UKBouldering.com

Owt for Nowt (Read 105227 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#100 Re: Owt for Nowt
March 03, 2019, 08:55:51 pm

The most obvious "Owt for Nowt" which I hardly ever see these days is hitch-hiking. I find that incredibly sad. Somehow, these days I think that having very little/no money is viewed far more negatively than it used to be. Ironically, back when Maggie was in office, there was a sort of kinship in getting by on next to nothing, and with it, a true sense of appreciation of what little you did have, rather than what you didn't.

I hitched around the peak fairly successfully for the first year i lived in Sheffield. Also hitched from Innsbruck to Arco in the last few years, which was very easy. Had bad time hitching from Hull to Manchester which ended up taking about 5 hours. Havent tried any long distance hitching in the UK since then.

I was talking to Stone recently and he said that back in the day the only difficulty with hitching was that so many people were doing it you'd end up queuing for a ride!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:01:03 pm by bigironhorse »

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#101 Re: Owt for Nowt
March 04, 2019, 01:03:58 am
Hi 3Ts  :)

Travelling to other areas could be fun, but nothing too special here.
Quite a few rental properties, and developers don't want to spend the time it takes to sort through things.

I've taken a good selection of handbags and crockery, and other bits and bobs to the local charity shops, when they've been too good to leave.

I managed to rescue some old wedding photos from the skip of an old woman who'd died locally. They looked as though they'd been missed, so left with a neighbour.

Generally, if the owner is around I ask, and the usual (only) response has been "Yes please, take what you want". Skips are expensive, and the main problem is with other people dumping their own rubbish in someone else's skip. If the skip is on private property, I don't go near it, but I have knocked on the door - at a sociable time - if something looks too good to ignore.

The oil painting I picked up the other night was left next to the skip - which is what people do if they think someone else might want what they're throwing out. I picked up 15m of household cable (worth £1/kg or £3.50/kg stripped) that was left on top of a skip nearby - ready to be picked up. There was a printer left out in another skip, along with software, device passwords etc.

One thing I don't do is rummage through everything, as some people clearly do. I try to leave things pretty much as I find them - maybe with a bit more space in the skip. Came back with a nice deckchair and some plant pots last night.

On hitching, things have sadly changed a lot in my opinion BIN (that's N for Nag  ;D).

I certainly had my fair share of epics. I remember hitching to Symonds Yat with Bubba many years ago, in the P'ing rain. Picked up and squeezed into the back of a Reliant Robin. Good day cragging though!

This photo is from my first trip to the Peak District with school, from Devon.

The diff had seized on the Transit, and the older "kids" agreed to hitch on ahead - from Taunton to Chapel-en-le-Frith. Can't imagine that happening these days!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#102 Re: Owt for Nowt
March 04, 2019, 09:18:59 am
Looks like a Bedford CF250? I converted one of those from school bus to camper and drove round for 4 months, some of the time in 3 cylinders, until i could get sparkplugs couriered from the UK.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#103 Re: Owt for Nowt
March 04, 2019, 12:27:20 pm
You are in fact quite correct Chris!

Also looks more like a Dodge Charger or something top right. Some sort of old Vauxhall?

That was early summer '84!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#104 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 14, 2019, 01:08:05 pm
Here’s one for you Dave.

I improvised a clip stick, years ago, from a discarded golf ball retriever thingy; that I found stuck in a fence/brambles (while walking the dogs/kids) on the Babbacombe stretch of the coast path.

The clip was just a modified, sprung, clothes hanger (Dorothy Perkins, I believe). It was always dodgy, but it worked.

Anyway, slammed the plastic clip in the car door last summer, broke it and decided to buy a real one for this season.

Fucking £50!! Minimum!

So, out with the drill and files it was. An off cut of 18mm ply, the spring steel wire from a large Bulldog clip, an 8mm bolt and a broken tent pole.

Now I have a 4mtr clip stick, hand carved. Two parts (that screw together) but I’ve been clipping every type of bolt I have around the bunker and using a variety of crabs draws and slings, it works.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#105 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 14, 2019, 11:23:18 pm
Hey, Matt.

That looks like a stroke of genius with the adjustable footing for the clip :clap2:

I can see that getting copied though. Maybe get it patented to generate a return. It's all about the gearing ;D

Yes, £50 seems ridiculous!

Simon Young crafted a beautiful clipstick out of various bits of old 'biners, other alloy offcuts, and some sort of liquid metal resin.
I love the simplicity of yours, and looks like it could be trimmed down a bit.

I offloaded a load of scrap the other day, all from local skips. £167.

What else recently? 11 demijohns @ £2 each, another Dyson for £25, and a discarded cash box - with £14 in old £ coins :shrug:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#106 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 09:11:32 am
Not sure about the long-term rigidity of that pork chop Matt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#107 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 10:17:38 am
You tested it with various gate types too? Rigid, bent, straight..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#108 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 11:50:13 am
Yep.
Even a couple different screwgates. Hence all the different notches.
I have quite an assortment lying around, perks of running a climbing wall.
I reckon it’s versatile enough for my needs and I can easily modify it with a penknife if required.

It took slightly less than an hour to make, with a Jigsaw, hand drill, some warding files and some dremel bits (in the drill) for shaping. Couple of mls of varnish and Bob is yer mother’s brother.

SamT

• forum hero
#109 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 01:43:28 pm
 :thumbsup:

Though you forgot to shape a 'hook' into it for pulling down those out of reach loops of rope.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#110 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 03:23:40 pm
:thumbsup:

Though you forgot to shape a 'hook' into it for pulling down those out of reach loops of rope.

Actually....

The bottom notch.

When you slip the spring down there, it protrudes out the bottom of the “thumb” to make the hook.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#111 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 15, 2019, 09:03:57 pm

Also looks more like a Dodge Charger or something top right. Some sort of old Vauxhall?

Ford Capri ?

SamT

• forum hero
#112 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 09:06:19 am

The bottom notch.

When you slip the spring down there, it protrudes out the bottom of the “thumb” to make the hook.

Fair play captain..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#113 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 09:14:01 am

Ford Capri ?

or Opel Manta (given the colour)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#114 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 02:18:18 pm
None of the above, but those old Opels are very very cool!

:2thumbsup:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#115 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 04:13:32 pm
Shouldn’t that have a Confederate Battle flag on the roof and a 10 on the doors?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#116 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 04:40:09 pm
I think you'll find it's 01, not 10 (geek alert).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#117 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 09:23:17 pm
I think you'll find it's 01, not 10 (geek alert).

I think you mean...

Old Age alert.

(Me too).

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#118 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 16, 2019, 11:05:18 pm

Ford Capri ?

or Opel Manta (given the colour)

Having spent too long thinking about this, I'm inclined to go with lagers thoughts on this one. The slightly less sporty model A Mantas look pretty close.

Yes, the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard was a Dodge Charger - with very similar lines, though smaller.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#119 Re: Owt for Nowt
May 19, 2019, 05:27:55 pm
Went "shopping" for a new toaster last night - finally decided I need to repair the Dualit.

Most skips seem to have a good selection of ubiquitous kitchen appliances, and this one was essentially brand new.

Pays to be discerning  ;D

Taken the stickers off now.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#120 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 30, 2020, 03:04:05 am
Possibly of interest to TomTom

There were a couple of kids bikes in this skip, plus a balance bike.
Sad how much good stuff gets binned.. I've been meaning to give an update to this thread for a while.

Sheffield skips .. init  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#121 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 30, 2020, 08:42:51 am
Wonder if there's any margin in getting shoes resoled and selling them on ebay?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#122 Re: Owt for Nowt
November 30, 2020, 02:04:33 pm
Wonder if there's any margin in getting shoes resoled and selling them on ebay?

Or passed on to other user groups? Would be interesting to know how much the cost would be per shoe pair, in batches of 100, but I'm sure that budget shoes are available at very low cost anyway. I tend to pass these on to friends who haven't climbed before/kids I meet at the local boulder.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#123 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 10, 2020, 04:03:21 pm
Thought I'd revisit this thread, for lots of reasons.

Firstly, the name of it could be misleading.

Primarily, I was trying to draw attention to what we already have, and why we often don't see it. I wanted to ask that question; why?

The spirit was less, getting something for nothing, than not needing "more".

It's funny, there's a guy who drives around locally in a bright yellow Hummer. It's important to him.
I was out on one of my "skip runs", and I noticed a hub cap in the gutter. It was from his Hummer.

I remember that, surviving on very little, climbing "back in the day", it was remarkable what you'd notice, what you'd take delight in. Climbing seemed to be about being able to see what you already had. Is it too much to say, that in becoming more mainstream, it's also become more about satisfying a hunger? Many things are sold - and consumed - that way. If you have a void, you want material to fill it.

Annoyingly, I'd seen the Hummer parked up on one of the local roads earlier that day. (Not difficult to notice at all.) I was training in the local park the following evening, and managed to flag the guy down. I told him where his hub cap was. Apparently they cost about £70! Expensive car, but it was fantastic to bring the two parts together.

There's something in that, and it definitely seems to be one of those things that eludes you, the more you try to grasp it. Do we train ourselves to be less connected; do we buy into a "winning" mentality? - to distance ourselves from losing (someone else's problem).

Do we look for an answer to things, because we don't want to feel other things, that there may not be an answer to? A new kitchen will make everything alright.

Society needs to be more about including what's painful. What a fucking conceited thing to say. Externalities occur in an economy when producing or consuming things impacts third parties not directly related to the production or consumption of that good.

I'm writing this on a smart phone. Am I aware of the full impact, the mining, the crap that goes into making it?

For me, climate change is a social phenomenon, and the "answer" to consumption may lead in the direction of something that doesn't feel like a solution, in the way that we are trained to experience it.

FWIW, I carried back a new gazebo the other night, a Spitfire, a Henry vacuum (in parts from two different skips. It's fab  :thumbsup:) I've got to make the Spitfire of course, and I discovered that Coconut Milk does go "off" in a can, when it's four years old.

I hope this doesn't all sound too pompous.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#124 Re: Owt for Nowt
December 15, 2020, 10:03:20 pm
Not at all.

I was used to surviving on very little, and still rarely spend money on goods unless I really need to, even though I can probably afford to. My only 2 vices are probably climbing shoes and camera lenses (and whisky but that's a minimal outlay). I see photos of me with the kids as babies and realise I still wear the same clothes. I hate going to the municipal tip with garden waste etc, as it breaks my heart to see the stuff people throw away. I'm still a hoarder by nature and recycle eveything I can't re-use an hang on to so many things "just in case".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal