UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 283617 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1525 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 09:41:23 am
Well that was nicely worded by Matthew Parris. He is saying what I have always believed: the drive to eliminate EU ‘red tape’ aims to remove legislation protecting workers and the environment.  His Gulliver is the free market nutters’ Britannia Unchained.

I fear Corbyn will go down in history as the enabler of the collapse of workers’ rights and the welfare state.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1526 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 02:58:34 pm
Letwin amendment carried 👏👏

James Malloch

• forum hero
#1527 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 04:54:18 pm
Parliament Square was rather jubilant when the results were announced...

I don't quite get what that means now though - Borris having withdrawn the bill and planning to bring it back on Tuesday - if anyone would care to explain...

tomtom

• forum hero
#1528 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 04:58:13 pm
I think... it means
1. BJ has to ask the EU for an extension by 11pm tonight. This should rule out a loophole that could have allows a no deal exit to sneak through..

2. Which if he does makes him possibly look a bit silly as he’s refused to (political point scoring). If he doesn’t then there’s a court hearing on Monday that will probably find him in contempt - and may rule someone else has to.

3. It means there will be more time before it’s voted through - which may mean more scrutiny of the deal and possibly the result of any vote changing. 

James Malloch

• forum hero
#1529 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 05:16:07 pm
Thanks! Does the Letwin amendment stay attached when the bill is next brought to parliament?

I guess the aim of that was to ask for an extension so then gives the government 3 months to get the law sorted before approving the deal?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1530 Re: EU Referendum
October 19, 2019, 05:25:52 pm
As far as I understand it doesn’t need to stay attached as the deadline for requesting an extension is 11pm tonight. So assuming there’s no loophole for the PM, the next time the bill comes to parliament the extension will have been requested and hopefully granted!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1531 Re: EU Referendum
October 20, 2019, 09:30:25 am
The decision  by Johnson to send a photocopy is frankly fucking childish.  It's like hes wearing his school uniform and leaving the short untucked to rebel. Whatever your view on extension, delay or whatever this is one of the most unstatesmanlike actions I've ever seen from a supposedly senior politician. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1532 Re: EU Referendum
October 20, 2019, 09:48:02 am
Our very own Trump  :sick: :shit: :sick: :shit:

tomtom

• forum hero
#1533 Re: EU Referendum
October 20, 2019, 10:18:03 am
The decision  by Johnson to send a photocopy is frankly fucking childish.  It's like hes wearing his school uniform and leaving the short untucked to rebel. Whatever your view on extension, delay or whatever this is one of the most unstatesmanlike actions I've ever seen from a supposedly senior politician.

Yes. Agree.

But like a 5 year old having a tantrum it’s best ignored. As Europe have done and are moving on the extension request. Nice OP in the guardian explaining how the side note is worthless and even if it’s not signed that doesn’t matter.

What really riles me is the incessant vox pops and pundit viewpoints on the BBC, Sky etx.. saying everyone wants this deal done. Bollox. Total bollox.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1534 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 06:44:17 am
Interesting thread

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185989844281020418?s=21

If this is right the govt screwed up on sat and it’s going to be a rollercoaster week.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1535 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 10:48:10 am
The decision  by Johnson to send a photocopy is frankly fucking childish.

We shouldn't be giving this kind of press briefing air time. What does it even mean? He didn't sign it, it was a photocopy (really?!) etc.

He said he would never send the letter. He sent the letter. End of.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1536 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 10:50:13 am
Interesting thread

If this is right the govt screwed up on sat and it’s going to be a rollercoaster week.

I read that thread this morning but I'd don't know enough about palimentary procedure to get this bit:

"There is a common misconception that the govt pulled the vote on Saturday. They did not. They just didn't  bring the motion as amended to a division. It went through on the nod. The House decided something. I.e. Letwin, that there is no deal until WAB passes. That is big."

What does "amended to a division" and "went through on the nod" mean?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1537 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 10:55:19 am
Interesting thread

I read that thread this morning but I'd don't know enough about palimentary procedure to get this bit:

"There is a common misconception that the govt pulled the vote on Saturday. They did not. They just didn't  bring the motion as amended to a division. It went through on the nod. The House decided something. I.e. Letwin, that there is no deal until WAB passes. That is big."

What does "amended to a division" and "went through on the nod" mean?

And WAB? I think I've missed something somewhere.

remus

• forum hero
#1538 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 11:07:42 am
And WAB? I think I've missed something somewhere.

WAB = Withdrawal Agreement Bill

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1539 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 11:22:50 am
A division is the voting in the Commons, where you walk through one corridor for yes and another one for no. As far as I understand the amendment that passed essentially gutted a lot of the text of what the PM tabled, so once the amendment passed, there was no vote on the bill (it ‘went through on the nod’, as it it was passed without dispute which happens a lot to stop things that are definitely going to pass having to be voted on to save time).

I think the issue is that, in the terms of the commons, this counts as a vote on that deal, and as with May’s deal(s), the speaker made it clear that you can’t just bring exactly the same thing to be voted on again when you didn’t get the result you wanted first time.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1540 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 11:39:30 am
there was no vote on the bill (it ‘went through on the nod’, as it it was passed without dispute which happens a lot to stop things that are definitely going to pass having to be voted on to save time).

I think the issue is that, in the terms of the commons, this counts as a vote on that deal, and as with May’s deal(s), the speaker made it clear that you can’t just bring exactly the same thing to be voted on again when you didn’t get the result you wanted first time.

This is how I read it but that means the bill was passed, so there's not need to bring it back to be voted on again?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1541 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 12:48:28 pm
I agree with Gina

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/20/boris-johnson-ride-roughshed-laws-grant-extension-law

It would be awful if Boris scraped an election win because brexit votes split less than those of the progressive parties. People really need to consider tactical voting on an ABB basis in marginal or 3 way/ 4 way seats. The only exception I'd make to the tactical voting likely to be suggested on her site is to support no tactical voting in very safe seats (ie much bigger than 50% single party majorities) as this allows parties like the greens to grow confidence and better influence policy.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1542 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 12:56:08 pm
This is how I read it but that means the bill was passed, so there's not need to bring it back to be voted on again?

This I’m more hazy on but I think they want a vote on an unamended version to show that there is support in the house for the legislation to pass.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1543 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 03:26:17 pm

This I’m more hazy on but I think they want a vote on an unamended version to show that there is support in the house for the legislation to pass.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1186250561676595200

Having listened to this, I think it means it was defeated "on the nod" as they didn't even put it up for a vote.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#1544 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 04:03:38 pm
From the Beeb
"15:38
BreakingSpeaker refuses Brexit deal vote

House of Commons

Parliament
Commons Speaker John Bercow has refused the government's call to hold a vote on the prime minister's Brexit deal today."

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1545 Re: EU Referendum
October 21, 2019, 07:19:09 pm

This https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/21/brexit-what-just-happened-and-what-happens-next makes it all a bit clearer after today’s events.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

tomtom

• forum hero
#1547 Re: EU Referendum
October 22, 2019, 04:02:43 pm
What a colosssal fuck up this all feels like...

Interesting tweet from an FT journo:
"A wild guess at what happens next: @BorisJohnson wins second reading, MPs who feel guilty about backing the deal then block programme motion; EU grants extension of a few weeks. Johnson accepts (and doesn't pull bill). Brexit happens. No election till 2020. Lab changes leader."

petejh

• forum hero
#1548 Re: EU Referendum
October 22, 2019, 04:18:47 pm
That would be a fairly accurate reflection of the last 3.5 years - Brexit scrapes through; labour not in power because the public sees them as a flip-flopping shower of; Cornyn gone becasue he couldn’t lead a dog.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1549 Re: EU Referendum
October 22, 2019, 05:28:43 pm
My favourite report of the day:

The Irish Mirror is reporting that the Irish taoiseach Leo Varadkar is very keen to get Brexit done by 31 October because he has tickets to see Cher on 1 November.

“He has tickets for the pop legend in Dublin’s 3Arena on November 1 and wants to enjoy it properly,” the paper reports.

“Mr Varadkar is a self-confessed Kylie Minogue fan who sent her a personal letter and got a selfie with the Aussie when she performed here last December.

“But he is also believed to love Cher and has been looking forward to the concert for months.”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal