UKBouldering.com

Android Tablets (Read 2138 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 09:45:20 am
Any recommendations?

Criteria are; less than or close to £200, roughly 10" screen. Largely for reading, occasionally watching movies / tv and web browsing. Not bothered about keyboards, any gaming or anything like that.

Looked at the amazon fire 10.1", but the amazon ads sound rather irritating and the idea of paying an extra tenner to disable the pop ups seems particularly irritating.
The samsung tab a 10.1" looks like a good one, any other ideas?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 09:50:52 am
Don't really know about normal tablets (I have a Chromebook as I need a keyboard), but Opera for Android has it's usual inbuilt ad / pop-up blocker if that helps.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 11:26:27 am
We use the big fire tablet. I don't really notice the ads. Have installed Google play on it as well and have no problems.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3 Re: Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 01:28:25 pm
We use the big fire tablet. I don't really notice the ads. Have installed Google play on it as well and have no problems.

Thanks, useful information, I didn't think it was compatible with the Google play apps?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 02:12:40 pm
We have VLC media player on the 3 kindles in our house and they will play just about any movie, film or music in any standard format you load on them, micro SD card can add space if needed. Never tried google play, but googling says it's reasonably easy to do.

chris j

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Android Tablets
January 03, 2019, 06:09:04 pm
I've got a Samsung tab a (t580 model). It's fine, i don't have any complaints.  It won't play the latest games but you wouldn't expect it to at that price.  I use it for movies, web, puzzle games and reading magazines (Readly). Added a good size micro sd card  which gives plenty of space for movies etc for a month when i go away offshore.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Android Tablets
January 04, 2019, 06:16:20 am

Thanks, useful information, I didn't think it was compatible with the Google play apps?

I can't remember exactly which method I used, but a quick google should point you in the right direction - my main reason for doing it was because I didn't want to pay for Minecraft a second time; the lad already had it from google play store, but amazon wanted to charge us again from their store.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal