UKBouldering.com

Dune [split from film thread] (Read 3748 times)

Mr E S Capegoat

Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 06:59:22 am
Thought I’d split this off to avoid annoying the local intelligentsia with potentially distracting nonsense, from the serious business of discussing film. Dune is deep man, and has so many great quotes to apply hermeneutics too. I like this one, particularly in relation to Freud’s theories on discontent and the manifestation of neurosis in the individual who is struggling to ‘tow the party line’ (of the ukbc / energy systems community or the BritishSadoMasochisticClub)

‘There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times to develop psychic muscles’

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 07:38:39 am
I really liked the first book; not so keen on the sequels: too much sand trout for my taste.  The film was a good effort but I suspect far more unintentionally comedic than was intended.  [and it's "toe the line"]

Mr E S Capegoat

#2 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 07:45:03 am
Dammit moose, wwwwwhhhhyyyyyy !!!!!!
Can’t believe Jason Mamoa is playing Duncan Idaho. I hope he’s been working his ancap rather than aeropow, he’ll benefit from the hypercapillarisation if he’s to survive Arakis in a still suit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 01:17:17 pm
I really liked the first book; not so keen on the sequels: too much sand trout for my taste.  The film was a good effort but I suspect far more unintentionally comedic than was intended.  [and it's "toe the line"]

I read the first Dune book when I was 14 - and loved it. Then devoured the rest and by the end was left a bit meh. The films have always disappointed compared to the images / memory of the first book from my 14 year olds brain.

I guess I could re-read the first one - I might like it again. Or it might disappoint the great image/feeling I have about it from my (now) distant memory.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 01:27:00 pm
Do reread the first one, you’ll gain a lot more than even a bright and empathetic fourteen year old ever could. And definitely more than a self involved brat like I was.

The Lynch film should have been a series or something. It doesn’t work as a film at all. But there are many brilliant things in it; not least the casting, costumes, set design.

I like but don’t love Villeneuves films so am interested but not frothing. Thinking of doing a 2049 edit myself; there is a great film in there somewhere, that wouldn’t ruin the original.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 04:04:07 pm
I hope you’ve all watched the Jodorowski Dune documentary https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

If not, rent it tonight - it’s flippin’ brilliant.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 17, 2019, 04:05:41 pm
Watched the film as a kid, the only thing I can remember liking was sand worms  :worms: :worms: :worms:

Mr E S Capegoat

#7 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 06:58:07 am
Was the sand worm a metaphor for something?

crzylgs

• stalker
#8 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 12:27:35 pm
I guess I could re-read the first one - I might like it again. Or it might disappoint the great image/feeling I have about it from my (now) distant memory.

I'm almost certain it would not disappoint. You'd probably get even more from it. I'm in a similar boat having read the entire series ~20yrs ago. Tempted to re-read at least the first, but I have a stack of new books I need to get around to reading before I commit to re-reads!

The Lynch film should have been a series or something. It doesn’t work as a film at all. But there are many brilliant things in it; not least the casting, costumes, set design.

I agree. I've got a soft-spot (due to my love of Herbert's Dune universe) for the Lynch film and don't think it's as bad as many people do. However, there are parts that simply don't work/make sens/are plain badly done.

The TV series that came out around 2000-2003, from memory (rose tinted spectacles?) was actually OK but I haven't gone back to re-watch since it's release.

I hope you’ve all watched the Jodorowski Dune documentary https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

If not, rent it tonight - it’s flippin’ brilliant.

Excellent documentary. Although I think the film that Jodorowski so fondly fantasises about in the documentary would have been an even bigger failure than Lynch's effort and probably never been released following some 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' worthy production hell.

Can’t believe Jason Mamoa is playing Duncan Idaho.

The Duncan Idaho character is such an interesting concept deeply loyal and predictably rebellious eternal guardian. I was surprised by that choice but in Denis we trust! The assembled cast that's been released so far is incredible. For me Denis Villeneuve can do very little wrong and has really gone from strength to strength:

Prisoners - well constructed drama, good performances across the board, ratchets up the tension.

Enemy - so this one is a bit of an oddity. Being a fan of Fight Club, I view this film from a similar position. It's not satire but very little is meant to be taken literally, which I get doesn't work for the majority of movie going audience but if you want to have a metaphorical discussion of one man's struggle with modern life and commitment/relationships this is a decent film for you.

Sicario - the palpable tension of the boarder crossing scene alone makes this a worthy watch.

Arrival - one of my favourite films of the last ~5yrs, deeply moving and poignant. Amy Adams is magnificent. A superb example of using the sci-fi genre to examine some of humanities biggest questions of regret, love, loss, life, pain, grief.

Blade Runner 2049 - watched this in a brand spanking new 'iSense' cinema and was blown away by the cinematic sensory over-load. For me Blade Runner (either the director of preferably the final cut... not the original with voice over) is one of the greatest of all time. So for a sequel to manage to not ruin or shit on that is a pretty big achievement. I think the story at about the 2/3rds mark(?) drags but there is plenty to admire. The sound design and Zimmer score, Deakins cinematography, distopian world imagery, got a bit of a huge man-crush on Ryan Gosling and liked his performance along with most of the cast especially Dave Bautista (who i could have done with more of!), the 'Baseline Tests' are so dark and scarily well executed... How long until corporate/government bodies find a way to normalise such practices? :D

Perhaps I'm a bit of a 'fan boi' but  :bow: and I'll be aiming for an opening night seat for Dune come 2020!

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#9 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:00:34 pm

So for a sequel to manage to not ruin or shit on that is a pretty big achievement.

? But it does ruin it.

It could easily not have, anyway i don't want this to become a spoiler thread.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#10 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:05:51 pm
I really enjoyed 2049 at the IMAX and have shied away from rewatching it at home as I’m concerned that most of the impact in the cinema was from the audiovisual overload.

Sicario is one of my favourite films and Dune one of my favourite books, so well up for this remake.

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:17:00 pm
I loved 2049 (even if it could be 15 mins shorter) and have rewatched it at home a couple of times and still loved it (we do have a big 4k telly though)

Mr E S Capegoat

#12 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:21:41 pm
Aye, Sicario is a great watch. I listened to an interview with Roger Deakins on his ‘low light’ choices back when I was obsessed by cinematography. Plus one of the great uses of drone footage huh?!

On a different note I only recently discovered David Lynch’s Dune wasn’t well received. I’ve always loved it from the quality of the film and aspect ratio to the slightly confused narrative.

I was wondering if you were to re-cast it with members of the climbing Community who would be who?
I’ve got Ondra as the Kwisatz Haderach and Megos as Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.

Any suggestions for the ‘Baron’ and ‘ Glossu ‘The Beast’ Rabban Harkonnen?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:28:49 pm
John Gaskins as the Reverend Mother Mohiam...

I really like Lynch’s Dune, though I’ve not read (very much of) the book.

Mr E S Capegoat

#14 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:44:47 pm
Hehe I wonder if he’d teach us ‘the weirding way’?

Redhead for Stilgar?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#15 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 02:49:07 pm
Men have tried, and died. It is very sustained...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#16 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 04:17:38 pm
😂😂

Crzylgs - I think the appeal of Jodorowski’s Dune is that it never got made and we’re all better off for it. 

There’s so much of the screenplay and production design that ended up in other movies that we should be grateful that it never made it past the early stages.

Mr E S Capegoat

#17 Re: Dune [split from film thread]
November 18, 2019, 04:51:32 pm
Dunney for beast Rabban and Barrows for the Mentat Thufir Howat?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal