UKBouldering.com

Owt for Nowt (Read 106044 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#125 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 16, 2020, 06:31:28 am
Our street WhatsApp group has been great for allowing people to pass on unwanted goods and for people wanting to replace or repair items with minimal waste.
My own "just in case" stash has provided a good deal of amusement and utility for the street.
The group started as a way of supporting people shielding, so I guess it's one of those good things to come out of 2020/ Covid

James Malloch

• forum hero
#126 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 16, 2020, 07:47:47 am
Got a nice wooden fireplace surround & tiles (though I left the hearth) from an ex display one at a local stove store skip this week.

God knows what I'll do with it but the wood will come in handy for some of our DIY projects!

Paul B

• forum hero
#127 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 16, 2020, 09:53:33 am
Our street WhatsApp group has been great for allowing people to pass on unwanted goods and for people wanting to replace or repair items with minimal waste.

We obviously moved during Covid times and I noticed it was a lot easier to sell (for a nominal amount) / pass on furniture etc. as people had less access to alternatives.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#128 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 17, 2020, 02:07:18 pm

My own "just in case" stash has provided a good deal of amusement and utility for the street.

I'll know where to go when I need some then  ;D
Here's a bale I posted earlier:

It's actually this, from my Gumtree page:

The Head Scratcher, near you, is remarkably resourceful too. He was repairing a fine old electric guitar he'd found, when I popped over back in the summer.

Last night's skips were quite amusing.. with a bit of Christmas cheer..

.. including these for you Lagers,  from the same skip, for some merriment! x You'll have to post back here with a photo of you sporting them ;D I'll drop them off later.

Got a nice wooden fireplace surround & tiles (though I left the hearth) from an ex display one at a local stove store skip this week.

God knows what I'll do with it but the wood will come in handy for some of our DIY projects!

James, I picked up this a couple of months ago. I'd originally intended to use it to replace my own fire surround, but in the end, sold it on Gumtree for £50. I think it's a really beautiful piece of wood:

Fultonius is looking at the viability of repairing the Neff induction hob that I spotted the other night. If anyone can help in getting it to Glasgow from Sheffield, that would be really helpful!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#129 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 18, 2020, 10:04:56 am
Those elf pants are ace.

I wore them on my cycle to work.

I'd post a pic if I could work out how to do it from my phone.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#130 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 18, 2020, 10:45:44 am
Thanks DT

Merry Christmas

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#131 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 18, 2020, 12:15:20 pm
Can't be bothered doing the whole thing but shit, is that Bob Mortimer?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#132 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 18, 2020, 03:56:15 pm
That's a thoroughly marvelous outfit, and I'm sure, fully appreciated in the Lagerstarfish household.

Merry Christmas to you all xx  :2thumbsup:  :clap2:

SamT

• forum hero
#133 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 19, 2020, 09:51:27 am
 :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#134 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 19, 2020, 10:05:03 am
Can we have a lagers on a shelf picture every day before Xmas. Please???

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#135 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 19, 2020, 11:06:57 am
I wore the elf hot pants to our street "dancing on driveways" this morning.
Many smiles were seen

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#136 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 19, 2020, 05:10:36 pm
Many smiles were seen

:lol:  :clap2:
They are very "you"  :P x

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#137 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 10:28:38 am
Many smiles were seen

I was out dancing in them again this morning. A camera crew for Look North turned up, so there might be something worth watching tonight.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#138 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 10:56:54 am
Look North at 1.15pm today, apparently.
Fat bloke with shit footwork. Just what everyone wants to see at Christmas

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#139 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 10:58:08 am
 :2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#140 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 11:05:22 am
Look North at 1.15pm today, apparently.
Fat bloke with shit footwork. Just what everyone wants to see at Christmas

You need an agent!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#141 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 01:47:14 pm
 :dance1:

That's embarrassed the kids good and proper

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#142 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 03:55:14 pm

Just watched that  :lol:  :2thumbsup:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#143 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 26, 2020, 08:27:58 pm
from 3 mins in

:dance1:        2m                        :dance1:                 2m             :dance1:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qslb/look-north-yorkshire-evening-news-26122020

My wife trying to hide her identity with full face mask

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:40:34 pm by lagerstarfish »

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#144 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 01, 2021, 12:39:49 am
Extending love and best wishes to everyone costs nothing, and enriches the soul.

All the best for 2021  :2thumbsup: xx

True to form of course, tonight I found a missing part for a coffee machine that's been sat on a shelf at home for the last five years, in a skip.  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#145 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 03, 2021, 06:40:13 pm
Saved an old cast iron pan form the skip. It was mum & dad's, but got too heavy for dad to lift and they started using non stick. After watching Dark Waters I'm inclined to move away from PFTE based non-stick, and go back to good old polymerised veg oil!  (probably also carcinogenic, but "natural" innit).

Remember to take a few "before" photos before I got too far into the restoration:

Hitting it with the flap disc, sander and wire brush:

Seasoned and tested with a fried egg sandwich:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#146 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 03, 2021, 08:04:53 pm
That's beautiful!

Someone had put a couple of really nice non-stick pans out on a wall yesterday, near me.

They looked as though something had just burnt on. Convenience is what sells things, and then results in them getting thrown away afterwards.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#147 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 23, 2021, 10:56:07 pm
OK.

Here’s a good one. I think.

Recently, I damaged my phone. I er.. dropped my hand on it. It was a high gravity day; there’d been a neutron star collision in Nether Edge, Sheffield. Seriously. Anyway, the screen was damaged, and hand cut. Old phone, but pathetic  :lol: :slap:

Screen stopped working the other day, so went looking for a new one. I’ve called 3 to discuss an upgrade.

I was cold called by “Fone City” (Fone city.uk) who tried to sign me up for what seemed like a very good deal. I was worried about the amount of information they wanted to set up the account, direct debit, upfront charge etc. Anyway, I agreed to proceed. Samsung S10+ on a good tariff. 24 months @ 12/month.

I called my bank (Nationwide) because of my suspicions. A payment (£30) had already been taken, but seemed to be assigned to the wrong network. (Voda not 3). They thought the questions weren’t too unusual for purchase/direct debit, but noted concerns anyway.

The next day DPD deliver the phone. The deal’s great; I’m excited. Open the box.. and it’s an iPhone 12 Pro Max and Vodafone sim. Completely wrong delivery, so I call Fonecity, who seem to be in a bit of a panic. I’m told that “dispatch” sent the phone to the wrong customer, and they try to get me to pay to return the phone, “don’t put the sim in” (the one I’m using now ;D ) etc.

I’m called throughout the day by various characters, the dispatch manager, accounts, sales etc, who all appear to be the same person. They want me to return the phone as a matter of urgency, offering various incentives, delivery of the correct items the next day (Saturday) together with additional gift, reduced tariff etc, so I explain that I’d pay to return the phone once the refundable upfront charge is paid, and depending on what I receive the next day. I suggest they send me a pre-paid returns label/bag etc with the replacement phone. Of course, they don’t seem to be able to do that.

I call Nationwide again, and say I’ll stop my card if the correct delivery isn’t received. I’m called a few more times by Fonecity, who point out that I’m a very reasonable man etc, and they assure me that they will refund the postage if I get to the post office before 11am Saturday. “Text me the returns address, and we’ll see what I’m delivered tomorrow, and whether you’ve refunded the upfront cost”.

Searching online, all the references I can find regarding the delivery of “unsolicited goods” suggest that incorrect items received from distance (not eye:eye) selling, can legally be treated as a gift; it’s a criminal offence to try to take payment for items delivered in error.

I was going to post up on UKB last night, to find out what other people thought.. you know, chop their heads off, that sort of thing :P However, the delivery time came and went today, plus a few more calls from Fonecity. I get a text from Nationwide, asking that I send an authorisation code to verify a payment of £400 to “smallworldfs” (Small World Fone Services?).

I call the bank, and we stop the Visa card. Apparently there’s been a lot of activity, but all transactions have been blocked - apart from £2.35 to Tesco and 35p ! to Sainsbury’s. All really impressive. The scam had involved “successfully” changing my registered mobile number and email address! Surprisingly, no transaction had slipped through the net.

Amazingly I have another call from Rahul at Fonecity, so I tell him that I don’t think we should be speaking, and that the only other people I’ll be speaking with about this are the police. Rahul hasn’t called back. I’m feeling lonely. Maybe we could have had a laugh about it  ;)

I’m also contacted by 3 - my mobile provider. Someone had been in touch to “agree” an upgrade on my plan, and to arrange for delivery of a new phone to me. I’m assuming that Fonecity would have then pretended the handset was the new one I’d ordered from them! Anyway, it’s sorted out, with no change to plan or tariff. Great.

So, that just leaves me with a new iPhone 12 “Mega Pro”.  :2thumbsup: Whoopy do!

It’s my birthday tomorrow too (53 - so quit your moaning about being a groaning pile of spare parts OMM  :ras: )

Thought that was worth sharing.

UnkArl

• player
#148 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 23, 2021, 11:08:15 pm
Excellent story, and not a bad birthday present!!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#149 Re: Owt for Nowt
January 23, 2021, 11:16:07 pm
Cool story (and phone!)

Happy Birthday Dave! :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal