have informed us of some timber operations that impact on access to Kyloe in the Woods over the next couple of months.

Thinning operations will be taking place adjacent to the agreed access route for 6 - 8 weeks, beginning this Monday (2 Dec).  They have withdrawn access during the week, Monday – Friday and will be posting no access signs at the entry point.

However, work is unlikely to be taking place at weekends. (Though the signs will remain in place.) So, if no forestry work is under way then the track can be used.  If you enter on this basis and do encounter any forestry activity then please leave as quickly and safely as possible. Don’t wait to be asked.

If you are challenged then politely use the rationale above to explain your presence. We have a great relationship with Scottish Woodlands and given the significance of this crag it’s important we keep it that way.

Please do not, under any circumstances visit the crag during the week, and at the weekend be flexible.  If you’re travelling a significant distance then it would be a good idea to have an alternative option up your sleeve.

I’ll update as and when fresh access information becomes available.

Steve

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
November 29, 2019, 12:15:51 pm
Thanks Steve.

Can they thin the trees above the crag if asked nicely?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
November 29, 2019, 06:56:06 pm
Can they thin the trees above the crag if asked nicely?

:agree: :goodidea: :please:

Beat me to it. Some of the best mid-grade routes in the county that are generally unclimbable (luckily I got to them 15 years ago before they got too bad).

SB

• regular
#3 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
November 30, 2019, 11:50:50 am
At some point in the future Scottish Woodlands will thin the trees above the crag. They don't have a date for this and in reality their operations are often dictated by the weather. The work that's limiting access now is the result of rescheduling because of the recent wet period. They know we (climbers) have a keen interest in trying to get the crag into better condition and will let us know when the area above the crag is to be thinned.

However, that thinning the wood above will probably not make that much difference to the walls. What needs to be addressed is the slope/moustache on exits to routes. The forward slope is a huge sponge that gradually releases water down the walls..... At the very edge it is a tangled mass of roots and removal and chopping back would be quite a task. I've done this repeatedly on the High Tea wall over the years, along with stripping the moss and lichen. Despite which it all regrows within a year. Indeed stripping it seems to stimulate regrowth...

BITD it never used to be so mossy or lichenous  and the speed of regrowth is possibly an impact of climate change combined with an absence of Acid Rain...... (Is there a scientist who can comment?)

The upshot is that any meaningful cleaning effort on the routes is a very big job and in my experience has a short term effect....

Steve

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
November 30, 2019, 05:15:59 pm
Thanks for the info Steve, it is a pity about that. I guess the routes' reputations and peoples' first impressions might put them off giving them enough traffic even when clean...

jdal

• regular
#5 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 01, 2019, 07:15:07 pm
Not a scientist, but I'd put money on tree encroachment changing the microclimate. There was a great spot for lichen in Holystone oak woods until they cleared an adjacent stand of conifers and the lichen disapeared.The soil on these crags is already acidic so i doubt acid rain at would have much effect. Warmer winters may have an effect, but not much. Get Scottish Woodlands to clear fell the escarpment for a 100 metres or so back, also the crag base. But then it wouldn't be so sheltered for bouldering of course.

gme

• forum hero
#6 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 01, 2019, 08:53:35 pm
Something has changed in the last 30+ years. Without digging old photos out the crag has always had loads of trees at the top. Some at the bottom are a lot bigger and have been cleared back before but in my mind the tops not changed that much so I guess have also been cut back.
There used to be a lot more people going there in the 80s and stuff got done more. The bobby dazzler slab to high tea area was always pretty clean and everything got done and I don’t ever remember having to clean them.
Even if you did a new route it didn’t need cleaning like they do now.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 01, 2019, 09:44:09 pm
I remember going there in the early 1980’s and abbing down the Entertainer to clean it because it looked so green. However once on the rope it turned out the holds were clean, they just looked green from below.
I guess if things look dirty folk don’t do them, then they do get dirty.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#8 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 07:56:57 am
Doing a bit of clearing at the top would great. It would be pretty cool to top out things like Monks Life.

This was my intention when I did it, but unfortunately, it always seemed, when it was cold enough to do the problem the top was always wet! I am sure a bit of tree thinning and some tlc it would be fine!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 09:01:26 am
Nothing a blast of Agent Orange wouldn't fix.

Lets just blame climate change and climbing wall culture.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#10 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 09:13:17 am
Could follow the sterling example set by SNH  :blink:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50600816

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 09:27:22 am
Shit, that's not good.

It will pay to remove the fallen trees.

Well thanks a fucking bunch..

jdal

• regular
#12 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 12:45:29 pm
We'll beech trees certainly aren't native in Scotland.  Anyhow, I still claim that taking back stuff from the edge and getting rid of the stuff at the bottom of the crag is the only thing that'd  help.

Maybe there's some nitrate pollution going on? Just a thought.

gme

• forum hero
#13 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 02, 2019, 01:04:57 pm
I dont think much needs doing to the bottom, its a lot more open than it was in the 90s and i think it was cut back at some point.

Most of the stuff at the top is self seeding and i dont think there would be an issue with cutting them as its not of any commercial value. Steve would know more. Back Bowden had this issue a while back and the work done there has made a huge difference.

Re topping out. We used to top out bad finger/company and the routes to the left plus montys quite regularly and i actually saw someone doing so last year for the first time in a long while. They are all very easy and i dont think add that much to the climbing and suspect even if cleaned wouldn't get done much. However the loss of bobby dazzler area to the moss is a real shame as they are slabs that would be up there with the best in font.

SB

• regular
#14 Re: ACCESS TO KYLOE IN THE WOODS
December 04, 2019, 03:37:01 pm
Kyloe in the Woods.

Regarding the Christmas/New Year period.

Further to my earlier post.

Scottish Woodlands don’t anticipate any operations at Kyloe In from the 21st December until the 2nd January.  (However the no access  signage will remain in place.) So, if no forestry work is under way then the track can be used.  If you enter on this basis and do encounter any forestry activity then please leave as quickly and safely as possible. Don’t wait to be asked.

As stated in the first post, if you are challenged then politely use the rationale above to explain your presence. We have a great relationship with Scottish Woodlands and given the significance of this crag it’s important we keep it that way.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal