UKBouldering.com

Patios and excavation- when the climb matters more than the place (Read 13456 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
A dead tree lurking near a boulder problem at Gardoms broke and hit me on the head today. Must be something in the air.

Calling of the lime  :dance1:

Easy tiger... it was mint in the shade on Friday... you missed out.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
A dead tree lurking near a boulder problem at Gardoms broke and hit me on the head today. Must be something in the air.

Aye, a dead tree. If you weren’t there to hear it, would it have made a sound?

If we weren't there my mate wouldn't have leaned on it and then it wouldn't have fallen at all :jab:

user deactivated

Calling of the Lancashire quarries

user deactivated

I was descending the ledges above Wee Doris a few years ago when the chap I was climbing with leant on a rotten tree and went right over the edge. Fuck knows how he survived that unscathed. Went about 30 ft

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Calling of the lime  :dance1:

Easy tiger... it was mint in the shade on Friday... you missed out.

Got pretty close on Bens. Just in underpants. Mike Lea and Ste Mac witnessed. Non-grit scene, squared

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I'm still waiting for some good grit connies.

arast

I cringed at around 25.30

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Then to add insult to injury bumped into JB looking like he was having fun. Ffs what else could go wrong on this lovely day??! 
LOL  :lol:

Time to drop the grade and go onsighting
Told ya! :P

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Hell yeah. His necklace is naff as fuck.

user deactivated

Jesus Christ how the hell did you make it that far?

tomtom

• forum hero
I cringed pretty much every time I stopped the fast forward....

user deactivated

Actually thinking about the videos on that feed, I was wondering, are Robbie Philips and Jacob Cook the same person? Or do I keep getting them mixed up in my head.

arast

Jesus Christ how the hell did you make it that far?

Much skipping forward but that was the final straw.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
The landings in North Wales are invariably shit. That, coupled with the abundance of dry stone walls for inspiration, have led me to create some crackers for various projects.  Once someone has climbed something though,  I'd be loathe to alter it in anyway ( unless they've tried and their patio efforts are below par). It's all just moving rocks from one place to another, as long as you spread where you take them from and don't start a quarrying business.
This one's in NWB:
https://hoseyb.blogspot.com/2016/04/patiogeek.html?m=1

Danny

• junky
Apart from the aforementioned cringey necklace in that video, I thought the gardening and hole filling was perfectly OK. I don't think a bit of localised vegetation disturbance is a big deal in the grand scheme, certainly not compared with the many tonnes of carbon that were required to get there in the first place. But that's just my perspective.

Closer to home, anyone who laments a bit of patioing as putting the climb before the place is maybe missing the bigger picture. I mean, the "natural" state of many of our best bits of rock would be buried under layers of peat, vines and moss, which in turn would be buried in dense broadleaf forest. Perhaps if we really wanted to put the place before the climb, this is the kind of environment we'd be aiming to restore?

In my view, doing things like flying less, eating less or no meat, donating to and volunteering with reforestation initiatives (kudos to the Beastmakers for doing this BTW) more meaningfully puts the place before the climb. And I think landing improvements and localised gardening can be very much in keeping with this ethos.

Others will no doubt have different conceptions of what putting the place before the climb might mean.   

(Hosey, that's an excellent bit of patioing. Well done.)

user deactivated

Some good points well made guys. There is a little bit of a difference between excavation and construction as opposed to cleaning. Long may the ‘feeding frenzy’ continue unabated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I mean, the "natural" state of many of our best bits of rock would be buried under layers of peat, vines and moss, which in turn would be buried in dense broadleaf forest. Perhaps if we really wanted to put the place before the climb, this is the kind of environment we'd be aiming to restore?

In my view, doing things like flying less, eating less or no meat, donating to and volunteering with reforestation initiatives (kudos to the Beastmakers for doing this BTW) more meaningfully puts the place before the climb. And I think landing improvements and localised gardening can be very much in keeping with this ethos.

You left out ivy. Soo much ivy. Sally in the wood / Bathford was once curtained in it.

You could offset any perceived environmental harm from cleaning done by picking up a load of plastic litter on the beach, local beauty spot or park.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal