UKBouldering.com

Peak Area AGM & meeting Weds 22 Nov and newsletter (Read 11846 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Peak Area newsletter now up Thanks again to Cofe and Dave

Peak Area Meeting will be on Wednesday 22nd November at the Maynard Arms in Grindleford.  Food will be available from 6pm - 7pm, and the meeting will start at 6.30pm.

Hopefully this will tempt you all to arrive earlier so that we can start on time - as we have some big topics to discuss as well as holding the AGM.

The rough schedule is:

6.30pm - a presentation / Q&A session about Stanage, with Sarah Fowler (Chief Executive of the Peak District National Park Authority)
7pm - AGM
7.30pm - ordinary meeting, including a presentation from the Organisational Review Group.
9.30pm - the annual quiz (courtesy of cheque and Dave)

mark20

• junky
"I have been told, but have not been able to confirm, that at least some of the ‘Private Land’ signs above Standing Stones have disappeared. Anyone know?"
I was there about 2 weeks ago and there is still a fairly large Private Land sign on the walk in to Standing Stones along the quad track, and some on the other side of the road too.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Road works will affect access to the Maynard for anyone travelling from Sheffield (via the Fox House):

The B6521 north (uphill) of the Maynard is currently closed for roadworks.  Anyone approaching from Sheffield (via the Fox House) will need to allow an extra 10-15 minutes for their journey, and loop round to the west via Hathersage.

From Hathersage take the B6001 (Station Road) to Grindleford.  At Grindleford, turn left on to the B6521 through the village, over the river and up the hill to the Maynard.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Quiz questions!

Round Zero- which Peak crags are home to these rites?

Jelly Baby Slab
Mars
Chocolate Blancmange Gully
Gobstopper
Kit Kat
Toothache

Whisky Wall
Drunken Sunday
Beer Matters
The Double Double
DT’s Route
Calling the Shots

Top Shelf Mantel
Indecent Exposure
Hairy Legs
Gripple Nipple
Rubber-faced Wall
Golden Shower

Torture
Burglar in my Bedroom
Battery Crack
Counterfeit
Murder of the Innocent
Jailhouse Rock

Stabbsy

• junky
Drunken Sunday is at New Mills Torrs - first ascentionist of the neighbouring route (Drank on Saturday) was my old schoolteacher who first introduced me to climbing.

Gripple Nipple, Counterfeit - Stanage
Burglar in my Bedroom - Bell Hagg
Indecent Exposure - Raven Tor
Chocolate Blancmange Gully - it's one of the On Peak Rock esoterica ticks, Mam Tor?

SamT

• forum hero
choc blamange is Horseshoe,
Dt's Route is at Moat Butress
Indecent is at Raven Tor

Are the only ones I know for certain.

kc

• obsessive maniac
Without look them up.

Chocolate Blancmange Gully- that's the mud bank at the back of Horseshoe quarry.
DT's route- is a superseded route on Moat buttress.
Gobstopper- long wall Chee Dale.
Edit
Beat me to it sam

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Kit Kat also Stanage
Torture appropriately is at Ramshaw
Battery Crack Roches I think

Ashamed to know so few

SamT

• forum hero
Ashamed to know so few

^^ this..

Been looking a few up where I thought I knew the answer, turns out I didn't and their pretty obscure some of them!!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Ashamed to know so few

^^ this..

Been looking a few up where I thought I knew the answer, turns out I didn't and their pretty obscure some of them!!

Yeah, the quiz turned out to be really pretty tough: 28 out of a possible 60 was the best score. It's quite hard to pitch the difficulty- as I said more than once after being met with a room full of blank faces, Dave (who did half the rounds but it doesn't look like he's posting on here at the moment  :'( ) said to me earlier in the evening "I reckon this quiz is too easy".  :lol:

I'll post another of my rounds in a bit.

205Chris

• forum hero
It's quite hard to pitch the difficulty

I know that feeling. Think I got heckled around question 6 when I did it a couple of years ago. Nothing like the 'dying on stage' feeling  :)

Unfortunately I was away this year but the biggest surprise when I did it was no one managed to identify a picture of Jerry Moffatt from back in the day which I'd assumed would be a gimme in a room full of peak stalwarts.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
I thought it was just right tbh. A a lot of the questions were of the kind that you can have a good guess at or have a good discussion about even if you don't know the answer.

It's like the classic pub quiz question who won the League Cup in 1978. Pretty much nobody knows the answer to that but everybody can name any number of teams that could have won it.

Anyway, I enjoyed it but I was on the winning team. Thanks Cheque and Dave.

205Chris

• forum hero

Who's doing the 2018 quiz?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
It's quite hard to pitch the difficulty

I know that feeling. Think I got heckled around question 6 when I did it a couple of years ago. Nothing like the 'dying on stage' feeling  :)

I thought yours was ace.

We did get heckled a bit, but with the advantage of following what must surely have been the most mind-numbing Peak Area meetings ever the crowd were only ever going to be on our side.  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
More questions please.

SamT

• forum hero

Was there a mime this year - I loved Robs Marcel Marceau version of Wuthering a couple of years ago.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Round 2: Stars in their Guides

What's the earliest route in the current Rockfax Peak Limestone "Top 50"?

According to the current definitive guides, there's only one 3 star Diff in the Peak. At which crag is it located?

Again according to the current definitive guides, Stanage is the crag with the most three star E1s. Which crag has the second most?

Again according to the current definitive guides, only one crag has five 3 star E5s. Which one?

There are only eight 3 star routes in the whole of Bob Whitaker's 1976 Chew Valley Guide. How many can you name?

What is the hardest "bold star" problem in the Vertebrate Churnet Bouldering guidebook?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

Who's doing the 2018 quiz?

Kim Layland, Toby Wright and Ellie Pygall. With a promise to include some Hillwalking questions.

So get swatting up on your ring ousel, reachy boulder problems and female peak climbing knowledge!? Maybe...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
With a promise to include some Hillwalking questions.

Peter the ever-enthusiastic hillwalking guy has volunteered to set some of these if needed.

I feel pretty guilty that me and Dave served up an almost completely rock climbing based quiz, especially as I'd promised that I wouldn't.

When I signed up last November I thought "I'll have my film finished by then and I'll do the best, most ambitious and fairest quiz the Maynard has ever seen!" between me and Shark we had a host of preparation-heavy multimedia rounds planned to dazzle and amaze all involved.

Come this November Shark had bailed and I was still working on the film so plans were scaled back a bit...  ::)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I don't really know the answers to these but I'm going to make some guesses.

Round 2: Stars in their Guides
According to the current definitive guides, there's only one 3 star Diff in the Peak. At which crag is it located?
Black Rocks?

Again according to the current definitive guides, Stanage is the crag with the most three star E1s. Which crag has the second most?
Millstone?

Again according to the current definitive guides, only one crag has five 3 star E5s. Which one?
The Roaches?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Wrong on all counts I'm afriad Will.

No-one got the E1 question right: 3 star E1s are a rare and oddly-distributed resource in the Peak.

SamT

• forum hero
I was thinking millstone for the E1s, with all the embankment routes, but looked it up on t'other channel and there are about 4 on the entire crag.

Roaches??  or somewhere completely obscure and random, like Shining Cliff, or Brassington.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
somewhere completely obscure and random

:yes:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
The E5s must be High Tor?

Is the Diff the Roaches (Inverted Staircase)?

And I'll fire Standing Stones in for the E1s?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
The E5s must be High Tor?

:no: That's what Shark thought but it has only four in the current guide , it might have more in the imminent one though.

Is the Diff the Roaches (Inverted Staircase)?

:no:

And I'll fire Standing Stones in for the E1s?

BOOM  :clap2: Wadded.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:52:51 pm by cheque »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal