UKBouldering.com

App Assistance Sought (Read 1489 times)

WilliCrater

App Assistance Sought
March 28, 2019, 06:43:58 am
Greeting.  I am hoping to get some help from one or two UKB members.  Apologies if this post is a bit long and rambling, but I wanted to give a clear idea of context to what I'm after.

A little while ago I decided to learn how to develop stuff using the android framework for mobile devices.  To aid in this  I wanted to choose an real world app (of my choosing) to work on  that was non-trivial, but not too involved, preferably  involving climbing (to maintain my interest). Around the time I was struggling to think of something  appropriate I came across an article of Steve Maclure’s from an old issue of Climb in which he was discussing the importance of identifying your weaknesses in order to improve and described how he and a bunch of mates would rate each others climbing according to a set of attributes: tenacity, confidence, technique, finger strength, etc  (15 attributes in all).  Then the results can be combined to infer what aspects of your climbing are strong and which are weak and therefore what things you are most likely to benefit from working on. I decided an 'implementation' of this idea would satisfy my criteria, and have dutifully produced the first version of it and made it publicly available.

Which brings me to what I'd appreciate assistance with.  The set of 15 attributes that I provide as a default set are fairly general.  What I was thinking of doing is adding slightly more targeted sets: one each for trad, sport, and bouldering.  I would expect each of these have to some elements in common (I would imagine technique to  important to each of these three disciplines, for example) and some to be present/absent between disciplines (endurance I'd suggest  being important to trad climbing, but not for bouldering).

What I was hoping to get help with is coming up with what the actual  attributes might be for each discipline.  So if anyone has any ideas of what factors might be important for bouldering (or trad/sport) I'd like to hear them.

If anyone’s interested, the app can be downloaded from http://adventureapps.online/index.html#apps.  There's  a version you can download directly as an apk file – you'll need to temporarily enable the "allow apps from unknown sources"  in your settings to install it – and possibly disable the google play protect.  If you'd rather get it  from a more formal location, then it's also available in the google play store, and from amazon as a kindle app  (you need to pay around a quid in this case though).

Thanks for listening (metaphorically)!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal