UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 284246 times)

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1125 Re: EU Referendum
September 02, 2019, 11:12:10 pm
I wouldn't say I was outraged, I just don't agree with the sentiment of kicking a dead octogenarian.

I'm just not sure that what you're saying makes any sense. You're cross that executive power is being abused, but you'll stay home because the other people who are cross aren't throwing molotovs at the police/neighbouring buildings?

I'm not sure what you don't get, I'll stay at home because it will do no less good than joining a march but I'll get to finish painting the attic.

The reason for the lack of visible rage might be because the perpetrators are all in Westminster and we were at regional protests. People seemed quite cross outside Downing Street tonight.

This lot? https://news.sky.com/video/protesters-in-central-london-were-chanting-stop-brexit-as-pm-was-making-a-speech-11800928

I'm surprised they haven't sent in the army to break them up

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1126 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 09:30:13 am
Justine Greening’s gone.

Piquant little resignation note too.

Even Tory MPs think Johnson’s government are extremists.

tc

• junky
#1127 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 10:12:33 am

You're cross that executive power is being abused, but you'll stay home because the other people who are cross aren't throwing molotovs at the police/neighbouring buildings?

Yep. That sums up my attitude perfectly. Wake me up when the revolution begins.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1128 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 11:42:40 am
From the “Tuckered” account.

“I might be completely wrong but I predict a Conservative defeat today and an immediate call for a snap election.

Be under no illusion, this outcome is as manufactured as a wine box bus and not by Johnson either. Dominic Cummings is grinding this organ.

Ever since he was elected to govern by 7 pensioners Dorset, Boris has been stealth campaigning alongside his crash-out promises.

Think about it, how many times have you heard '20,000 new police officers', 'investment in the NHS' and 'levelling up education funding'? He's hawking a manifesto.

It's a massive gamble but sadly I can see it paying off; lose the vote, purge the party of those pesky remainers, then ride to election victory on a wave of Patriotism with a renewed majority.

Don't be fooled by the chants from protesters drowning out his speeches, and don't forget that, whether you like it or not, he's got charisma and is a fine orator. That's the secret weapon.

Brexit is dominating the headlines again and the public are exhausted with it all. Cries of 'get on with it' from tosser commentators like Piers Morgan are resonating, and MPs like Jeremy Corbyn whispering his warnings will by drowned out by Johnson's (in his mind) Churchillian optimism.

Protesters, opposing MPs, remainers and doomsayers will all be branded traitors and enemies of the people, a rhetoric which will be bolstered by the mainstream media.

So prepare yourselves for the most far-right, newly emboldened government this country has ever seen. These are indeed dark times.

-----------------------------------

Please consider supporting the page.
https://www.paypal.me/MTProductions

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1129 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 12:43:15 pm
Johnson's strategy is clearly brexit, as soon as possible, screw the consequences, election before anything goes badly wrong. Then blame anything bad happening on the EU, or remainders, or immigrants.

I think he'll probably be successful; and that he'll have made life slightly worse for almost everyone in the country. A few will really suffer. Still fewer will get a lot richer as they'll have shorted the pound.

I really hope I'm totally wrong. On a different point, isn't the queen a nonagenarian rather than an octogenarian?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1130 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 01:58:11 pm
With the opposition split, as it is, there seems little hope.

Even when the Billions for schools, the 20k new policemen and new, money tree, funds for the NHS, fail to arrive; their supporters will continue support. We are all so deep into the mire now, admitting a mistake is worse than any negative consequence of our arrogance.

There is no such thing as a respectable, honest, humane, member of the current administration. None of these people would have been considered credible candidates for leadership as little as five years ago. Fringe lunatics, all of them, then.

Incidentally, that includes the Shadow Prime Minister (even if the timeline is different). I think he’s an undercover Tory wrecker, planted into Labour to bring them down from within.
(That is a joke, to be clear).

Our Prime Minister, on the record, is a confirmed Misogynist, Racist, Homophobe and Elitist. A man who was widely mocked, globally,  for his inability to cope as Foreign Secretary, who’s stupidity put a young mother deep into an Iranian jail. A man who blew millions on a fantasy bridge.
Yet, according to many (if not most) I’m just paranoid and unnecessarily gloomy and all his latest promises are absolutely guaranteed.

Uni-Fucking-Corns!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1131 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 02:04:25 pm
Started typing a reply but deleted it. Yeah, tired of it all. I fear an election might be a disaster. Politicians have never been less accountable and the manipulation through social media has not been addressed; worse, the manipulators are now in power.

That said, I think Boris has a lot less support than he thinks and No Deal likewise. I thought a no confidence vote followed by a caretaker government and a second referendum might have had a hope, but a lot of people just want an end to it either way. I can't see them voting for a left coalition proposing another referendum.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1132 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 02:21:13 pm
I'm getting an appreciation for the curse "may you live in interesting times". At least i'm not in the US I guess.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1133 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 02:25:25 pm

Our Prime Minister, on the record, is a confirmed Misogynist, Racist, Homophobe and Elitist. A man who was widely mocked, globally,  for his inability to cope as Foreign Secretary, who’s stupidity put a young mother deep into an Iranian jail. A man who blew millions on a fantasy bridge.
Yet, according to many (if not most) I’m just paranoid and unnecessarily gloomy and all his latest promises are absolutely guaranteed.

Sounds uncannily like the madman across the water.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1134 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 03:09:09 pm
Reading the rolling news blogs it looks like Boris might not get enough support for his election plans....

Real house of cards stuff. That would screw him up a bit - with 20 odd Tories no longer backing him...

I suspect Cummings has gamed it all out... (I find it very amusing hes not even a member of the Tory party!)

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#1135 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 04:21:25 pm
No majority now.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1136 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 04:38:34 pm
No majority now.

Yup - he walked across and joined the lib dems benches during Johnsons speech!!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1137 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 04:47:42 pm
Just read his letter.
Seconds after getting back from crossing the road to hand my MP a letter of protest...

Anyway, couldn’t have worded it better.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#1138 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 04:48:09 pm
Are we forgetting Kate Hoey et al.?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1139 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 05:09:16 pm
Are we forgetting Kate Hoey et al.?

Given the VONC by her own constituency (+78% remain at ref) and that the chance of her joining the Tories seems extremely unlikely (Brexit party, perhaps) not sure how she’s expected to affect the parliamentary majority?
If another follows the good Doctor across the aisle?

I think the latter more probable, though it’s anyone’s guess these (this) day(s).

Our country looks a complete basket case, either way.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1140 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 05:17:53 pm
Anyway, this is far more important:

galpinos

• forum hero
#1141 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 05:33:40 pm

Boris looked pretty out of his depth in the chamber.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1142 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 05:50:05 pm
Tonights vote will be interesting and I'll stay up for it...

Whilst some may call it chaos - I think some re-balancing amongst the different parties will be one of the best things to come from this whole horrid brexit affair...

Presently:

Conservative                   309
Labour                           247
Scottish National Party   35
Independent                   15
Liberal Democrat           16
Democratic Unionist    10
Sinn Féin                            7
The Independent Group   5
Plaid Cymru                    4
Green Party   1
Speaker   1

If the Tories and Labour are both 250-300 or lower, SNP up to 50, LibDems up to 50... then we may start to see some better coalition politics at play. Lib Dems certainly wont be burnt like they were last time...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1143 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 06:17:57 pm
I was reading this (love the way she tries and fails, to come across as impartial):

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-brexit-no-deal-leadership-charisma-ego-a9090086.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1567524890

And suddenly I realised Bojo is the reincarnation of the Boss from Reginald Perrin (original 1970’s version).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1144 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 06:33:24 pm
For the younger viewers...

Worth watching all the way through.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1145 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 06:52:00 pm
On a more serious note:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Although, I would like to add an expression, from my Naval days, used to convey feelings of amazement and a degree of surprise:

Hoofin-Wank-Spangles!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1146 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 10:25:55 pm
Sizeable defeat for the Govt.

What’s very interesting is how poor the new PMs team perform in the House of Commons.

Boris looks rambling and his affable bumbling makes him look like an irritable fool at the dispatch box. And Reesmogg slumbering on the benches.

I wonder if the more the public see of him in the commons the less they’ll think of him.... PMQ’s tomorrow.

21 rebels...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1147 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 10:34:57 pm
Is 52%-48% now a sizeable majority  :whistle:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1148 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 10:53:31 pm
Is 52%-48% now a sizeable majority  :whistle:

No.

Which is why we are in this shit in the first place.

Which is also why we will continue to be in this shit for a great deal of time to come.

Because Parliament and the nation at large are pretty evenly split on the issue and regardless of which side prevails, approximately half the nation is going to be pissed off.
Seriously, deeply, lastingly, pissed off and resentful of the other approximately half of the nation.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1149 Re: EU Referendum
September 03, 2019, 11:00:20 pm
Until enough of the 52% die.

Which given the leave voters demographic might not be that long. Geological time in political scales but in ten years time...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal