UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 284227 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1150 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 11:01:02 pm
If we (hopefully) remain, most of those who voted leave will probably be dead in a generation. Or stay in Benidorm.

winhill

• regular
#1151 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 11:10:52 pm
On a more serious note:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The guy on (our) left of Corbyn is Afzal Khan. He's a supersized shit elected to Gorton last time. Links with the Death for Blasphemy far right Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan party. No experience and an Islamist Mawdudist so what happens under Corbyn? He's in the Shadow Cabinet, of course!

Anyone voting Labour to put him into actual government has some serious explaining to do.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1152 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 10:13:34 am
Its not often I recommend going on the conservative home website... but this is an interesting read. Honest.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/09/the-end-of-the-conservative-party-as-we-have-known-it.html

tc

• junky
#1153 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 02:38:17 pm
On a more serious note:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The guy on (our) left of Corbyn is Afzal Khan. He's a supersized shit elected to Gorton last time. Links with the Death for Blasphemy far right Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan party. No experience and an Islamist Mawdudist so what happens under Corbyn? He's in the Shadow Cabinet, of course!

Anyone voting Labour to put him into actual government has some serious explaining to do.

He was formerly Lord Mayor of Manchester for 2005–2006, and a Member of the European Parliament representing North West England from 2014–2017.

I haven't fact-checked your "Links with the Death for Blasphemy far right Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan party" claim yet but if the "no experience" comment is anything to go by I am a little dubious about it. What do you mean when you say "links"?

SamT

• forum hero
#1154 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 02:47:41 pm
+1 - I thought it sounded a bit Daily Mail to me so I did a little back googling

Couldn't really find anything to suggest he's a "super sized shit" nor "links" with any terrorist organisations.

Only thing I could dig up was the fact that he met with some members of said organisation at a 'Peace Conference'

https://www.facebook.com/JIPakistan.UK/posts/mep-afzal-khan-meeting-with-siraj-ul-haq-in-oldham-manchester-jiukpeaceconf-ehte/990426447646267/

Neville Camberlain met with Hitler non?

SamT

• forum hero
#1155 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 02:49:07 pm
+1 - I thought it sounded a bit Daily Mail to me so I did a little back googling

Couldn't really find anything to suggest he's a "super sized shit" nor "links" with any terrorist organisations.

Only thing I could dig up was the fact that he met with some members of said organisation at a 'Peace Conference'

https://www.facebook.com/JIPakistan.UK/posts/mep-afzal-khan-meeting-with-siraj-ul-haq-in-oldham-manchester-jiukpeaceconf-ehte/990426447646267/

Neville Camberlain met with Hitler non?

Though happy to be corrected if someone can furnish me with some evidence to back up such strong claims.

winhill

• regular
#1156 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 06:17:05 pm
Though happy to be corrected if someone can furnish me with some evidence to back up such strong claims.

If you haven't read the literature why would expect to see the evidence?  :shrug: Try someone like Innes Bowen for a potted history of JI in the UK

Khan was 'Head' of the Manchester UKIM mosque, UKIM became the UK centre for JI, which Mawdudi founded, UKIM having been set up to publish his works and propagate his ideas.

2011 Salman Taseer was murdered by his body guard for suggesting changes to Paks blasphemy law. His killer was Mumtaz Qadri, who had a son. Siraj Ul Haq, the JI leader you've googled, offered to pay the educational expenses of Qadri's 4 year old son, “To pay tribute to Qadri’s sacrifices, I announced that the JI will bear the entire educational expenses of Qadri’s son,”

Afzal Khan has joined Siraj Ul Haq at a number of UKIM and JI events in the UK, that 'Peace Conference' you mentioned is just a JI jamboree.

tc

• junky
#1157 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 06:40:25 pm
Here's a tenuous link for you:
I've read "Mein Kampf" in the original German. I once owned a full-length brown leather coat. I visited Dachau concentration camp when I was working in Munich for a few days in the 1980s. My son was once invited to a Psytrance night in a nightclub in Hamburg that is inside a former Nazi bunker. I have been seen with my son on numerous occasions.
I guess I must be a Nazi.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1158 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 07:11:18 pm
I've read "Mein Kampf" in the original German. I once owned a full-length brown leather coat. I visited Dachau concentration camp when I was working in Munich for a few days in the 1980s. My son was once invited to a Psytrance night in a nightclub in Hamburg that is inside a former Nazi bunker. I have been seen with my son on numerous occasions.
I guess I must be a Nazi.

I was going to write:

“ I spent three years sleeping in the bunk above Allan Grimson, drank with him in the PO’s mess of HMS Westminster everyday, had three meals a day with him at my table and spent many hours chatting and laughing with him. Therefore, I must be a serial killer.”

But someone came in before I could type and you beat me to it.

(Gen dit, no shit. He was known as Frank to us. Never liked him, I thought he was odd. Absolutely blindsided when he was arrested).

winhill

• regular
#1159 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 08:53:32 pm
That's not even slightly close as a comparison, is it?

tc

• junky
#1160 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 08:56:10 pm
Not geographically, no.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1161 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 09:18:57 pm
That's not even slightly close as a comparison, is it?

The weather is nice in Nice, too.

I believe the intent is to ironically relate equally tenuous and irrelevant comparisons, as a way of demonstrating a degree of skepticism in your original assertions.

I might be wrong, even about my own intentions, who knows?

Incidentally, I only actually found out today, that Nice biscuits are, in fact, pronounced after Nice, not nice. Which is nice.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1162 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 09:57:05 pm
And there goes the GE.

Coalition Gov, anyone?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1163 Re: EU Referendum
September 04, 2019, 10:31:38 pm
As a side note...

I just read a piece about businesses needing Customs agents to complete export/import paperwork; as the complexities are manifest (gedd’it?) and there aren’t anywhere near enough, because we haven’t needed them for so long and....

tomtom

• forum hero
#1164 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 07:54:26 am
I’m sure with the ‘let them all through’ border hgv policy in the first few weeks of Brexit there are some excellent opportunities for fraud and smuggling...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1165 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 08:48:41 am
I'm running low on popcorn..

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1166 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 10:14:36 am
Just to check, this bumbling Trump-lite choad wants an election because he thinks he'll get a big enough majority to force no-deal through?? Or is there another reason??

tomtom

• forum hero
#1167 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 10:32:33 am
Just to check, this bumbling Trump-lite choad wants an election because he thinks he'll get a big enough majority to force no-deal through?? Or is there another reason??

I think your first idea is probably right. Or that’s the aim of his masters. I suspect Bj just wants power.. and it’s trappings, you know all the cool stuff like a boreal sponsorship 😃

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1168 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 10:59:57 am

Pretty much, after all it work for Teresa...

I think it's also the only thing left in his playbook, and he has no other idea.

Personally I am fucking delighted he is on the hook, and clearly squirming, seeing as he is one of the main instigators who got us into this sorry mess.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1169 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:01:33 am
Yes. Opposition have to be careful here. Temptation to leave him squirming on the hook for a few weeks to make him look bad. But could backfire and make them look like they’re playing politics under a looming brexit deadline etc... which they would be.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1170 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:05:57 am
And if there was a GE and J.Corbot got in...??

tomtom

• forum hero
#1171 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:13:55 am
And if there was a GE and J.Corbot got in...??

Referendum on some sort of deal or remain I think.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1172 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:25:30 am
I'm not sure if Johnson is particularly wedded to the idea of a No Deal Brexit per se (though Cummings will be), but he has pinned his fortunes (for now) on Brexit, and Brexit will only happen if he has a majority in the commons. I'd suggest that the first objective is to get that and what follows after will depend on the size of the majority he may or may not have.

Johnson effectively brought down his own government when he purged the MPs who wouldn't toe the line. He could have kept them in and clung to a just about manageable minority government, but what then? Miss the 31st October promise and then struggle on to the next election/motion of no confidence and then lose seats to the Brexit Party in the following election? It's not much of a prospect.

By losing his majority by such a significant margin he makes an election a certainty, and it looks now like it will happen some time after the extension of Article 50. In effect he has seized the initiative by making the opposition parties fight the battle that he wants to fight (a GE campaign) on the battleground of his choosing. He'll go into that election with a set of candidates who will do as they're told and who are more orientated towards a hard Brexit position, thus hopefully heading off the threat of the Brexit Party. Obviously this will alienate some Conservative voters and push them towards the Lib Dems or one of the other parties. He and Cummings will have sat down and worked out whether the shift to a harder Brexit position is likely to gain them more seats than it'll cost. It's a gamble.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1173 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:34:11 am
From what I can see / hear I think Tories are dead in the water in Scotland and will be lucky to keep a seat.

Durbs

• forum hero
#1174 Re: EU Referendum
September 05, 2019, 11:39:30 am
If/when there is a GE, it would be devastating to the Tories (and Brexit generally) if Labour/Lib Dems/Green/PC/Change stood on a joint platform,possibly on a People's Vote platform - to the extent of...can't remember the name... when they only put a single candidate forward in each district.

But Labour are the spanner in this, as they - or at least JC - are pretty ambiguous as to their entire Brexit approach.

I honestly (as a remainer...) think a 2nd referendum needs to occur, just to indicate to ALL parties what the mood of the nation is. Both Labour and Tories are split as Brexit doesn't follow party lines, but if a second referendum showed a huge swing to remain - Boris' mandate disappears.
Equally, if it was still leave - at least Government would know decisively which way to align.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal