UKBouldering.com

Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned' (Read 2812 times)

sjw

• obsessive maniac
Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 23, 2018, 06:28:09 pm
Noticed this on that ukc today:

"Access Banned
After climbing on Saturday 14.7.18 the landowner approached us saying that we didn’t have permission to climb. He was worried about how dry the ground was and people climbing during this period. I asked him if he would like this updating and he requested so. No permission to climb here currently."

There's nothing on the RAD database about it, anyone got more info (Franco)? The fact that the farmer said that there is 'no permission to climb' makes it sound a bit more permanent than limited to the current high fire risk conditions.

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 23, 2018, 08:54:22 pm
The Duck boulders are on open access land and currently there is no ban due to fire risk on the NYM.
You need to report this to the BMC.

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 23, 2018, 09:13:00 pm
I have just looked this up and it is on restricted open access land which I think means dogs are banned even guide dogs. But you can walk an climb there.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 23, 2018, 09:24:31 pm
I have just looked this up and it is on restricted open access land which I think means dogs are banned even guide dogs. But you can walk an climb there.

Yeah thinking back, it make sense that it's restricted open access as during hunting season they put up signs along the ridge stating the periods it is 'closed'. I'll drop the BMC an email, cheers. 

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 23, 2018, 09:34:01 pm
It will be interesting to see come August 12th if everything is still as dry. How many restrictions are put on folk firing off guns on the Moors or maybe dropping hot cartridges is not a fire risk. :-\

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#5 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 24, 2018, 09:32:09 am
It will be interesting to see come August 12th if everything is still as dry. How many restrictions are put on folk firing off guns on the Moors or maybe dropping hot cartridges is not a fire risk. :-\

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 24, 2018, 10:00:48 am
Sounds to me like this is "we'd prefer people to stay off the tinder-dry moors short term in the interests of pragmatism" rather than "climbing is totally banned here forever".

Would be a shame if it is the latter, as it's a great little venue.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 24, 2018, 10:13:40 am
Open Access Land cannot be simply closed due to landowners wishes. There is a process they must go through with NE and signage must be installed on entry points. You can view current restrictions here: http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch

For fire risk there is an established process. The Met Office forecast the fire risk levels which you can see here:  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/fire-severity-index/#?tab=map&fcTime=1532343600&zoom=7&lon=-2.86&lat=53.36

If the MO forecast fire risk reaches 'exceptional' then open access land is closed -  this doesn't affect footpaths.

Due to the wet winter and spring risk is not as high as might be imagined, and for much of the Pennines, N Wales and Lakes the risk has just been lowered due to recent rainfall. It remains 'high' in North Yorks, though was probably 'very high' a week or two back (it was in the Peak). So currently two levels below that required for closing access land.

So there should be no problem with responsible access - obviously no BBQs, smoking, leaving glass bottles etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Duck Boulders, NY Moors 'banned'
July 24, 2018, 10:55:45 am

Smoking cigars, driving landrovers without spark arrestors fitted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal