UKBouldering.com

Alcohol free booze... (Read 35870 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#100 Re: Alcohol free booze...
August 05, 2019, 11:55:09 am
So 3T, my understanding is that you’d need 8 cans of 0.5% to equate to one pint of normalish lager... I suspect your body can probably remove the booze at the rate you are consuming it or close enough... :)

From what I heard, the 0.5% beers can be made with the regular brewing process - so you don’t need any fancy equipment - and also mean you get a normal beer taste etc.. Whereas the Zero beers are where they’ve been brewed and the alcohol removed. Its this removal process that makes them taste worse. In this case - they are not actually acohol free (zero percent) its just that they are pretty close to zero. My colleague told me about when he was in Lybia (pre revolution) the expat community used to get becks blue - crack the lid - pop a straw of spaghetti in the bottle and replace the lid. A few days later and it would brew up to 3-4 percent...

I’ve also read something that the 0.5%’ers are also a bit crippled because they don’t count as alc free so have different tax/duty purposes. Or something like that....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#101 Re: Alcohol free booze...
August 05, 2019, 01:46:54 pm
One unit/hour is the usual rate given for breakdown of alcohol https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/lifestyle/how-long-does-alcohol-stay-in-your-blood/ so you’d need to be seriously chugging the 0.5% cans!

Whether this very small amount of alcohol is sufficient to affect whatever receptors is in the brain, I’m not so sure about, and I guess whether that’s important would depend upon the personal reasons for cutting out booze.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#102 Re: Alcohol free booze...
August 05, 2019, 03:25:33 pm
I guess that's my point - flavour-wise I've got a serious preference to the ones I've mentioned in previous posts...but is drinking them...cheating?

My motivations for non-boozing are twofold really - mainly medical (I'm on meds that apparently don't react well to boozing alongside), but also psychological in that I was aware I was probably drinking a bit too often / too much when added up over a week.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#103 Re: Alcohol free booze...
October 15, 2020, 10:56:31 pm
Aldi have started doing some low alcohol beers.
Sainte Etienne 0.0% - a continental style lager. Quite tasty, clean crisp. Similar to the 0.5% Czech pilsners.
The Low Down 0.5% - hoppy, bitter, very tasty. Recommended highly if you like the Brew Dog stuff.
Low Profile 0.5% IPA. Not as good as the other two. Weedy and lacking in mouth feel.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#104 Re: Alcohol free booze...
October 16, 2020, 07:27:17 pm
Was disappointed that Tesco seem to have stopped stocking Flat Tire alcohol free. My favourite misery lager by far. However Shipyard American Low Tide is blimmin lovely and £1.30 for a half litre bottle down here (Cornwall.) Fruity notes due to the hops with a nice dry finish to it. A really nice clean American (hopped) Pale Ale if you like your beers crafty, but without the head in the morning at 0.5% Cheers  :beer2:

tomtom

• forum hero
#105 Re: Alcohol free booze...
October 16, 2020, 07:35:55 pm
Our Tesco is still doing Flat Tyre - but sadly not the Big Drop Stout that was superb.

However - I tried the Zero% Hoegaarden (sp?) last week and its decent. Its not brilliant but for a zero (rather than a 0.5) its good. Certainly not a million miles from the original - and almost tasted like a can of pop! Better than Becks, Heineken, - all the other main ones that just taste syrupy.

Dolly

• forum hero
#106 Re: Alcohol free booze...
October 16, 2020, 10:28:40 pm
IMO Best stuff by miles is all the stuff from Big Drop brewing. 2 of their beers won medals last week against (I think) beer with alcohol
Found in supermarkets but you can always buy directly from them which means they get more as well
Poolside DDH was my late summer fave but their pine and citrus beers are also ace

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#107 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 01:50:56 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for alcohol free (or low alcohol) gin?

Looking for a proper juniper flavour "gin" as a gift, not a syrupy flavoured "gin"?

We tried the Seedlip alcohol free spirits and found them a bit lacking in the astringent qualities we're looking for; any other recommendations?

tomtom

• forum hero
#108 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 02:28:30 pm

Looking for a proper juniper flavour "gin" as a gift, not a syrupy flavoured "gin"?

We tried the Seedlip alcohol free spirits and found them a bit lacking in the astringent qualities we're looking for; any other recommendations?

Tried a couple - never bothered again. Sorry. Tesco’s AF G&T in a can isnt too bad but somehow doesn’t work as well as AF beer (to me at least)

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#109 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 03:44:20 pm
Mrs B raves about Atopia, which having tasted is definitely a pleasant enough drink, but I’m no gin connoisseur.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#110 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 03:52:19 pm
A shoutout for the M and S alcohol free wine range. I wasn't sure at first but then really got into it.

Also, a shout out to Aldi's 0% pilsener that is really good. About 2.50 for a six pack. For the first time ever I'm cutting out 6 days a week at the moment  so keen to hear of more recommendations.

galpinos

• forum hero
#111 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 03:58:36 pm

Tried a couple - never bothered again. Sorry. Tesco’s AF G&T in a can isnt too bad but somehow doesn’t work as well as AF beer (to me at least)

A decent tionic, lime and a dash of bitters is far nicer (and cheaper) than any alcohol free gin in a faux gin and tonic.

galpinos

• forum hero
#112 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 05, 2020, 03:59:52 pm

Beer wise, my current favourite by a country mile is Nemo. Out of stock at the moment though.

https://brightsidebrewing.co.uk/product/nemo/

andy_e

• forum hero
#113 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 09, 2020, 12:25:41 pm
For the first time ever I'm cutting out 6 days a week at the moment  so keen to hear of more recommendations.

You tried any AF whisky lid?

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#114 Re: Alcohol free booze...
November 09, 2020, 12:30:04 pm
So after about 3 years of no alcohol I think it's been long enough that I've forgotten how nice red wine can be and have even found the Eisberg Merlot (warmed, with a spicy curry) to be really enjoyable.

Personally quite enjoy cold no alcohol whites/sparkling ones. The Nosecco is nice even on a hot day (tho to be honest, the closest thing I've found to a nonalcohol wine is actually kombucha!).

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#115 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 06:01:21 am
Brewdog have some of their alcohol free beer prices reduced on their website right now. Not sure if regular occurrence, but also have some on there I haven’t tried so bought a selection as well as a load of Punk AF. Also Infinite Sessions IPA a bit cheaper from their website right now.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#116 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 07:19:42 am
Bought some of the Elvis AF and. really enjoying it. Much better than the Punk AF IMO.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#117 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 07:36:35 am
Great! I’ve got some of that on the way too.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#118 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 07:40:33 am
Good shout - I bought a couple of AF ones from the Big Drop site. The Pine Trail Pale Ale is excellent, far superior to Nanny State / Punk AF. I got the AF lager they do as well - it's alright - better than the majority of the AF lagers out there but still a little over-sweet / sickly.

Over Xmas I got a bottle of Lucky Saint to try - think that's the go-to AF Lager, really good stuff.

tomtom

• forum hero
#119 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 07:59:08 am
I’ve developed a taste for the AF Lefe and AF Hoegaarden (both from Tesco). Both are not the same as their alcoholic versions - and if you think they are you’ll be disappointed. But they do taste like AF versions ish - and decent in their own right.

galpinos

• forum hero
#120 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 18, 2021, 09:01:07 am

Beer wise, my current favourite by a country mile is Nemo. Out of stock at the moment though.

https://brightsidebrewing.co.uk/product/nemo/

Whilst Nemo was out of stock I have mostly been drinking Vandestreek Playground IPA. Equally as nice, though different. I prefer Nemo, the wife prefers Playground. Either way, neither last long.

RobK

• stalker
#121 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 23, 2021, 05:39:37 pm
Bought some of the Elvis AF and. really enjoying it. Much better than the Punk AF IMO.

Just got some of this to try. Truly awful! Like watered down pop. Definitely the worst of their range (saying something as other than nanny state I don't really rate any of them). Shows how much individual tastes vary.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#122 Re: Alcohol free booze...
January 23, 2021, 05:51:53 pm
I don’t know if it has been said already but I really rate Lucky Saint and the one from Brooklyn beer which tastes quite fruity.

Shows how much individual tastes vary.

Definitely. I really don’t mind the Brewdog offerings but my other half can’t stand them.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#123 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 02:17:45 am
Just ordered a 24-pack bundle from Brewdog of AF beers. Partly as they don’t deliver the alcohol versions in Colorado and partly because I’m not light atm.

4X Nanny State
4X Punk AF
4X Elvis AF
4X Hazy AF
4X Wake up Call
4X Ghost Walker

Will report back in due course

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#124 Re: Alcohol free booze...
March 29, 2021, 10:12:32 am
Brief update - Harbour Brewing (who I've had a few cases of normal ale from over the last year or so) are now doing an AF and it's very good.

Quite Punk AF-ish in flavour, kind of inbetween that and the Nanny State. I'd put it in my top 3 for sure.

Only available via mail order at the moment but I'm pretty sure they're doing free delivery at the moment, check their Insta

https://harbourbrewing.com/collections/all#section15

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal