UKBouldering.com

Errrm, wrists. (Read 3237 times)

Paz

• junky
Errrm, wrists.
October 04, 2004, 01:37:00 pm
Now as has previously been alluded to I can often be seen staggering to and from crags under the massive weight of my gargantuan rucksack, and as I've previously explained this contains a small boy who comes with me everywhere, and his wrists are fine, (and I don't look at dead fit birds who go climbing too often) so I'm quite sure that even though I'm a bandy legged trad hex clinker I've actually hurt my wrists when climbing (though possibly into the loft).  

It hurts a bit when I stretch my wrist into extension and flexion, i.e. when I bend it forward and back, but I think I've hurt it with the wrist in extension e.g. when mantelling, or doing what I call pushing or pressing (when the angle of your elbow increases (using your triceps etc. in extension) instead of decreases (flexes, in which case you're pulling with your biceps etc.)  Has anyone ever had this, is it just a sprain?

I've got to book transport to a conference in France today or tommorrow so I have to decide whether to go to Font (mantelling) or Ceuse (cranking) or stay in Aussois (big snowy things and slabby sport routes) at the same time.

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Errrm, wrists.
October 04, 2004, 02:35:15 pm
i've had this i think.it was caused by falling over with a similar rucksac to yours and putting my hand out to stop myself.i had physio on it but what seemed to sort was anti inflammatorys.voltarol.

i get the odd twinge now but this seems to sort out with stretching.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Errrm, wrists.
October 07, 2004, 11:07:44 pm
Maybe you should go to the wall a bit more often - all that climbing outside has clearly weakened your wrists. :wink:

Dolly

• forum hero
#3 Errrm, wrists.
October 08, 2004, 09:21:38 pm
Still recovering from a MTB accident 9 weeks ago where I flew 10 ft through the air to land on my head and wrists.
Am getting better thanks to Glucosamine sulphate and exercises with one of those physio balls.
Went to see Sports injury masseur 3 weeks ago who did some painful stuff to me. He told me that all climbers have overdeveloped flexors and underdeveloped extensors in the forearm (fairly obvious if you think about it) This means that we find it harder to recover from wrist injuries as our radial nerves are trapped by our flexors. Therefore the thing to do is to compensate by exercising our extensors.
Basically the exercises work but it can take months  :(  

BTW he recommends that all climbers get their radial nerves freed at least once a year. If anyone's interested I'll describe the pain in more detail.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#4 Errrm, wrists.
October 08, 2004, 10:18:23 pm
Therefore the thing to do is to compensate by exercising our extensors.
Basically the exercises work but it can take months

those metolious ball thingies r designed specially to do that i think.

BTW he recommends that all climbers get their radial nerves freed at least once a year.

what exactly does this entail?

Dolly

• forum hero
#5 Errrm, wrists.
October 09, 2004, 08:23:13 pm
Basically putting loads of pressure on the most painful part of your forearm.  If you want to know what I mean just squeeze your arm until you find the most painful bit on the top (extensors)
He used both thumbs to press up and down the nerve while I made a fist.
I was literally crying with pain at the end - but it seems to have done something.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#6 Errrm, wrists.
October 09, 2004, 08:27:11 pm
aye i can feel that. it sort of hurts 3 inches down from the bottom of my palm on the inside of my forearm. is this right?

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Errrm, wrists.
October 09, 2004, 09:00:10 pm
No no  - try on the top.
Press down hard  -   roll your hand over your forearm till the ligaments hurt
I can't believe I'm typing this ...

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#8 Errrm, wrists.
October 09, 2004, 09:16:43 pm
nothin...oh well...

Paz

• junky
#9 Errrm, wrists.
October 22, 2004, 05:00:08 pm
Quote from: "Pantontino"
Maybe you should go to the wall a bit more often - all that climbing outside has clearly weakened your wrists. :wink:

It's gone, it must have been just a sprain by trying to matnel into my loft when I thought the roof was going to collapse during a heavy rain storm.  

Pantontino - I would but don't you find the problem's inside are all a bit `North Wales' style :wink: ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal