UKBouldering.com

Maynard Grindleford - ceasing operations (Read 2507 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
Maynard Grindleford - ceasing operations
October 03, 2019, 07:52:22 pm
Probably only of interest to Peak locals but it appears the Maynard has been sold and will cease operations on 28th October - http://themaynard.co.uk/

Where is the BMC going to hold the peak area meets now?!?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Where is the BMC going to hold the peak area meets now?!?

Becky is on the case and asking for recs on FB if anyone has sugggestions

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Becky must have felt the  psychic shock! I was chatting to her about this in the last meeting, partly as the food quality had really declined. We need the almost impossible combination of a biggish room (often 70+ at these meetings) as accessible by car and public transport from across the Peak Area as possible,  where we can easily set up projector facilities for talks, where the venue can provide cheapish good food of some kind, with beer and free parking available if possible.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Becky must have felt the  psychic shock! I was chatting to her about this in the last meeting, partly as the food quality had really declined.

The chips were skinnier but the sandwiches were just as good I thought. The main complaint was that the chips were cold but that’s just ‘cos most people didn’t come up until they’d been sitting there for 15 minutes.

as accessible by car and public transport from across the Peak Area as possible, 

Didn’t there used to be some meetings in Glossop and near the Roaches? Are those venues still available?

I’ve no idea about planning permission and property development- is it feasible that the Maynard will turn into anything other than basically the same sort of pub/ restaurant thing that will have us back?

danm

• junky
I really like a pint myself but it's about time we moved area meetings out of pubs, imho. It's been mentioned wrt to other organisations recently as a barrier to minorities, I think we need to move with the times? This may mean biting the bullet and looking at city centre or more urban locations for meets where a wider selection of venues exist and transport links are better?

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
I'm with Dan, the small-time feel of a pub meeting is very pleasant, but more practical to look for other types of venue I would have thought.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
We need the almost impossible combination of a biggish room (often 70+ at these meetings) as accessible by car and public transport from across the Peak Area as possible,  where we can easily set up projector facilities for talks, where the venue can provide cheapish good food of some kind, with beer and free parking available if possible.

Ikea?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

Ikea?

Please please no.

As for dan's suggestion. I'd be delighted if we had more minorities at the Peak Area meets but I'm not at all convinced they were not there because they were being put off by The Maynard (which was a hotel with a function room and food oriented bar area). I think it was the best venue we ever had (and as a bonus was walking distance from the railway) and saw the largest BMC area meetings ever. Climbing Walls work well in other areas but thats where numbers are much lower. Other venues might well charge quite a bit (hotels will often give the room for free based on food and drink sales). I'm sure there are alternatives, like a big village hall (for a village on the railway)....the NW area and Midlands area sometimes have a rugby club venue. Things have really moved on in the Peak from some bad times, like when Henry, Mike, Lynn, Neil, Claire and I formed half the attendees in a small village pub.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Don't know whether they charge but the Hassop cafe have afunction room, do food, beers, etc

Hydraulic Man

• player
That's  good shout....The Institute in Bamford is a good space but no bar or food although it is across the road from the Anglers which does both..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal