UKBouldering.com

Good bouldering and sport climbing near Cleveland (Read 3676 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
I am possibly moving back up north (Hartlepool) but I didn't climb when I used to live there so don't know where the best areas are. I know North Yorkshire (brimham rocks, etc) isn't too far south and Northumberland isnt too far north but what are the best options locally?

webbo

• forum hero
Houghton graveyard.for sport. Cleadon hills for bouldering. I used to go Cleadon years ago when visiting friends up that way. I thought it was great but I lived in East Yorkshire then.
There is also that place on the South Shields sea cliffs.
It’s in the old North East England guide or on smartboysonline.co.uk

sjw

• obsessive maniac
The usual suspects in the north of the NY Moors (Wainstones, Scugdale, Roseberry Topping, Ingleby Incline- to name a few) are within 45mins of Hartlepool and are all OK, depending on what you're looking for.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Nice one. Cheers, guys. Any other suggestions for sport climbing?

webbo

• forum hero
As above or do I need to mention a pair of shoes for sale to get you to,read it ;D

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
As above, Scugdale for easy soloing, Wainstones has reportedly decent bouldering. Goldsborough Carr is okay and not too far away. Some of the crags in the new North Yorks guide are good too.

That said, when I lived in County Durham, I nearly always opted for a long drive to Yorkshire grit: Slipstones, Brimham, Caley etc. For sport climbing... buy a van or look into caravans near Malham/ Kilnsey!

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Happy to drive a bit further. I remember going to brimham when I was a kid, so know that's driving distance. Was just wondering if there was anything closer that was worth looking at. The ukclimbing.com database mentions a few crags but no idea what they are like

gme

• forum hero
There is nothing locally worth doing. There used to be some bouldering on the sea walls in the "pool" but it was pretty shit and only used in the days pre walls. Nearest sport will pretty much be Kilnsey which is do able for an evening, i used to drive from Chester le Street regularly on a Wednesday evening and get a good 4 hours climbing in during the summer months. Once you get a good route sussed you would do it in 1.30 i guess.

Houghton Graveyard has sports routes your getting properly esoteric and not in a good way.

All the bouldering spots listed in the area such as Keipier and the cove are not worth going. You have Summerhill outdoor boulders locally which look ok.

Basically you need to travel but you can get to a lot of spots in the North York moors and Goldsbrough within an hour.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
All good info. Cheers.

I have been to summerhill. Its man made boulders and would be OK for a bit but the real stuff is obviously much more appealing!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal