UKBouldering.com

Really good podcasts (Read 88472 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#250 Re: Really good podcasts
December 31, 2020, 09:54:32 am
I read that more as a comment on how annoying his voice is but may be wrong. I used to listen to TP but he and one of the other presenters who had a horrific habit for smacking his lips as he spoke forced to be give up as it was really getting to me! I always enjoyed the content though so definitely worth a look.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#251 Re: Really good podcasts
December 31, 2020, 10:25:23 am
Strange, I haven't noticed that at all. And I didn't clock his background from the accent, which isn't really plummy.

remus

• forum hero
#252 Re: Really good podcasts
January 13, 2021, 07:37:34 am
Im obviously biased, but I really enjoyed this interview with James Pearson (available as a podcast on spotify, apple etc.)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#253 Re: Really good podcasts
January 17, 2021, 10:42:17 pm
On BBC sounds 6 music artist in residence presented by Loyle Carner, latest one is a great tribute/ retrospective of MF Doom. Obviously,  you have to like MF Doom in the first place!

SamT

• forum hero
#254 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2021, 01:18:27 pm

Legend??!?!

Not sure he's earnt that.  I'll listen to the podcast and maybe have my mind changed.

IanP

• forum abuser
#255 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2021, 01:51:27 pm

Legend??!?!

Not sure he's earnt that.  I'll listen to the podcast and maybe have my mind changed.

I agree that legend may be pushing it but he's certainly got an impressive ticklist these days and he comes across well in the interview which I really enjoyed.

remus

• forum hero
#256 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2021, 02:19:46 pm

Legend??!?!

Not sure what the criteria are for becoming a legend, but he's got a pretty chunky trad ticklist. Selected highlights: https://climbing-history.org/climber/153

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#257 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2021, 02:23:01 pm
Going back to the Talking Politics: History of Ideas, I finished it over the weekend and thought it was excellent. Struggled with Arendt but the rest was really interesting.

Not sure if it's still available but Obama's memoirs were on BBC Sounds. Not great revelations, though some of the gossip about how international relations at big summits goes down was good, but more than anything it was really arresting to hear a senior politician talk in measured tones and to treat his job with humility and passion.

SamT

• forum hero
#258 Re: Really good podcasts
January 18, 2021, 04:25:54 pm
Fully aware of his tick list which is undeniably impressive.

Not sure what the criteria are for becoming a legend,

Charisma, personality maybe.   So far, that's not come across in any vid/interview I've ever seen/watched/heard/read.

Perhaps its hidden behind all the sponsors stickers.

Not listened yet, so perhaps I'm being harsh.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#259 Re: Really good podcasts
February 03, 2021, 05:44:00 pm
If you enjoyed The Fault Line you might enjoy Talking Politics: History of Ideas, a series of lectures on key works of political thought likes Hobbes’ Leviathan, Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Women, Gandhi’s Hind Swaraj or Hayek’s The Road to Serfdom ...

David Runciman has the tone and confidence of a hereditary viscount from St John’s Wood, who won an Eton scholarship, and is now a Cambridge professor. If this doesn’t put you off he’s a brilliant lecturer.

I'm listening to this at the moment and enjoying it hugely. There's complex ideas in there but Runciman explains it well and carefully, allowing laypeople (like me) to engage with some meaty topics. Many thanks, Duncan!

But, I do want to pull you up on the above which I don't feel is relevant. He may be from a privileged background but he's also an academic in his own right. He is self-assured in his delivery (he'll let you know where he disagrees with other commentators and explain why) but not any more so than any other expert.

Just thought I'd mention it as it would be a shame if his background put anybody off listening.

Just noticed this Will. I hope it doesn't put people off.  I mostly listen to it - as an occasional lecturer - marvelling at his ability to construct an argument over 45 minutes. Another series has just started with Rousseau on inequality.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#260 Re: Really good podcasts
February 03, 2021, 05:46:44 pm
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#261 Re: Really good podcasts
February 03, 2021, 08:01:13 pm
Currently working through a few of the Climbsci nutrition podcasts with Tom Herbert and Brian Rigby. Not sure if they qualify as ‘really good’ or just worthwhile. Both seem pretty knowledgeable, although Tom Herbert is (agreeably) the more succinct of the pair by some margin.

Stick on the headphones and go for a walk works well.

https://climbsci.buzzsprout.com/

TobyD

• forum hero
#262 Re: Really good podcasts
February 04, 2021, 08:09:24 am
 Been listening to Power: the Maxwells, it's okay so far although I'm not really into true crime. Worth trying.

TobyD

• forum hero
#263 Re: Really good podcasts
March 10, 2021, 09:39:08 am
Sideways on BBC sounds is worth listening to.  The first one is not as good as the rest, I thought. 

Stories of our Times currently has a three part report on the government's performance in the pandemic.  It's much more scathing than most of what is currently being reported,  surprisingly,  given the source.

Annie Macs Power down Playlist is a great chilled out hour of music with fairly minimal chat.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#264 Re: Really good podcasts
March 16, 2021, 01:15:28 pm
For anyone wanting more info about the Franklin expedition I would recommend this podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-explorers-podcast/id1161063301?i=1000457740672

I am now hooked on the Explorers Podcast as recommended by Davo. Very much enjoyed the story of the Burke and Wills expedition to cross Australia, Magellan's circumnavigation, Pytheas, and now on the series on Francis Drake.

Not sure what the guy's history credentials are, and I don't know anything about the subject matter so can't assess how accurate his reporting is, but he does a good job of explaining the geography of the stories and there are maps and visuals on the website to help you get your bearings.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#265 Re: Really good podcasts
March 16, 2021, 02:44:14 pm
That explorer’s podcast is very addictive indeed. Glad you enjoyed it

TobyD

• forum hero
#266 Re: Really good podcasts
March 21, 2021, 08:15:51 am
For my money the best podcast around, the brilliant cautionary tales is back, the new series is as excellent as previous ones, I especially liked the one about Harold Shipman.

past imperfect is an entertaining long form interview show, I liked the one with Ed Balls, although I've not listened to any others.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#267 Re: Really good podcasts
March 21, 2021, 10:45:41 am
For anyone wanting a sporadic and relatively random podcast on a variety of topics, both climbing and non climbing, I quite enjoy Andy Kirkpatrick's Psychovertical podcast.

Pretty idiosyncratic but there are some gems of climbing knowledge thrown in.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#268 Re: Really good podcasts
March 28, 2021, 05:08:25 pm
Currently binge-listening to The Magnus Archives while doing a lot of boring physio. Top-notch fictional horror (if I recall correctly, the creator's original pitch was something like "a cross between M.R. James and creepypasta").

Initially looks like an anthology format with each ep being a standalone story; rapidly turns out to have recurring elements and emerging narrative arcs.

As of last Thurs, The Magnus Archives completed its five-season, 200-ep run, and they stuck the landing.

Without giving too many spoilers: it manages a clever, clever genre slide from "subtle creeping dread lurking in the corners of our world" in season 1 through to full-on cosmic horror in season 5. It's fucking outstanding and I got totally hooked.

TobyD

• forum hero
#269 Re: Really good podcasts
April 04, 2021, 06:30:12 pm
I occasionally listen to Gastropod which is usually really interesting, it's a sort of food / science / culture show a little like the food program on R4 but more in depth and with more of a scientific bias. Recommended.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#270 Re: Really good podcasts
April 12, 2021, 01:05:18 pm
Not sure it can be classed as really good, and very industry specific, but I did a podcast recently for/with Tom from All Things Arb. If you think you will enjoy listening to a northern man talk about forestry for 42 minutes, give it a whirl.

https://pod.co/allthingsarb/low-impact-forestry-little-kit-with-mike-tyson

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#271 Re: Really good podcasts
May 12, 2021, 02:01:43 am

Tonight I learned that Octopuses have more neurons in their arms than their "brains". I thought, I can relate to that, I'm just not very intelligent  ;D

Excellent series of programmes on The Octopus And The Evolution Of Intelligent Life:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vwvk/episodes/guide

TobyD

• forum hero
#272 Re: Really good podcasts
May 12, 2021, 09:22:14 am

Tonight I learned that Octopuses have more neurons in their arms than their "brains". I thought, I can relate to that, I'm just not very intelligent  ;D

Excellent series of programmes on The Octopus And The Evolution Of Intelligent Life:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vwvk/episodes/guide

I've had the book on my shelf for ages but haven't got around to it yet, it sounds fascinating. 

This was really good; basically an investigation into companies dodging paying tax on government contracts. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6Bds0WApUm0DAbQKTUwCzm?si=ggTcSg82Ske9edh2OH0YxA&utm_source=copy-link

TobyD

• forum hero
#273 Re: Really good podcasts
May 28, 2021, 09:23:12 am
For fans of a pretty lighthearted interview,  Jay Rayner's show 'Out to Lunch' is really good the most recent one with Prof Brian Cox was good.  It's on Spotify etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#274 Re: Really good podcasts
May 28, 2021, 10:25:28 am
ttps://runoutpodcast.com/index.php/2021/03/22/runout-58-dave-graham-goes-off/

DG telling stories and being amusing. Skip the first 20 mins or so if you don't want to hear Andrew Bisharat and Chris Calous just chatting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal