UKBouldering.com

Cordless fans (Read 22377 times)

Mr_Cus

• player
#75 Re: Cordless fans
June 14, 2023, 01:49:30 pm
Anyone got any recent fan beta? I've had a bit of a look around but can't find many good deals.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#76 Re: Cordless fans
June 14, 2023, 03:07:39 pm
Anyone got any recent fan beta? I've had a bit of a look around but can't find many good deals.

Most people go with Makita that's quite slim and can slide inside a pad.

Best ive used though is a Milwaukee one, and with the 12a/h battery last all day.

Bradders

• forum hero
#77 Re: Cordless fans
June 14, 2023, 04:39:23 pm
Issue with the Makita being once you've bought batteries as well you're going to be spending c. £130-150.

Although unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way round the cost these days if you want a larger power tool style one.

Another more cost effective option would be to go for a smaller desk type one. Loads of different options about and can't recommend any in particular (have a look on Amazon would be easiest). However these have the advantages of being much, much cheaper and being lighter / less bulky so easy to carry in to the crag. Personally I find when actually climbing you never really feel the effect of a larger fan anyway, or at least not in any material way unless it's on something very lowball and you set the fan up just so it's blowing on a particular hold etc. It's main utility therefore is to simply cool your skin down between attempts, which a smaller fan does perfectly well.

Having said all that, until about 2 weeks ago I had one made by Ozito (Australian company, randomly sold the fan in Homebase but now discontinued)  which took Einhell batteries. One day it just stopped working, despite years of faithful service and no obvious damage. I'd love to get it repaired if anyone knows how that might be done?!

In the meantime I've replaced it with an Einhell fan, which is bulkier but still cheaper than a Makita and means I can use the same batteries. Lucky really as they're only sold in the EU and the Ozito happened to break while on holiday!

mark20

• junky
#78 Re: Cordless fans
June 14, 2023, 10:10:06 pm
If you've got the batteries for one brand then I'd just go for their fan. I've got the Milwaukee one as I had the batteries, and it seems pretty good (only used it once outside because of embarrassment!). Annoyingly bulky so won't go in a pad but the stats say it's moves more air than the Makita. It also has the advantage of running on a AC adapter, so I can set it up on mains for my fingerboard at home.
If I had to buy the batteries aswell... I'd just go Makita because it goes in a pad easier. Just check and it looks like this can run on an AC adapter too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#79 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 08:25:17 am
I had thought about that, as I have 2 Hitachi Cordless Drills (which I think is now Hikoki) , this fan looks great (the site looks dubious!) but not sure the batteries would fit anyway.

https://www.hikoki-powertools.com/products/powertools/li-ion-misc/uf18dsal/uf18dsal.html

Is there any interchangeability between manufacturer's batteries? From the pictures it looks not, annoyingly. (without any dubious jiggery pokery at least!).

thunderbeest

• regular
#80 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 09:56:58 am
It's main utility therefore is to simply cool your skin down between attempts, which a smaller fan does perfectly well.

I'd always hoped it would help to get the air moving in some cave like boulders?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#81 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 10:31:45 am
That was my thought too, especially to get rid of coastal smeg.

yetix

• forum abuser
#82 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 10:47:47 am
With a bit of creativity you can defo cool down key holds on a boulder.

I have a tiny fan, a small makita and a larger one and the biggest is much better for even just cooling hands, just too heavy for a big walk in...

Duncan campbell

• junky
#83 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 12:08:41 pm
Are they any good for getting rid of midges?? Or not that powerful?

Bradders

• forum hero
#84 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 12:26:29 pm
It's main utility therefore is to simply cool your skin down between attempts, which a smaller fan does perfectly well.

I'd always hoped it would help to get the air moving in some cave like boulders?

Yes they can do that, it's just fairly niche. For instance I think the time it most helped me do a problem was on a freezing cold night with frost descending, having the fan on kept the air circulating under the base of the problem and stopped the holds condensing.

All a balance isn't it though and not everyone wants to spend up to a couple hundred pounds on a big one let alone carry it about. If you just want to cool skin down that's very achievable with a smaller / cheaper one.

Are they any good for getting rid of midges?? Or not that powerful?

I've used mine for this once and it did work, but only when I directed it straight at my face from close up. The midges kept being caught in the blades, so each time I moved to have another go on the problem there was a pile of dead midges in my lap :lol:

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#85 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 12:53:09 pm
As nick mentioned, usually best to just get one that matches any batteries you already have to save some dollar. I did that with a dewalt fan and have been pretty happy with it. Lasts me around 2 hours if I keep it on at full blast without turning it off.

Fans are wonderful for drying holds when they get sweaty, case in point:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqGRi1VIt4d/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

In this weather I darent go out without my fan, I’ve even been taking it to depot when climbing indoors and it makes the session bareable whilst I watch everyone else sweat their tits off  :lol:

yetix

• forum abuser
#86 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 01:51:26 pm
If you put a citronella candle behind the fan it'll keep midges away from the area it blows through, so a little better than just a fan imo, ofc make sure your candle isnt somewhere you could make a fire though.

But when camping people use the candles to keep midges at bay.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#87 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 01:59:08 pm
I've heard good things about these., but not tried personally https://www.thesmokinmidge.com/shop

JJP

• addict
#88 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 04:34:21 pm

I am looking at getting an impact driver, fan and batteries in near future.  Bit taken aback at cost :o
Going with makita.
Know the fan I want and assume that even the more basic impact drivers should be fine for me as it for general DIY stuff and homeboard.
Is the idea with the batteries that all the makita batteries will work with all makita kit and that the more you spend the better/ longer lasting the battery is?

Duncan campbell

• junky
#89 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 04:44:35 pm
I've heard good things about these., but not tried personally https://www.thesmokinmidge.com/shop

Whoah that looks good!!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#90 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 04:59:14 pm
My Makita one has completely dried out condensation in Tom's Roof in a few minutes.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#91 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 05:34:33 pm

I am looking at getting an impact driver, fan and batteries in near future.  Bit taken aback at cost :o
Going with makita.
Know the fan I want and assume that even the more basic impact drivers should be fine for me as it for general DIY stuff and homeboard.
Is the idea with the batteries that all the makita batteries will work with all makita kit and that the more you spend the better/ longer lasting the battery is?

almost all makita stuff is 18 volt, all those batteries fit all the machines.
there are also 14,4 volt and 40 volt lines, those run on separate battery systems.
the batteries go up in price depending on the amp(ere)'s. a 5 amp battery will last approx 2,5 times longer than a 2 amp battery , that is go time on one charge. apart from that there are no qualitative differences between the batteries. (more amp ones are heavier)

Paul B

• forum hero
#92 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 06:12:44 pm
Pedantry perhaps but isn't Ah Amp hours?

Bradders

• forum hero
#93 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 06:34:56 pm

Going with makita.

Yes to most intents and purposes Makita batteries work with all Makita kit.

It is really annoying that there isn't a single standard for power tool battery mounting. Quite anti-competitive really considering it means once you start buying things from a given manufacturer you're essentially locked in.

JJP

• addict
#94 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 06:42:51 pm

Cheers folks
That info really helped decipher the options - have ordered impact driver and went for the 18 v 5 Ah battery as reckon will be better for future when add the portable fan.

Mr_Cus

• player
#95 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 07:59:56 pm
Also thanks from me for all the really good info.  I was hoping for good news of some mega deal like the ozito one but alas, I think those times have long passed. 

Still unsure what to do.  Tempted to take a punt on one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0BW5NZGB2/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3FCMC6JTQWLD5&psc=1 but worried I'll just regret it.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#96 Re: Cordless fans
June 15, 2023, 10:38:56 pm

Going with makita.

Yes to most intents and purposes Makita batteries work with all Makita kit.

It is really annoying that there isn't a single standard for power tool battery mounting. Quite anti-competitive really considering it means once you start buying things from a given manufacturer you're essentially locked in.

Long overdue an EU law on power tool battery standards :worms:

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#97 Re: Cordless fans
June 16, 2023, 06:32:28 am
Pedantry perhaps but isn't Ah Amp hours?

Yes

Nigel

• forum hero
#98 Re: Cordless fans
June 16, 2023, 10:39:54 am

This problem of getting 18v from one arrangement of prongs to another has been solved by aftermarket adapters. If you google e.g. Dewalt to makita 18v battery adapter lots of results will come up. Likewise for most major brands. They obvs only work in one direction but if you're already "invested" in e.g. Dewalt but want a makita / milwaukee etc fan then for for £15 and some added bulk its totally doable. Not ideal for a handheld tool like an impact driver, but should be fine on a fan.

Bradders

• forum hero
#99 Re: Cordless fans
June 16, 2023, 11:30:54 am

This problem of getting 18v from one arrangement of prongs to another has been solved by aftermarket adapters. If you google e.g. Dewalt to makita 18v battery adapter lots of results will come up. Likewise for most major brands. They obvs only work in one direction but if you're already "invested" in e.g. Dewalt but want a makita / milwaukee etc fan then for for £15 and some added bulk its totally doable. Not ideal for a handheld tool like an impact driver, but should be fine on a fan.

Interesting, thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal