UKBouldering.com

A Tall Order (Read 13845 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 10:06:40 am
I’m trying to plan a ticklist / plan of attack for 2019 and would like to appeal to the collective wisdom of UKB in the search for suitable problems.

Having spent a quite a lot of my (limited) 2018 outside time trying to contort my 6ft3 frame into positions which it was not designed to be in, I’m unashamedly looking for things that might offer a greater chance of success. Not necessarily TMLs (totally morpho lankfests - although I would be delighted with some of those) but definitely problems on which the taller gentleman is not at an immediate disadvantage.

Grade-wise: mid 6s to 8A (the latter more in the interests of doing a thorough job than my immediate requirements)

Locations: Peak, Yorkshire, Wales, SW, but any more distant suggestions welcome too.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 10:19:07 am
Fluide at Crow Crag would fit the bill. Still hard for the tall, but definitely harder if you're short.And very good.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 10:31:05 am
As an accredited short-arse, I couldn't possibly comment.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 11:56:24 am
Help the Young at Stanage has a tall friendly first and last move

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#4 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 11:56:40 am
Slapstick (8A), Brimham
Vicious Streak (8A), Caley
Chabal (7C+/8A), Gorple
Red Baron Roof (7C+), Shipley Glen probably 7B if you are lanky like Will  :great:
36 Chambers Sit (7C+), Trem
Cindy Crawford (7C), Ilkley
Pinch 32 (7C), Baildon

A few off the top of my head

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 12:01:48 pm
Brass Monkeys at Satanage Plantation?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 12:25:27 pm
Satanage? Sounds like a Devil of a place.

I could name a few, but you'd need to travel...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 12:44:55 pm
I think the scope of the question is too broad. You're not looking for totally-morpho-lankfests, i.e. when you tick the problem you don't want to have feel like you cheated; you want to feel like you deserve the grade or feeling of accomplishment. However, outside of this I can't really think of lots and lots of problems where the tall are at an indisputable advantage while still doing the moves that are expected for a problem. It sounds more like you're asking for a list of problems which are not noticeably easier for the tall but which are not very bunched, plus any problems which real tinies have legitimate cause for complaint about. Altogether this list is probably >90% of all problems.

It might help to know what problems you feel like you've been hard done to by.

The only one that springs to mind in Yorkshire is Pebble Wall Variation which is given 7B. However it's not really worth travelling from Otley for, let alone London. And it's not really ideal in that it's a knacky problem where the hard bit for those with the necessary span is actually getting set up in the bunched start position (high feet and low undercuts).

Fluide is a funny one. I found it pretty straightforward but lots of good, non-tiny climbers find it worth the grade. I think the limiting factor is more likely to be how good you are at springing.

The Keel is one that tinies really struggle on. With average dimensions and the right beta it's 7B+.

Ged

• junky
#8 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 01:43:19 pm
Sw wise, nether edge and the jungle book in Bovey woods. Both about 7B,and shouldn't leave you feeling to guilty about being tall.  Probably helps but you've still got to climb the buggers.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 01:49:49 pm
What I am honestly looking for in the short term are things that are one step removed from being totally-morpho-lankfests, and in the medium term, as you say, things that are not very bunched.

I seem to have developed a major mental block when it comes to working on bunched up problems. I had a session at the Cuttings boulderfield on Portland (following an aborted DWS day) and after flailing on a load of sit start things that must’ve been put up by a visiting team of gnomes, I got in the car and drove home. That wasted 8 hours of driving is part of the reason I want to aim for more specific things.

Also, a number of the sandstone things I’ve tried recently - A Killing Joke / Supply and Demand / Patience - whilst maybe not harder for tall people do involve v small holds and small movements. Whereas I think I’m more suited to longer moves off better holds, which are the sort of thing I thought might be suggested.

In an ideal world I’d probably just turn up at a well-stocked venue and look for things that fit the bill, but seeing as long-distance outings (which all of those destinations involve) don’t come about very often and involve loads of planning, I’m trying to stack the deck in my favour.

Help the Young is one of the things already near the top of my list (after near success years ago) so that’s helpful, and there’s already plenty here to consider further.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:55:42 pm by Yossarian »

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 02:04:10 pm
IWith average dimensions and the right beta it's 7C (although my righteous opinion won't allow me to admit that).

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#11 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 02:14:09 pm
Deliverance

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 02:25:32 pm
I've always struggled getting established on Deliverance, but that's probably because I'm lanky and shit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 02:27:50 pm
If ever you are passing Torridon and conditions are on, The Mission looks good

More chance on that than Malc's Arete for me.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#14 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 02:37:48 pm
Ah ha! So it's ticks you're after. Well why didn't you say? I can sympathise entirely.

So if you live in London and have any sort of family committment, you're probably not looking for a multi-session project in the Peak. For me, the sweet spot of normally being able to do something in a session, but still having it feel like a good tick is about 7B. It would help to know what that level is for you and whether there is any particular style or angle which you favour.

T_B

• forum hero
#15 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 03:07:26 pm
Not necessarily TMLs (totally morpho lankfests - although I would be delighted with some of those) but definitely problems on which the taller gentleman is not at an immediate disadvantage.

Am I missing something? I'm struggling to think of any problems where being tall puts you at a disadvantage? Or are you confusing being tall with a lack of flexibility?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#16 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 03:35:52 pm
That was badly-worded, and disguising the truth (revealed by Will) that I am basically looking for ticks for tall people.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#17 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 03:48:44 pm
Ah ha! So it's ticks you're after. Well why didn't you say? I can sympathise entirely.

So if you live in London and have any sort of family committment, you're probably not looking for a multi-session project in the Peak. For me, the sweet spot of normally being able to do something in a session, but still having it feel like a good tick is about 7B. It would help to know what that level is for you and whether there is any particular style or angle which you favour.

Yes, ticks. If I don’t get some soon I’m going to eBay my pads and take up competitive barbecuing.

London is a distant 90 minutes north. If there’s a bright centre of the bouldering universe, I’m in the southern seaside resort that it’s farthest from.

7A-7B is exactly what I have in mind, though something harder at a venue (such as Stanage) where I am likely to return within a few weeks / couple of months would make sense too.

sdm

• forum abuser
#18 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 04:02:08 pm
The style at Churnet is very favourable for a taller person who can be a bit dynamic.

There are lots of problems that come down to doing fairly big moves between decent holds. Avoid the most low ball roofs and there's not many problems there where being tall isn't an advantage.

There's loads to go at around 7A-7B too.

T_B

• forum hero
#19 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 04:08:51 pm

7A-7B is exactly what I have in mind, though something harder at a venue (such as Stanage) where I am likely to return within a few weeks / couple of months would make sense too.

OK as someone else has said Brass Monkeys is the ultimate soft touch if you're tall. It's a good problem though.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#20 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 04:28:44 pm
Try Stoney's Minus Ten. I once met a 6ft++ lad there who was on his first visit. He told me he'd never climbed harder than 6A on rock and, inbetween smoking joints and wandering around in the dirt with his climbing shoes (and grey socks) on, was struggling on the easiest problems. Another bloke turned up and began trying Quent's Dyno. My man joined in, did it second try and proceeded to do the other dyno problems first or second go before picking up his pad and heading home, delighted at having improved by more than a number grade in about five minutes. Either I got hustled or those problems are easy for the tall. 

Danny

• junky
#21 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 06:29:16 pm
As a fellow lank, I would say that the majority of moves are slightly harder for lanks, but some are massively easier. I'm currently based in the (very) SW. Here's some suggestions from that part of the world:

AWOL (7C) Tintagel: first move of the stand probs a bit easier for the tall.

Blacking out the Friction (7C) Godrevy: first two moves (pre crux) easier for the tall.

Wonderland (8A) Priest's Cove: tried this a little bit and I think the crux sequence might be quite a stretch for shorties. On that note, Dan, I hear you've done this...did you find it a bit of a stretch? OTOH, the crux crimp it utterly brutal, and is not kind to any tips, least of all those attached to big heavy people (assuming Yoss is a regular lank, rather than a Moose-style lank).

If you happen to be at Priest's, I'd shamelessly plug my new ~7B, Ewe-Boat, which is both excellent and features some *quite large* moves. Maybe this FB link will work:

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.barriosoneill/videos/10161094269760246/

J-Lo (7B+) at and Red Quinine (7C) at Northcott both reward a bit of lank too.

Danny

• junky
#22 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 06:34:01 pm
On Tint, these lank sequences are mind-blowingly lanky:

You could probs take two grades off AWOL by the method used here!

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 06:43:19 pm
Yossarian - I’m 6’3” and have a similar dislike of bunched starts etc... I also climb up to 7B+ on a very good day...

So.... this is problems I like and have done... (apart from topping out WSS)

Burbage
Nose 7A (easier but no path for tall)
West Side Story 7B+
Breakfast 7A
The Arête 7A (higgar not bbg)
Small is Beautiful 7A+
Boyager (7B bit many say 7A+)

Plantation.
Help the Young 7A+
Glass Hour 7A

Curbar
Trackside etc.. (piss at 7A)
Gorilla Warfare/variations
Late Junction 7B
Sean’s Arête 7B+ (felt easier to me)

Frogatt
Downhill racer direct start (7A+/7B I think - cold day needed)

Gardoms
Marks Roof LH 7A

I’ll think of more later if this is the sort of thing you’re after (or are they all a bit obvious..)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#24 Re: A Tall Order
December 11, 2018, 07:04:55 pm
Imhotep, cuvier.  Almost impossible for the short, ok for the tall so i gather

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal