UKBouldering.com

Tipping a Barber?? (Read 10937 times)

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 09:50:16 am
Random question but how much do people (if at all) tip a barber?

Usually I just hand over a £10 note and say keep the change, with my normal barber the price has slowly slowly crept up to £9 and as such the 'tip' as slowly dwindled

I went to a different barber last night but the price was £11 (didn't know until paying), this kind of threw me, I handed over £15 but didn't know how much to tip, so took the full change and left

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 09:52:10 am
They should have made their price 14 quid which effectively means you're 100% a tool if you don't give them 15 (in their eyes at least).

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#2 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 09:55:13 am
Yeah, I always thought that of my last place, why keep putting the price up as they are effectively getting less 'tax free'  :worms: money

My only thought is that less people tip than those which do

They should have made their price 14 quid which effectively means you're 100% a tool if you don't give them 15 (in their eyes at least).

dave

#3 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 10:11:37 am
Sorry did I miss a memo, but if you're in the UK then tipping ain't normal or expected is it? I've never tipped a barber, not seen anyone else tip a barber.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 10:55:01 am
I normally give a quid (£11 here in yuppy south Manchester). Might give more if the barber is even more rude/insulting than normal :)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#5 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:00:48 am
I have never seen or heard of anyone tipping a barber!

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:01:54 am
I've never tipped a barber

Having seen your Barnet a few times that's quite clear ;) 🤡

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:09:37 am
I was under the impression that a man tipping a barber was not the done thing, but woman are expected to tip stylists / beauticians etc.  One of those quirks in expectations for different service industries -(we tip waitresses / waitors but not barmen, tip cabbies but not bus drivers etc).

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#8 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:15:28 am
Our kid is a barber and as a rule is tipped. Caveat being that his cheapest cut is £25 which rules out the majority of climbers...

dave

#9 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:22:51 am
I suppose it depends on the joint - tipping is supposed to be for places that pay the staff next to nothing then they are expected to bump up the pay with tips (say bar workers in the US), which most of the time in the UK just isn't the case (with certain exceptions) especially if you barber is basically one or two people self employed in a little shop unit somewhere then they are paying themselves and setting their own prices.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#10 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:41:27 am
I always thought that tipping was not really expected for a gents barbers - the type where for a basic trim, you are in and out in 15 minutes, and the price is a tenner or less.  For a serious stylist, where a bit more craft and thought is involved - almost like a consultation - and it takes a lot more time, I can see how there might be an expectation to tip (as a reward for not screwing up something eminently screw-upable).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 11:51:00 am
For a serious stylist, where a bit more craft and thought is involved - almost like a consultation - and it takes a lot more time, I can see how there might be an expectation to tip

You mean a comb-over?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#12 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 12:58:35 pm
Get change, grandly separate pound coin and hand back feeling like Mr Big.
Isn't it an oddity of a lot of barbers that jobbing barbers 'rent a chair' in someone else's salon?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#13 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 01:34:01 pm
I've never tipped in a barbers and have been less inclined to tip more generally in recent years (though I still do at restaurants etc most of the time). I see it as a bit of a cop out - we pay people minimum wage so you should give them some extra money as they work hard...

It's become an expectation, rather than a bonus.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#14 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 02:56:21 pm

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#15 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 03:59:17 pm
I've always tried to tip. Barbers, mechanics, waiters, taxi drivers.... Even leave some cans out on top of the bin at Chrsitmas for the refuse collectors. I just thought it was being nice. Even took some tins of choccies into the nurses after my stay in hospital. As for the original question, I'd just stick with keep the change, unless you had a really good natter and have change to hand

fried

• forum hero
#16 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 04:30:33 pm
I always tip barbers, although now I'm bobo Parisian it's a hairdresser, and taxi drivers. Everyone else can fuck off.

StillTryingForTheTop

• addict
#17 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 04:31:26 pm
This works when it is £9, but at £11 it would be a ~40% tip so that seemed extreme (and worse if I only had a £20 note)

I like keep the change, as it is casual, but to sort £1/£2 out of the change and give it back to them seems awkward to me

As for the original question, I'd just stick with keep the change, unless you had a really good natter and have change to hand

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#18 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 07:14:13 pm
This works when it is £9, but at £11 it would be a ~40% tip so that seemed extreme (and worse if I only had a £20 note)

I like keep the change, as it is casual, but to sort £1/£2 out of the change and give it back to them seems awkward to me

As for the original question, I'd just stick with keep the change, unless you had a really good natter and have change to hand

Can people start tipping my staff at the Works if they make you a nice piece of coffee art or if you manage to tick that tricky green/blue/red/black/murple/pinkle/wasp/irnbru* that you've been trying for ages  ;)

(* delete as appropriate)

gme

• forum hero
#19 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 08:23:56 pm
Tipping barbers. The world has gone insane.

The most middle class post ever on UKB. I thought I had gone through to esquire by mistake.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 09:19:23 pm
What Gav said, I assumed it would be a euphemism or route name. Cut your own hair, that's my advice.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#21 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 25, 2017, 09:48:28 pm
Tip taxi drivers, waiters and barbers.

Unless you're tight, of course.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#22 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 26, 2017, 12:41:14 am
The most middle class post ever on UKB. I thought I had gone through to esquire by mistake.

:lol:

Rationally, tipping makes sense for a service that: 1. is provided by a specific person 2. you trust that person to deliver the service well 3. you don't necessarily trust other people to do it 4. the service is important to you in some way 5. you use the service often. In my life, hair cutting is the only thing that ticks all those boxes. So  I always tip the stylist generously.

So to sort of repeat myself, why don't people tip me for the service I provide at the Works, or why don't I tip the guy at Sheffield Waitrose fish counter or the guy at the posh offy/whisky shop on Sharrowvale Rd. The latter in particular ticks all of the boxes.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#23 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 26, 2017, 06:15:09 am
So to sort of repeat myself, why don't people tip me for the service I provide at the Works

You don't have a tip jar.

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: Tipping a Barber??
August 26, 2017, 09:57:27 am
So to sort of repeat myself, why don't people tip me for the service I provide at the Works

You don't have a tip jar.

I give the tall thin guy with spots a couple of quid every time he lets me in for free...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal