UKBouldering.com

Hard and easy blocs peak district (Read 4227 times)

Dinodinosaur

Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 11:51:27 am
Looking at doing a bit more bouldering in the Peak over this winter.

What I'm after may not exist but, I'm on the hunt for venues with a variety of easier problems (up to F5+) and a few harder ones (F6B - F7B) and ideally should be mostly decent landings.

Burbage valley is great for the easy stuff but not much harder, and stanage plantation has a reasonable mix but not so much easier stuff. So I've been having a look through the guidebooks but it's hard to tell if the problems are any good too. So thought I'd ask on here to see what ukb recommends

JamieG

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 11:57:19 am
Curbar would fit the bill.

Trackside boulder has a mix of both easy and hard problems in those grade ranges.

Further up the hill, the mini prow boulder and gorilla slab have some nice easy problems. Likewise the gorilla warfare pit and bad landing boulder have excellent harder problems.

Dries quickly and short walk in too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:00:25 pm
I think most places have a mix of problems... trying hard to think of sizeable venues that don’t apart from BBG S! :)

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:05:51 pm

No hard problems in the Burbage Valley ??  :-\

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#4 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:08:43 pm
At Stanage the Lone Boulder has a great selction of easier stuff, pretty much all you need right there but there's also the back of business boulder, crozzle block and pebble. Also some nice stuff up on the causeway.

At Burbage South while the valley boulders have limited harder stuff therer's loads of quality pronblems in that grade range on the edge.

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:30:33 pm
I think most places have a mix of problems... trying hard to think of sizeable venues that don’t apart from BBG S! :)

Isn't BBG S the perfect venue for this? Shed loads of easier problems on the boulders, and then things like The Alliance, Electrical Storm, etc. on the edge? Or walk up a bit further for Boyager, Zaffs, Terrace, etc.

Admittedly might not fit the "good landings" bit in places but this is the UK not Font.

Alternatives:
- Roaches
- Cratcliffe / Robin Hood's Stride

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:49:16 pm
The boulders in the valley are a bit of a thrash away from the edge...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 12:53:09 pm
They're a 2 minute womble once the bracken is down you slovenly oik. But yeah it's not ideal. The entire rest of the Peak District is though!!

Dinodinosaur

#8 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 01:10:06 pm
At Burbage South while the valley boulders have limited harder stuff therer's loads of quality pronblems in that grade range on the edge.

Good point! I hadn't thought of doubling up with the edge, admittedly it is a little bash across the bracken but certainly would work.

When I said burbage valley not having hard bouldering I meant the boulderfield itself and didn't include the edges

Cheers guys

Dinodinosaur

#9 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 01:11:43 pm
They're a 2 minute womble once the bracken is down you slovenly oik. But yeah it's not ideal. The entire rest of the Peak District is though!!

Yeah once that bracken had gone I'd imagine it ain't too bad

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#10 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 01:26:06 pm
^ what they said. Burbage S is perfect combining valley and edge. It will be easy to walk in winter as the bracken dies back.

Roaches combined with Newstones, Baldstones and Gib Tor also good combination (Newstones and Gib Tor are less than 3 minutes from parking).

Cratcliffe and Robin Hood’s Stride also fit the bill.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#11 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 01:27:02 pm
Within the boulders themselves you have Pock, Puck Sit, Dog Pound, The Sheep, crimpy wall on useful block and Tiger(?) in the higher grade range which are all ok, plus Triangle Wall not quite on the edge at one end and Mini Prow and Violence in the quarry which is an easy stroll on a decent path.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#12 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 02:03:38 pm
24 problems between 6B and 7B at the boulders in the valley.
http://peakbouldering.info/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&min_grade=70&max_grade=100&min_stars=0&area=1&rock_type=-1&crag=37&attributes=all&commit=Go
Dog Sit can be done without the footblock. So that's 25.
Plus there's Talk to Me Martin at 7B+ and Little Pig at 9B

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#13 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 02:50:03 pm
I'd put Baslow on the list too. Plenty of stuff at the 6b range on the low edges near the road, and then harder things further down (e.g. Hot Ziggerty, Fact Hunt, Flatworld etc etc) and then the stuff on the Eagle Stone and Walnut boulders.

Easy to combine with a Curbar hit too.

andy popp

• forum hero
#14 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 03:41:17 pm
^ what they said. Burbage S is perfect combining valley and edge.

And Celtic Cross/Little Gem sat right next to each other on top of the edge/quarry.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#15 Re: Hard and easy blocs peak district
October 25, 2019, 03:54:51 pm
^ what they said. Burbage S is perfect combining valley and edge.

And Celtic Cross/Little Gem sat right next to each other on top of the edge/quarry.
Unfortunately CC has suffered damage and is probably now more like 6B/+ and no longer the same quality either.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal