UKBouldering.com

Statement of Youth (Read 12570 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Statement of Youth
March 20, 2019, 09:53:56 pm
Loved this, what an ace film, like being 19 again. Well put together, good footage,  coherent story. And Ned on Revelations  :o

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2018/10/statement_of_youth_trailer-71753

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#1 Re: Statement of Youth
March 20, 2019, 10:50:10 pm
Is the whole film available to watch yet?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Statement of Youth
March 20, 2019, 11:07:45 pm
I watched a screening at Manchester climbing wall- the download will be available after it has shown in Kendal I believe. Till then it’s at a few walls I think.

He explains the factors that made Hunter House Road the hardest climbing street in the UK rather well I think. I liked the argument as well as the nostalgia- & there’s some really cool footage of the time.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#3 Re: Statement of Youth
March 21, 2019, 07:19:27 am
It’s already shown at Kendal. Think there are screenings at some walls then a premiere in Sheffield (odd way round) then it will be available to watch online.

Not seen it but good on Alan (UKC/rockfall evil overlord  :lol: ) for putting the money into this. I think it will be a great film.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 10:01:23 am
Sheffield premiere last night, absolute triumph. Props to Nick for really nailing it. The focus is very narrow - on the Hunter House road crew and sport climbing only - but it's a tighter film for it. Good to see a lot of the protagonists in the room and thoroughly enjoying it along with amusing their families.

Q & A started well but unfortunately ended in a rather tedious gender politics cul-de-sac. Get well soon Jerry.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#5 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 10:34:52 am
Wot Adam said.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and thought what we saw of the Q and A session added to it well. Bashers comments re. Participation in and promotion of climbing have really changed my mind about a few issues.
Sounds like we were lucky to have to go and relieve the baby sitter just as the gender politics got going.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 11:01:37 am
Bashers comments re. Participation in and promotion of climbing have really changed my mind about a few issues.

We didn't stay for the Q&A bit this sounds interesting. What was the jist?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 12:19:32 pm
Saw this last night too - really enjoyed it - well done those involved.  Good Q&A until gender politics but that was just one person with an axe to grind I suspect.  Nick did a good job.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#8 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 12:28:08 pm
Sheffield premiere last night, absolute triumph. Props to Nick for really nailing it. The focus is very narrow - on the Hunter House road crew and sport climbing only - but it's a tighter film for it. Good to see a lot of the protagonists in the room and thoroughly enjoying it along with amusing their families.

Q & A started well but unfortunately ended in a rather tedious gender politics cul-de-sac. Get well soon Jerry.

Spot on ...

On a side issue its a shame to see you still don't realise my type of hero was the man I sat next to at the end, not the beginning (big numbers were never my thing.... style and community contribution still are), and I really hope no one got my cold.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#9 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 12:51:33 pm
I was out with Paul Clarke a couple of weekends ago and we were talking about this film. Hunter House Road came up and he laughed. He'd been round to pick up Basher or someone and they were all on a rest day and the house stunk of onions.
"We're resting today. On a rest day, all you can eat is boiled onions. If you boil 'em for ages they've got no nutritional value but they still make you feel full. Great!"

Anyone care to elaborate more on the Q&A stuff? Both what Basher said and what the gender thing was? Love a bit of goss, me.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 02:55:24 pm

Get well soon Jerry.
Please clarify?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 03:00:50 pm
According to Basher he was in Lanzarote last week, got dumped on his head in the shorebreak and compressed 3 vertebrae. Recovering well but a hell of a knock.

Not so much goss Will, just seemed to be to be a bit tangential.  Props to Basher and Debbie for handling it well.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 03:12:57 pm
Ouch!
Cheers Johnny.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 03:50:31 pm
Famara i'll bet. Some sketchy sandbars there.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 05:06:47 pm
Re: Jerry's injury which was originally not diagnosed, was transported to G.Canaria for surgery - rods inserted to stabilise the fractures (C5-7).  On the mend hopefully.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#15 Re: Statement of Youth
April 26, 2019, 05:17:14 pm
 :jaw:
Fucking hell!!!

Doylo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 09:02:43 pm
I may be biased as it’s my favourite era but SOY is the best British climbing film in years. Great work Nick B.

user deactivated

#17 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 09:07:25 pm
Jesus Doylo U BroWn NoSer

Wood FT

• forum hero
#18 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 09:07:54 pm
I may be biased as it’s my favourite era but SOY is the best British climbing film in years. Great work Nick B.

Yeah I loved it too, fantastic. So glad it’s been recorded this way. It was really stirring watching those routes get done in tandem at the end.

Thanks, Nick.

Doylo

• forum hero
#19 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 10:23:33 pm
Jesus Doylo U BroWn NoSer

Credit where it’s due OldBoy. Most the others are awful.

user deactivated

#20 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 10:30:42 pm
Still the brown Nosing is unbeaRable, U R sacked from The EdiToRiaL with immediate immediacy. SlArTY, TWatface and the Team

user deactivated

#21 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 10:49:08 pm
We could have an Online scrap like Shark and Offwidth?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#22 Re: Statement of Youth
May 19, 2019, 10:51:11 pm
like Don Quixote with a broken Caps Lock key; tilting at wind-mills, fighting hard with the gifts of obscenity and imagination against a largely imaginary enemy.

user deactivated

#23 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 11:00:28 am
Don’t talk about Shark like that, how rude.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 12:03:04 pm
Update on JM's injury?

petejh

• forum hero
#25 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 10:11:51 pm
Thought this was ace. Well put together with the old footage mixed in with some nice reenactment stuff - loved seeing the footage of Jerry on Liquid Ambar. Hopefully it'll inspire one or two of today's wads to see if they're good enough to climb a testpiece power-endurance 8c+ which has defeated most...  :fishing:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#26 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 10:27:14 pm
I enjoyed the film. Nice old skool footage. It would have been even better if I'd been alive during that era. It oozed nostalgia. Great stuff.

I don't want to lead this thread into a rather tedious gender politics cul-de-sac, but it was a strikingly male film.
I'm not necessarily having a go at it for that as I'm guessing that was quite representative of the scene at the time. Particularly Hunter House Road and the development of sport climbing. Were there any women who were active in bringing hard sport into the UK? I'm aware of Ruth Jenkins' contribution but have a feeling that her era was the 90s? Was Airlie around/involved or did she come later too? Sorry - genuine ignorance on my part.

andy popp

• forum hero
#27 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 10:44:06 pm
Airlie and Ruth were more the 90s. Bonny Masson and Claudie Dunn were probably important early female sport climbers. As I remember Geraldine largely climbed (and presumably still climbs) trad. I'm sure there are more though. The 80s scenes simply were very male, that was true of Beris too.

gme

• forum hero
#28 Re: Statement of Youth
May 20, 2019, 11:03:01 pm
I loved this but I obviously would. However nostalgia aside I think Nic’s done a great job. It truly was an amazing time for climbing that really inspired many of us who started during the era.

And re the male focus, there really were not many women climbing then might be hard to believe now but there were literally a hand full. I didn’t see a female climbing in Northumberland or the lakes in the 80s. Only Bonny Masson in Yorkshire.
Even in the early 90s there were not many.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#29 Re: Statement of Youth
May 21, 2019, 06:55:10 am
As I remember Geraldine largely climbed (and presumably still climbs) trad.

I suspect the "still" part may be unlikely since she lives on Kalymnos

Doylo

• forum hero
#30 Re: Statement of Youth
May 21, 2019, 08:44:50 am
Thought this was ace. Well put together with the old footage mixed in with some nice reenactment stuff - loved seeing the footage of Jerry on Liquid Ambar. Hopefully it'll inspire one or two of today's wads to see if they're good enough to climb a testpiece power-endurance 8c+ which has defeated most...  :fishing:

Never thought I’d see any new footage of Jez on LA. And on Hubble too, looking pretty strong on it.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Statement of Youth
May 21, 2019, 09:31:07 am
Update on JM's injury?

Saw Ben Moon couple of days ago - JM doing well, neck brace off.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#33 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 01:31:04 pm
I just watched it and it's absolutely brilliant!

On a side note, unless there was some hi-tech editing, Ned did actually solo Revelations, didn't he?
I think this should have deserved more recognition.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#34 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 01:36:56 pm
I just watched it and it's absolutely brilliant!

On a side note, unless there was some hi-tech editing, Ned did actually solo Revelations, didn't he?
I think this should have deserved more recognition.

There was a photo on Facebook somewhere of the biggest pad stack you've ever seen at the bottom of it.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 02:25:13 pm
Thank you, fair enough.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#36 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 02:52:40 pm
Not sure of the details but I don't think he did it all in a one-er either.

Just to explore Will's theme a little further, I couldn't help noticing it was also a strikingly white film. And not only that, although the protagonists sexuality wasn't explicitly explored, there were strongly heterosexual tones. I had really hoped that a more modern, inclusive view of the 1980's Hunter House Road scene might have recast it somewhere along the lines of Pose/ Paris is Burning?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#37 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:08:41 pm
Not sure of the details but I don't think he did it all in a one-er either.

Just to explore Will's theme a little further, I couldn't help noticing it was also a strikingly white film. And not only that, although the protagonists sexuality wasn't explicitly explored, there were strongly heterosexual tones. I had really hoped that a more modern, inclusive view of the 1980's Hunter House Road scene might have recast it somewhere along the lines of Pose/ Paris is Burning?

It was also a strikingly male film, which earlier in the thread sounds like was glossed over a little in the q&a? Although I wasn't there so pure conjecture.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#38 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:13:01 pm
I don't think it's a problem that it was a very white/straight/male film because it sounds like that's how the scene was at the time. I wasn't suggesting that we should alter history to fit with modern sensibilities, nor should we impose our values on how we judge historical people or events.

petejh

• forum hero
#39 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:20:53 pm
Is pointing out that the 80s climbing scene was very white and male not extremely obvious though? Maybe not to those born in the 1990s?

A bit like saying the orangutan enclosure at Chester Zoo is very ape and hairy.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#40 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:23:24 pm
Quite. Which is why I considered it a pointless cul-de-sac. (Sorry, spidermonkey09, I was at the Q&A, it wasn't glossed over at all, and I am now taking the piss).

It's a documentary about a very small group of friends in their early twenties. I know it is the fashionable angle of 2019, but I really can't see the point in exploring why they represented a narrow demographic any more than exploring why there weren't any lesbian asians in Cool Runnings.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#41 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:33:16 pm
Apologies, I missed the pisstaking! I agree with all of the above. Although pretty sure some of the pics of Andy Pollitt were Glenn Robbins shots, which might have a slight homoerotic angle! (see the Jam Crack with Glenn, a great listen).

Doylo

• forum hero
#42 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:37:30 pm
Some of them must have gone down ‘bournville boulevard’ during barron spells.

petejh

• forum hero
#43 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:40:49 pm
Some of them must have gone down ‘bournville boulevard’ during barron spells.

To be fair who wouldn't want a bit of this man-action:

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#44 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:46:28 pm
I enjoyed the film a lot, a UK equivalent to Valley Uprising, structurally and in its mythologising. It romanticised the crapness of the early 80s but only a little. I was only a visitor and never a resident of 84 but it seemed a pretty accurate portrait. Like Revelations it underplayed the drug taking but as some of the protagonists now have jobs and children that’s not a big surprise.

The biggest change in climbing in the last 30 years has been the increase in women participating. In 1984 it was almost solely the preserve of badly adjusted heterosexual (or very closeted, Glen Robbins the notable exception) white men. I was struck by this when watching the film but can’t see how it could have been otherwise.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#45 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:53:59 pm
While watching it I idly wondered how many of the (I presume) virulently anti-Thatcher protaganists at the time might have voted for her in their current incarnations as businessmen? NB: I may be ascribing political views to them that they didn't hold; no idea!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#46 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 03:59:31 pm
...any more than exploring why there weren't any lesbian asians in Cool Runnings.

Completely aside from this discussion, I would love to see a Hollywood version of Statement of Youth in the style of Cool Runnings.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#47 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 04:31:22 pm
While watching it I idly wondered how many of the (I presume) virulently anti-Thatcher protaganists at the time might have voted for her in their current incarnations as businessmen? NB: I may be ascribing political views to them that they didn't hold; no idea!

There's been some discussion along these lines on the UKC thread...

Completely aside from this discussion, I would love to see a Hollywood version of Statement of Youth in the style of Cool Runnings.

Just as long as they find a role for John Candy.

gme

• forum hero
#48 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 04:40:55 pm

You obviously have a very stereotypical view of business men as I would suggest very few in the film vote as you suggest. One definitely does but suggest a vast majority don’t.   
Along similar lines it’s interesting how many ex enterprise allowance scheme members went on to be successful business men.

gme

• forum hero
#49 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 04:44:11 pm
And if you think that 80s sheffield climbing was white male and straight you should have seen Northumberland.

Most in this film should have been looked at as pretty camp boys up north.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#50 Re: Statement of Youth
May 22, 2019, 04:54:39 pm

You obviously have a very stereotypical view of business men as I would suggest very few in the film vote as you suggest. One definitely does but suggest a vast majority don’t.   
Along similar lines it’s interesting how many ex enterprise allowance scheme members went on to be successful business men.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone in the film votes; as I say, it was merely an idle thought based on the general trend of people being youthful radicals and becoming more conservative as time goes on.

Re the EAS, that point was made on the ukc thread; makes sense to me as it effectively de-risked starting ones own business as far as I can tell. Sure plenty made much of it even if a few used it as climbing sponsorship!

grimer

• forum hero
#51 Re: Statement of Youth
May 23, 2019, 09:11:41 am
I really enjoyed the film, especially the second half. Maybe I knoew the HHR stuff from Revelations, but it was just great to watch Ben and Jerry climbing in their prime, and the cutting together of Liquid Amber and Hubble was really good.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#52 Re: Statement of Youth
May 23, 2019, 11:19:58 am
...any more than exploring why there weren't any lesbian asians in Cool Runnings.

Tell you what, it'll require some screenwriting genius to segway the story into climbing Hubble in a bobsleigh.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#53 Re: Statement of Youth
May 23, 2019, 03:51:12 pm
Segue in a Segway, doubly impressive.

(not sure the eggcorn was intentional or not)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#54 Re: Statement of Youth
June 04, 2019, 11:37:48 am
And not only that, although the protagonists sexuality wasn't explicitly explored, there were strongly heterosexual tones.

Hmmmmmm I didn't that tone quite as strongly given some of those old photos  :)

It was good fun, I like how things progressed and particular the ben and jerry stuff in parallel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal