UKBouldering.com

How to land safely (including without a mat...) ?? (Read 6579 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
This seems to cover training (how to do it), injuries (what happens if you don't do it), and how to hurt yourself (obviously)  :wink:

So. I like to do some micro-routes/highballs/routes without any mats for a different experience. Unfortunately I absolutely suck arse at landing safely without a mat - even from a short height it HURTS. All these people who go about "blah blah oh yeah I jump off the top of Pebble Arete for fun as I can't be arsed to downclimb" are completely alien to me. I'd be lucky to jump off the bottom of Pebble Arete and walk away  :roll: .

I can fall onto mats okay - for example, at the Slipstones recently, I dropped off in control with my feet about 1.5m up onto a reasonable landing, and hurt my ankle a little. Later on I spun off another problem with my feet at 3m onto a mat, only just landed on it with no control, and was fine.

How can I improve my falling?? I know after a certain different it will be somewhat arbitrary but I'd really like a chance to reduce injury just in case I have to bail out...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Try these :wink:

dave

more to the point, whats the point? if you've got a mat there and you're going to fall off then use it. if you want do have a route experience, then do a route. if you wanna be a hero, then be my guest just don't complain its then hurts when you fall. :cry:

or i suppose when you're sat up in hostial with your legs in traction at least you can eat your grapes with an enormous sense of superiority and self-satisfaction.  :roll:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Come on Dave play fair, I'm asking for advice here not a criticism of people's personal choices.

cofe

• forum hero
relax, and don't be afraid to fall over/roll - it will get the weight off your ankles etc and you might only end up wid a bruised side or the like - which the chicks will dig.

webbo

• forum hero
if i was planning to do highballs sans mats.i don't think i'd be considering fallin off. i mean how  many folk plan their landing when settin off up edge lane.you need to practice your down climbing.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
or you could throw yourself onto someone stanting on the groud therefore escaping injury. Unless the person on the ground moved out of the way or battered you :bash:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I think that rolling out is going to work best, but this loses value when the ground around is littered with boulders etc.

Breakfalling might help sometimes - ie, take the fall, and roll/collapse to the floor, but break your fall by slapping an arm out sideways, etc. This is what I was taught in Ju-Jitsu and it works brilliantly......on a mat.....on the few occasions when I missed the mat I came out with stinging hands.

But anyway, I'd say that these boys are the experts so see what they have to say:

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/UrbanFreeFlow/tricksntech.htm

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Actually, this guy is doing a sort of breakfall - landing on your toes/balls of feet and slapping palms down hard at the same time.

I reckon this is the way to go, and if you're landing on a pad it won't kill your hands either.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Yer, I've been recommended the rolling thing, and trying to transfer your fall into a run/tumble if the ground is sloping. Makes sense to me - I've just got to learn how to do it...

Any more of you guys have experience with it??

Webbo, point taken, but I am a genius at downclimbing from the experience of many cowardly retreats - I probably downclimb harder than I upclimb =). But I just want to be prepared...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I think a breakfall like the guy is doing above is going to be better for climbing.
The parkour guys who spend most of their time taking nasty landings onto hard surfaces only recommend rolling if you're carrying a bit of forward momentum.
You could still buckle and try go into a roll I suppose, but you're very likely just to smash your head in on a protruding boulder and if you're not carrying any directional momentum it's going to be difficult to transfer your downward movement into a roll.

I reckon it's best to have your landing zone spotted and sussed and to make the best out of that little patch. Unless I suppose you're lucky enough  to have a nice grassy landing slope with no obstacles then roll away.

Why not try it next time you're out with a pad or two? Ron F famously prepared for Careless Torque by jumping off progressively higher from NBTA.

dave

Quote from: "Bubba"
Ron F famously prepared for Careless Torque by jumping off progressively higher from NBTA.

aye, i bet the ground was 2foot higher then anall!

famously alf bridges used to jump off the top of black slab, but again the ground will have been higher and covered in springy heather.

if you wanna see crazy falling skills, speak to jordan. :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Quote from: "dave"
famously alf bridges used to jump off the top of black slab, but again the ground will have been higher and covered in springy heather.

Springy heather or no, that's still fucking mental - didn't he have a bit of a thing for lobbing himself down other things to?

webbo

• forum hero
in my youth when i occasionally went more than 5 feet off the ground [this was before mats,you understand]i was prepared to jump off as long as it was flat and grassy.but anything that had a doggy landing i did'nt consider jumping off.

did'nt always work.hence the broken ankle's,leg,heel's and elbow.
[

size=7][/size]

webbo

• forum hero
also one other point .i have alot of lower back and neck problems that both physio's and the osteopath reckon are a result of jumping from some height and not breaking anything. :shock:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Why not try it next time you're out with a pad or two?

Yeah I'm going to start practising in advance - probably indoors at first, on their nice soft mats, then gradually building up to outdoors.

Point taken about the use of the breakfall landing in situations where you can't transfer your downwards momentum.

if you wanna see crazy falling skills, speak to jordan.

Yeah no shit, I saw the fall off Above and Beyond - where he cunningly manages to miss 3 mats (which were left in exactly the same place when he got back on ? :huh: ?) and casually tumbled into the ferns and got up giggling....!!!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Is that why she had those large impact protection pads fitted :roll: ?

cofe

• forum hero
Quote from: "Bonjoy"

Is that why she had those large impact protection pads fitted :roll: ?

<:slow hand clap:>

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just been reading a link on another site and it seems that buildering (read urban climbing (dood) )  and Le Parkour are converging...

Not surprising really.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
This topic got me surfing

- watch this vid (or at least the first 2 or 4 minutes) - it's really sweet. You'll be impressed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

Good stuff  :8)  :worthy:  ....last two minutes are well worth skipping to, and the final stunt is totally  :shock:

I bet he could fall off 2m up a boulder problem and get away with it...

So much to learn....probably so much to unlearn too...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal