UKBouldering.com

Magic wood Season (Read 7689 times)

Dna

Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 10:01:07 am
Hi, just after some info on Magic wood and how long into the season you can keep climbing there. I've heard that due to its altitude it is impossible to get to from a certain time of year. If its possible to climb there at the moment how long will it be generally before its not?? Thanks for your help.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 10:03:02 am
Good question!  I'm looking to book some cheap flights with Ryan air (25p innit) and wondered when the season was and what airport might be near by :8)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 10:46:21 am
Nearest Airport is Bergamo, easyjet had 2p flights on the other week. You'll need to hire a car as its about 2.5 hours drive into swiss from the airport.

Christina who runs the Gasthof Edelweiss said that the snow season can be from October through to Easter, so its probably worth checking out the weather before you book. She speaks good English though, so you could do worse than ringing her and asking...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 11:45:52 am
Cheers!

Do you have a number for her or is it in the guide book (that I don't have)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 11:48:42 am
Where's Bergamo? I can't find it on the easyjet flight path.  Is it Ryan air?

Dna

#5 Magic wood Season
October 07, 2004, 12:25:58 pm
Thanks for the information. Thats cool that Ryanair is so daman cheap. I was going to take the car and drive solo style but maybe think again. I guess that if Magic wood is out of action then Cresciano is fairly close!? Thanks again.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 Magic wood Season
October 08, 2004, 10:22:13 am
Cresciano is about 1.5hrs down the road from Averstal, 80 kilometres if memory serves.

Sorry, I meant RyanAir. You do have to go from the worlds shittiest airport (stansted) though - cue 45 mins waiting for bags on the way back/3hrs to sheffield.

Bergamo is Milan, airport code BGY, check with your car hire dudes about crossing borders, Hertz let you but some others might want extra moola, and if you cross into swiss by Bellinzona be prepared to have to buy this wierd sticker thing that allows you on the toll road, but costs about 50 euros.

If you are driving then the Clifford said 18hours from leeds.

Will see if I can find a number for danny and christina.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Magic wood Season
October 11, 2004, 06:26:31 pm
You are a donkey of truth and light :wink:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#8 Magic wood Season
October 14, 2004, 11:42:22 pm
i heard the altitude makes cresciano a viable summer venue? whats the best time to go?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Magic wood Season
October 16, 2004, 11:43:49 am
Magic wood is at 1240m and is suitable from May till October. Cresciano is fucking baking all summer, you can climb there, but think like stanage on a hot day and you ain't doing owt hard - except perhaps les grottes soupirs which is in a cave and on massive incut jugs.

Most seem to go to Cresciano from Jan til about May.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#10 Magic wood Season
October 27, 2004, 02:53:53 pm
Don't know who has booked what but for general info we have just left Magic Wood and at the moment it is soaking wet with the forecast in Switzerland rubbish for the next 5 days. So maybe the season is over.  Having said that we abandonned there last weekend when it snowed and yet had perfect conditions this weekend!  :lol:

Cresciano is a bit hot still at the moment, the weather in Tiscino is warm foggy and sweaty.  Chironico and Brione are much better options at present.  :wink:

For cheap appartments try www.interhomes.? (ch / com?)

Spent last night in Saas Fee car park (as you do) and it snowed like crazy down to about 100m above car park level  (1800m).  We were lucky to get out alive!  So loads of passes are going to start closing.

Good luck, see you in Font

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal