UKBouldering.com

"Spotter Handles" ??? (Read 1719 times)

Paul Saunders

"Spotter Handles" ???
September 28, 2004, 11:28:34 pm
(OK I posted this on UKC too, but I gather some of you guys aren't fans  :o and it's definitely a bouldering question, so I posted it here as well).

These are offered as a feature on some of the Flashed bouldering mats.

Are these?

1) The fat bits at the side of your spotters belly, useful for when you miss the mat and land in them?  :)

or as I suspect

2) Handles so your 4 spotters can lift the mat providing a "firemans blanket" for you to jump into...?

What are they made of? I mean the forces involved when you jump onto the mat would surely just tear the stitching leaving your spotters holding 4 handles.

Obviously your spotters can only hold so much impact and would "give"... which I assume is the point, but if I were to jump onto a rucksac while people held the straps I'd break it prettty sharpish.

Has anyone seen a mat/used a mat like this?
How highball was the problem?
Did it work to save the climbers legs/life?
Does this mean routes of 12m+ can/will now be classed as boulder problems?

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#1 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 28, 2004, 11:50:53 pm
possibly handles so your spotter can pull the matt around so if you climbing a roof its always under you?? who knows

dave

#2 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 28, 2004, 11:55:48 pm
i would imagine they are just summert for the spotter to grab to easily move the mat around, drag it under you on a traverse etc.

Paul Saunders

#3 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 29, 2004, 02:11:03 am
Quote from: "dave"
i would imagine they are just summert for the spotter to grab to easily move the mat around, drag it under you on a traverse etc.

That's a relief. I get scared enough above 6m never mind leaping into a mat held by mates, to absorb the impact.  :oops:  

Mind you in my ignorance have I stumbled upon an innovative new way to protect highballs? The patented "Saunders Mat in a Blanket" TM technique... Surely the physics is logical... or is it?    :?:  :?:  :?:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 29, 2004, 08:42:42 am
On sloping grass landings the spotter sometimes has to stand on or hold the pad to avoid the mat shooting off down the hill on impact, this was the case on quite a few probs at castle hill, handles would have been useful.

dave

#5 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 29, 2004, 09:01:53 am
Quote from: "Paul Saunders"
Mind you in my ignorance have I stumbled upon an innovative new way to protect highballs? The patented "Saunders Mat in a Blanket" TM technique... Surely the physics is logical... or is it?    :?:  :?:  :?:

didn't nick dixon do some route at the roaches (doug?) in this fashion, with people holding out a blanket to fall on?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 29, 2004, 09:22:18 am
1) The fat bits at the side of your spotters belly, useful for when you miss the mat and land in them?

Or possibly the fat bits at the side of the climber's belly, so the spotter can grab them easily and guide them upright onto the mat on the way down.

Perhaps something you should ask FH or sloper about  :twisted:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 "Spotter Handles" ???
September 29, 2004, 01:36:53 pm
Quote from: "Fiend"
Or possibly the fat bits at the side of the climber's belly, so the spotter can grab them easily and guide them upright onto the mat on the way down.

Thats what I was thinking as well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal