UKBouldering.com

Alcohol free booze... (Read 36507 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#125 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 10:14:21 am
Tried Adnam's Ghost Ship 0.5% recently. Really quite pleasant.

tomtom

• forum hero
#126 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 10:45:48 am
Tried Adnam's Ghost Ship 0.5% recently. Really quite pleasant.

😱 I thought that was total 💩

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#127 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 10:48:45 am
Well I think that Nanny State tastes like brake fluid diluted with goat piss and I'd rather drink the sweat from a sumo wrestler's arse crack, so there.

tomtom

• forum hero
#128 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 11:03:23 am
I'm not a fan of Nanny state either...

I have tasted brake fluid (it doesnt taste like bad alcohol free beer) but not goats piss or sumo sweat...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#129 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 30, 2021, 07:17:36 pm
Well anyway.

Just cracked open a Lucky Saint 0.5% and it is really very nice, light and crisp and not overly bitter at all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#130 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 30, 2021, 09:52:06 pm
Well anyway.

Just cracked open a Lucky Saint 0.5% and it is really very nice, light and crisp and not overly bitter at all.

Indeed its one of the best. I have one open now.

gme

• forum hero
#131 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 30, 2021, 10:19:17 pm
I’ve been drinking a fair few alcohol free beers this winter to stem the craving to drink every single night and have fond a lot of them pleasant but Am I alone in thinking that even the most average can of BBQ larger is a better tipple.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#132 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 31, 2021, 06:41:35 am
Well anyway.

That's been the best of the bunch for me.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#133 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 13, 2021, 08:54:34 pm
Just ordered a 24-pack bundle from Brewdog of AF beers. Partly as they don’t deliver the alcohol versions in Colorado and partly because I’m not light atm.

4X Nanny State
4X Punk AF
4X Elvis AF
4X Hazy AF
4X Wake up Call
4X Ghost Walker

Will report back in due course
Have had all but the stout, all in all disappointed though not sure what I was expecting. Definitely inferior to a normal beer... However the other day (yesterday) after a big day at work, felt the need for a de-stress beer and one of these actually did the job fairly well!

Nanny State - absolutely disgusting
Punk AF - best one of the bunch I reckon
Elvis AF - Tastes like Grapefruit sparkling water, not bad
Hazy AF - Not as good as Punk AF but not bad
Ghost Walker - Grim but not as bad as Nanny State...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#134 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 13, 2021, 09:25:08 pm
Nanny State - absolutely disgusting
:lol: quoted for truth. I found a can of Punk AF cooling in the river below Moat Buttress, nabbed it, pretty pleasant, then failed on my redpoint cos I was full of beer and gas.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#135 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 14, 2021, 07:31:55 am
Not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything, but the AF Bavarian wheat beers are pretty good from what I remember. I think you can order most of them in the UK.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#136 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 08:05:11 pm
Ive been sleeping shit lately so thought id cut evening/cooking beers to start off with. Spurred on by this thread i thought id try Punk AF. Terrible. It tastes like the beer equivalent of schloer. Just doesnt do it... Im tempted by Nanny State just to see what sumos crack tastes like. And Ive just ordered the taster pack of these: https://daysbrewing.com/ . The website all looks a bit shiny, but ill report back on how they taste  :coffee:

Duma

• forum hero
#137 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 09:04:28 pm
In my experience, there's only 2 ways to go with this: lucky saint, or the 0.5% bavarian stuff. Everything else I've tried has been awful.
Otherwise you're much better off with fewer 3-4% "session" beers than the other options imo.

The brewery at the end of my street does a great 2.7% pale, but that's prob not that useful to the non Bristol resident

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#138 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 09:17:17 pm
Yeah the wheat beers are good because the prominent wheaty taste carries them and masks the soulless despair of lack of alcohol...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#139 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 09:20:19 pm

Otherwise you're much better off with fewer 3-4% "session" beers than the other options imo.

The brewery at the end of my street does a great 2.7% pale, but that's prob not that useful to the non Bristol resident

I this has been discussed on here previously, but you definitely open up a relative world of flavour, even if you just go up to 3%, but I guess a lot of people are looking for zero alcohol.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#140 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 09:25:06 pm
you also miss out on all the health benefits if you go too heavy!

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/health-benefits-alcohol-free-beer/

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#141 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 09:49:14 pm
Recently been drinking Ambar 0.0 which is a pils type thing - it's got a weird slightly citrus taste, a bit like a weak wheat beer, to which I've been adding a few of drops of lime juice, which complements it well. The resulting drink, to paraphrase Douglas Adams, is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike beer. But quite nice.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:12:02 pm by Ru »

tomtom

• forum hero
#142 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 15, 2021, 10:25:12 pm
Its mentioned somewhere in this thread - but AFAIK there are two processes for making AF beer (technically <0.5%). First is brew normally then 'extract' the alcohol, second is to brew to a low percentage (0.5%). Apparently the latter (0,5%) gives a much better taste and doesnt taste as artificial or sickly as the 0% ones.

That said, I had a couple of bottles of 0% Moretti with a meal tonight - and that tasted pretty decent.

Infinity Sessions IPA, and Big Drop Stout are still my favourites - but not stocked in my local supermarket any more :(

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#143 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 16, 2021, 07:52:04 am
Think the good thing overall is that generally compared to (say) 5 or even 3 years ago the AF market has drastically expanded, so at least you're not just limited to Becks Blue (think I'd literally just prefer sparkling water) or Nanny State.

Echo the above - the Brewdog Punk AF (I actually don't mind Nanny State either), the Aldi versions, definitely Lucky Saint, the Big Drop stable generally, and recently the Harbour Brewing AF IPA are all very passable / drinkable.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#144 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 16, 2021, 01:58:23 pm
Freedamm is a passable driving AF lager. 6 blue stubby cans for £5 works for me pretty well. I look at it as ticking the same boxes as a refreshing Fosters on a Hot day in a pub beer garden (remember those?) No hops or fancy citrus notes (not dissing, love a Crafty AF too.) Just cheap booze free lager hits... The McDonald's of the AF family.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#145 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 30, 2021, 11:04:23 am
Freedamm is a passable driving AF lager. 6 blue stubby cans for £5 works for me pretty well. I look at it as ticking the same boxes as a refreshing Fosters on a Hot day in a pub beer garden (remember those?) No hops or fancy citrus notes (not dissing, love a Crafty AF too.) Just cheap booze free lager hits... The McDonald's of the AF family.

Agree with this, I've enjoyed this much more than the other AF beers. Unfortunately can't get it from my local Sainsbury's any more for some reason. Also quite like the Birra Moretti AF lager in the same vein of uncomplicated lagerish refreshment.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#146 Re: Alcohol free booze...
April 30, 2021, 05:30:28 pm
Sometimes only a lagery substitute  will do. Sorry to hear about your local stock issues. I can't get the Pistonhead  Flat Tire AF round here for love nor money. Also a  big favourite. Been known to buy it 24 cans at a time when I've found it on forays into out of town Tescos.

Good shout about the Moretti. Will give it a go as it always hit the spot back in my semi-regular drinking days. (The net effect of the current crop of decent AF beer is that I seem to have accidentally given up drinking. No bad thing as a healthier bank balance, a clearer head and better sleep seem to be the side effects.)

Cheers!

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#147 Re: Alcohol free booze...
May 06, 2021, 01:09:59 pm
Ah I forget to report back. The Days beers were really nice. Better than expected. Il do a shit job of describing them but at £9 delivered for a 4 bottle taster pack it's worth a try. Hasn't fixed sleep patterns.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#148 Re: Alcohol free booze...
July 14, 2021, 11:52:15 pm
Never really considered myself an AF beer drinker but in recent times have started enjoying beer maybe a little too much. Decided after Sunday’s match and my session on supercool to not drink in the week.

This evening went to a BBQ and bought the beaver town lazer crush AF IPA. Usually think AF beers a bit shit and feel that I’d rather not even bother if I’m not going to drink. Really really enjoyed a couple of cans of that though. Highly recommended

Nigel

• forum hero
#149 Re: Alcohol free booze...
July 15, 2021, 10:41:22 am
I'll confess that this thread had previously had held absolutely no interest - I like beer. For one reason and another I'm having a couple of months off the grog so have been flirting with alcohol-free. I've only read the latest couple of pages but as a relative novice would echo some of what has been said:

Generally I find zero alcohol is disgusting. Always when compared with actual beer, and quite often on its own terms. I tried one organic one in particular that in my opinion was not fit for human consumption. 0.5% is definitely slightly better but still tastes weird and is variable. Low alcohol (been having small amounts as a "treat") definitely tastes better again. In no instance yet have I come across one that I would prefer to even an average tin of lager. Like I say I like beer. Obviously my taste may change over time but that is the current position!

Also agree with Ru that low alcohol wheat beers tend to be better in general than others for some reason. I say that as someone not usually that psyched on them.

Anyway, I give the above background for any readers who are in a similar position just in case they benefit from my favoured solution to the taste issue - shandy! Basically zero / low alcohol beer does not taste like beer (IMO). Zero / low shandy on the other hand does taste more like a real shandy. Not completely, but the distance is lessened if your see what I mean. Obviously this depends on your opinion of shandy / lemonade tops. Very refreshing in summer. My current go-to is Patronus what beer (Lidl, 79p for 500ml I think?) and lemonade in varying amounts.

If you can stretch to 2.5% then Shofferhofer Grapefruit is excellent for a similar sort of "alcopop" taste cover up, again very refreshing!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal