UKBouldering.com

Bouldering spots that are fun for kids near Wetherby (Read 2613 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
A somewhat niche topic title but......

I'm trying to combine squeezing some climbing in with some family time and a social engagement in Wetherby that I can't get out of.

We are heading over on Sunday morning from Manchester, would like somewhere to climb that the kids (1 and 4, they like exploring) will enjoy that we can stop off at/go to in the morning and continue on to Wetherby in the afternoon.

My first thought was Brimham but it's a fair drive there and the youngest one gets a little car sick so I'd imagine we'd arrive at the crag covered in vomit.

Any ideas?

yetix

• forum abuser
Almscliff?

tomtom

• forum hero
Almscliff?

Yes if its not too windy.

If it is then Caley is more sheltered..

Or - as an 'out there' esoteric venue - which is pretty but limited (easy) climbing potential Spofforth? More en-route etc..

I would not recommend Wetherby crag - its polished overhanging limestone with a significant amount of 'detritus' from dog walkers....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Spofforth is kid friendly. Hetchell, I would imagine is good, though I haven't been personally.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
What's wrong with Wetherby?

Some fun eliminates, pumpy traverses and a river for the kids to drown in

tomtom

• forum hero
What's wrong with Wetherby?

Some fun eliminates, pumpy traverses and a river for the kids to drown in

Its a bit more type II fun... :)

Catcheemonkey

• addict
I wouldn’t recommend Hetchell for kids, as it’s really just one buttress with a steep slope at the bottom. The surrounding woods are good for a wonder round though.

Spofforth is great for kids - safe for a 1 and a 4 year old, with plenty to explore. The climbing is ‘niche’ though. If quality climbing, rather than entertaining the family, is the priority then Almscliffe or Caley are a better bet, you’ll however need to be quite on-it to keep young kids safe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal