UKBouldering.com

Anyone about/out at Nesscliff tomorrow afternoon? (Read 1709 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Hi all - big ask and all very last min - but I’m staying 2 miles from Nesscliff with work at the moment and finish tomorrow about 12:30... I’ve no pad but all my other stuff. On the very remote chance anyone on here was heading out there tomorrow after lunch and doesn’t mind showing a Nesscliff first timer around....?
Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The old path goes straight up to Knyaston's cave from the village, but nowadays the parking is round to the west. Either way I'd go to the middle bit first then explore - it's a very impressive place. There is bouldering around the cave you could do with a couple of floor mats from the car. It's all at the base of the crag so up you aren't likely to be temoted to get too high. Most of the routes - My Piano, Red Square etc - are round to the left but make sure you look at the big quarry to the right too - it's massive. There is a little natural outcrop of very hard rock on top of the big quarry and reached through tunnels in the rhododendrons, but you'd need a pad really. Great spot to hangout though.

Alternatively Grinshill is not far, the middle buttress is great for steep, juggy 5b/c highball/ solos that top out - a bit like Frodsham. When I used to climb there regularly pads hadn't been invented. Park in Clive and follow the holloway by the church up along the top of the edge. Go past the houses on the left then bear right. The other buttresses are mostly higher and sandier.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks JB and thanks Dontfollowme who sent me a DM about it.

It all went a bit pear shaped as I was due to get away at 12:30 but it ended us being 2:30 and I needed to be back near home for 4-5pm... (and the weather looked like it was starting to turn). So ended up motoring back to Manchester and having a quick hour at the depot before I was due home.

We go there every year - so next year I’ll be more prepared and head down early...

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me - it’s much appreciated and I’d like to just have a nose about:..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal