UKBouldering.com

Hueco Tanks (Read 2381 times)

Mr.Burns

• stalker
Hueco Tanks
October 06, 2004, 09:40:45 am
Hueco Tanks is open and is still the world's best and sunniest winter bouldering destination. There's a new colour guidebook which explains how it all works, written by Matt Wilder, on sale mid November. It even includes full-page photos of Dave Thomas and Matt Birch You can get a sunny colour sneak preview of the famous East Spur Maze area here. Reported 2nd October 2004

Found on climbonline

Does this mean all the restrictions have been lifted?

Anyone know the score?

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Hueco Tanks
October 06, 2004, 01:48:24 pm
I haven't seen it, but pound to a penny Dave Thomas is pictured wearing a pair of black tights, a black vest, and probably a weight belt.

dave

#2 Hueco Tanks
October 06, 2004, 01:50:16 pm
don't forget NHS specs.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Hueco Tanks
October 06, 2004, 10:00:24 pm
I think the ban is still on.  You can get into one side of the mountain (east?) with a pass and only go to the other side with a guide.

I'm soooooooooooo psyched to go :D
The first time I planned a trip I found out that they had banned climbing and the second time my shoulder kept playing up.  Maybe 3rd time lucky

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Hueco Tanks
October 07, 2004, 04:47:23 pm
http://www.wolverinepublishing.com/images/east%20spur%20maze.pdf

I spent 6 weeks here in 95 - oh happy days... :roll:

Actually the topo seems to have missed off the rather excellent sds to Uncut Funk - shurely shtome mishtake? :?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Hueco Tanks
October 07, 2004, 05:06:11 pm
I think I've just cum

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#6 Hueco Tanks
October 07, 2004, 06:50:06 pm
Hueco has been mostly open for the last 3 years or so. As usual, in order to climb in the park, you have to go through the typical American bullshit rigmarole of booking and buying a ticket for each day you want to climb. These passes are avaliable only for climbing on North mountain, and only a certain number are avaliable each day. If you want to climb on east or west mountain, or the east spur maze, you need to book a trip with a guide which is a further expense. Obviously, this assumes that you have endured the 'orientation lecture' at the ranger station, where you watch a film telling you to suck eggs (ie: don't leave litter, don't shit in the park, don't stomp on plants, don't interfere with the wildlife - although some of it would probably kill you anyway, and so on)

What we found was that if you visit in US college holidays, all the students book all the places on North mountain, regardless of if they use them or not. This means that if you haven't pre-booked a pass, you have to wait until mid-day to see how many lazy bastards haven't turned up to use their block-booked passes. (E.g: US student takes a 2 week break to Hueco, and book a place on North mountain every day of their trip. After one day they are trashed and take 2 rest days, without telling the rangers that they no longer need a pass for their 2 rest days. Meanwhile, everybody else has to wait all morning untill the rangers decide that the lazy sods aren't going to show, and then they reissue the passes to you.

Apologies for the rant, but this level of beaurocracy really pisses me off. Hueco is one of the World's best bouldering areas, but its located in the wrong country......and now they will finger-print you when you enter the US of A. Go to Rocklands, thats my advice, and leave the Yanks to drown in their rules and regulations!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#7 Hueco Tanks
October 07, 2004, 07:17:46 pm
have to say im with Mr B on this one, I found the registering and waiting for passes really fucked me off. Im not saying its wrong, the park would be completely off limits without such shenanigans, but it just was so much effort to go bouldering for a day. Visited far cooler and in my opinion better venues in the states than Hueco.........:saythat:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal