UKBouldering.com

Building a campus Board (Read 9282 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 06:29:06 am
YO.  

Can someone help me with some campus board shit.  I need to build a campus board for a friend over here.  I just want basic measurements, angles, etc.  If anyone has a pic with all the dimensions that would be brilliant, or reference to a website with some info. I need a list of supplies, dimensions, etc.  I've never built one before, but how hard can it be?  :8) Thanks

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 10:19:45 am
it's not hard even for an ex-pat. depending what you're building it on, if a brick wall i would go with 4 long bits of 3"x2". 2 drilled into the brickwork, make your board up, the norm is 20 cm betwixt rungs, buoux uses 22 cos he's so strong n a medalwinner :lol: . use 18mm plywood, attach the 2 other bits of 3x2 to this. then the magic is cut 2 more bits of ply at 15 degrees to join board to wall. basically get half piece of ply n mark 15 degs from top n cut down this, screw into both 3x2 bits. then stand inside shell n cut 2 more bits of 3x2 n nail these as crossmembers, the board is now going knowhere, n i don't mean an underrated therapy song. if you're building it onto wood that's already there then shame on you for asking.

addendum. i would not use a board built by this man :D

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#2 Re: Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 10:37:10 am
Quote from: "unclesomebody"
YO.  

Can someone help me with some campus board shit.  I need to build a campus board for a friend over here.  I just want basic measurements, angles, etc.  If anyone has a pic with all the dimensions that would be brilliant, or reference to a website with some info. I need a list of supplies, dimensions, etc.  I've never built one before, but how hard can it be?  :8) Thanks

I built one a few months ago - check your PM's later for full directions..

dom

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#3 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 02:13:53 pm
Denses advice for once sounds ok.

Basicaly what he says, get to long pieces of 3x2 rough sawn, bolt them into the wall, i used 3 bolts(rawplugs) in each piece, then build a frame which will coach bolt through the two pieces of 3x2 in the wall. Make sure your frame is designed so that the actual campus bit is at least 2 feet from the wall so that you have some space to swing your legs abit. Also make sure the board is overhanging abit so that you dont scrape yourself up it. Better go a bit more overhanging than you think, i oringally built mine at 15 degrees, but after a while found it wasnt quite steep enough. I now have a 30 degree monster that is pretty fucking hard to campus on.

The rungs i think should be spaced 22cm, mine are just over 23cm. Just so i could fill the board up bascially.

Dont bother buying campus rungs, they are very expensive and cannot be changed as you progrees, instead get a load of strips of wood and a rough rasp, two hours sanding and you have some very very good rungs which cost less than a tenner.

Hpe all goes well,

dave

#4 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 02:24:22 pm
is the standard for rung thickness still large 1 1/4", meduim 1" and small 3/4"?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 02:33:48 pm
Denses advice for once sounds ok

:lol:

basically the steeper you have the board the further the rungs will be for the same distance travelled :?

dave

#6 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 02:40:01 pm
i was lead to belive it was 20cm cos that equates to 8inch.

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 02:50:12 pm
basically the steeper you have the board the further the rungs will be for the same distance travelled :?

En Anglais?

Certain steeper boards are easier. Compare the Foundry board to the School's incut (middle) one. Same rungs, but the Foundry is a few degrees further over. So you don't have to gain as much vertical height between rungs = easier. Mind you when you get to 30 degrees like Micky Medallion this probably ain't true!

dave

#8 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 03:00:02 pm
i thought the whole idea of the fingerboard being overhanging is so its just enough so that you're not dragging your lower body up the rungs. so maybe steep boards are necessary for fatboys.

i hear nige though - trying to footless up a vertical wall is gonna be harder than a 45.

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#9 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 03:15:44 pm
Your kinda right regarding the campus board angle, one just  off vertical with good rungs would  be slightly more difficult than a board which overhung more also with good rungs.
However on very small flat rungs it is alot easier to campus on a board overhanging 15 degrees than 30. For example i have done 1-5-8.5 in the school, 1-5-9 in the foundry and 1-5-9 on my old campus board. Out of them three i found the foundry the easiest board to campus on, it was a little to steep and the rungs where very positive, so the steep angle with good rungs was more of a help than a hinderence. the school is also farily easy to campus on, its less steep than the foundry but less positive rungs to, my old campus board was less steep than  the latter two, but had much worse rungs, no incut and very round, 1-5-9 on this board was very very  hard, cus the vertical ish angle i had to lock a very long way and couldnt pull out from the rungs as they had no incut.

Now my campus board is very steep and with the same poor rungs, i can only manage 1-4-7 at an absloute maximun on this, im not travelling so far in distance but the rungs are very bad and require alot more forearm/body tension to hold the rungs, so this will now work my fingers/forearms alot more than say the school or foundry.

So basically what im trying to say is for maxmiun distance work and lock off work (Arms), its best to has only a very slightly overhanging board, just enough so you dont drag yourself up it, with medium size rungs.

For more finger tension a steep board with poorer holds where you travel smaller distances.

Basically a vertical wall you hang the holds and pull with your arms

a steep wall with poorer holds you hold the holds all the way through the movement.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#10 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 03:19:28 pm

they're in the post buoux... :wink:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 03:24:31 pm
:?  Those appear to be some sort of alpine cookery medals. Are you suggesting Buoux is some sort of fondue master? :?

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#12 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 03:24:59 pm
Thanks mate i can try and do 1-5-9 with all these medals in me pocket, talk about font 9a.

Jokes wearing a little thin now mate, i dunnno when i was a young one i used to think of me own jokes not milk other peoples (youth of today pah)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 04:23:54 pm
talk about font 9a

only if it involves a figure of eight :shock:  

nige u said exactly the same as me except mine was more direct, n prob not understandable.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#14 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 08:01:55 pm
thanks for all the replies. It's going to be bolted to the external wall of the house.  I'll let you know how it goes.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Building a campus Board
September 27, 2004, 09:35:08 pm
no don't bother tellin us, keep us in suspense

neil@canaryclimbs

• menacing presence
    • http://www.customholds.com
#16 Building a campus Board
September 28, 2004, 12:24:40 am
Quote from: "unclesomebody"
thanks for all the replies. It's going to be bolted to the external wall of the house.  I'll let you know how it goes.

yo onki, you ever going to do any climbing, you will be back soon.

by the way little man is now properly running around, he said hes going to kick your arse when you get back.

If you get round to building that campus board and it turns out ok, when you get back you can come and build mine for me. Our new house has a huge garage 20 feet X 12 feet and 2 the hight of the house.

Is little onki onk meeting up with you out there. I will be up the peak soon just wanted to know if anyone will be around

laters

PS: get some climbing done :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal