UKBouldering.com

Kiosk software (android lockdown) (Read 2401 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Kiosk software (android lockdown)
January 11, 2018, 05:40:06 pm

Howdy y'all.

I'm want to set up a couple old tablets to purely run Spotify alone and nothing else, so the groms can listen to music in the comfort of their own room or via headphones etc

It seems like I want some 'Kiosk' software that basically locks down the tablet and only lets selected apps run from a front page.  Perfect.

The only hitch seems to be that there are seemingly no free or even low cost apps out there. (i'm on android)

Licenses start at about 40 dollar which is a lot more than I want to pay.  I think its because its a mainly commercial application to allow tablets to be dished out to employees e.g. for marketing questionnaires on the high street etc, without them being able to fiddle with them.

I've tried Surelock but that free version wont let you change the password, which it displays on the unlock screen (0000).  Its not going to be long before the kids try unlocking it and it'll be straight onto youtube before you know it. Full version costs £46 quid!!!

Any suggestions? Alternatives?

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Kiosk software (android lockdown)
January 11, 2018, 11:31:41 pm
Androids built in parental controls might be enough for your purposes, though I suspect it may depend on exactly how old your tablets are (and what version of android they're able to run) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1075738?hl=en

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Kiosk software (android lockdown)
January 12, 2018, 07:52:21 am
Androids built in parental controls might be enough for your purposes, though I suspect it may depend on exactly how old your tablets are (and what version of android they're able to run) https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1075738?hl=en
Unfortunately Google Family Link is not available in UK as yet. They haven't said when it is due to roll out. This is an issue with Chromebooks especially as they currently allow 'supervised users' but this feature is being removed before Family Link is launched.  :slap: :shrug:

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Kiosk software (android lockdown)
January 15, 2018, 11:39:47 am
Hmm, cheers for the replies.  I've used 'screentime' in the past and may revisit it with this in mind.

tk421a

• addict
#4 Re: Kiosk software (android lockdown)
January 16, 2018, 10:46:06 pm
Have you taken a look at "Screen pinning"? It allows you to only allow a single app to be run and requires the screen lock key to get out of it.
Have been using it successfully so far to keep tablets on a registration form app.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal