UKBouldering.com

Overtraining (Read 2784 times)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Overtraining
September 14, 2004, 02:39:37 pm
More overclimbing really.
Haven't climbed indoors for a few months only outside a few times a week. Have been doing some chinups (sets of 5 slowly) on the days I haven't climbed. For the last few weeks my muscles in my shoulders and upper back have ached before during and after climbing. Haven't been getting stronger over the last few weeks either.

now I would understand if it was overtraining from going to the wall 4 times a week. Does anyone have any experience of anything simlar.
What does overtraining feel like?

thanks

dave

#1 Overtraining
September 14, 2004, 02:47:18 pm
warming up/down more, stretching maybe?

Simon S

• menacing presence
#2 Overtraining
September 15, 2004, 07:10:41 pm
Well i have to admit that i've never overtrained for climbing as i'm just to lazy. :)  However i have managed it several times when i used to do loads of cycle racing. Do you feel generally tired, irritable, or  lacking in power?These are all signs of over training/under resting. It tends to take roughly the same amount of time to recover as the length of time that over training took place. Although this can be rather approximate!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Overtraining
September 15, 2004, 08:19:57 pm
Maybe give the chinups a rest on the days that you're not at the crag to let your body recover a bit more?

Sometimes I find just having four or five days of doing nothing at all is useful to let your body fully recover.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#4 Overtraining
September 15, 2004, 09:13:34 pm
Haven't been getting stronger over the last few weeks either

woudn't have thought any real, noticeable gains in strength could be made in two weeks anyway.

reading your post, it reads like you're not havin any rest days at all? if thats the case your body will just be tired and a bit stressed. even i have 1 day off for every 6 on :roll:  :wink: just take a week off. try going swimming every other day during your rest week as well. and do plenty of stretching.

dave

#5 Overtraining
September 15, 2004, 09:25:06 pm
did't you mean to type

Quote from: "Bubba"
Sometimes I find just having four or five months of doing nothing at all is useful to let your body fully recover.

:wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Overtraining
September 15, 2004, 09:34:20 pm
Months? Pah!

Years...  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal