UKBouldering.com

Recommendations near Wicklow (Read 2732 times)

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 08:32:15 am
Anybody know much about the bouldering around Glendalough? I've found the short span guide, but just wondering if any one has done much there? I'm looking for stuff around 7A, ideally overhanging with big holds and obvious sequences and nice landings. Oh and top quality ideally. Essentially quick hit stuff for a flying visit. Off for a non climbing (mostly) tour around Ireland and trying to work out if worth sticking a pad in back of car!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 08:58:52 am
I loved Glendalough- fantastic rock, huge amounts of it, beautiful setting.

I had an afternoon there last summer on the hottest day of the year, when I hadn't climbed at all for two months. Needless to say I wasn't on 7s but I was left in no doubt that it's a "quality at every grade" venue. Whether there are some 7as that are an absolute giveaway fit your specifications I can't say though.

dave

#2 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 09:12:43 am
From what I remember with a lot of it being in a kinda boulder jumble/talus field the steeper stuff can be the stuff with worse landings - it ain't bas cuvier. I would drop the steep big hold requirement and just go and do whatever looks good which is fine with one mat, of which you'll probably find a lot.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 09:27:00 am
A lot of the harder problems have not great landings so definitely bring the pad. Most problems, particularly those in the scree are lowish so you should be ok with one pad and a spotter.

Check out things like Chillax, 2.4 Pascals, Quality Contol, The Rails SS,  The Cherry, BBE.

When you say you have found the guide, do you mean the old digital version or the book? The old pdf is very old and crude so mightn't be all that useful.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 09:55:08 am
Thanks all!

Yeah I meant the digital version. Might have to see about finding copy of book.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 08:16:39 pm
BBE looks awesome, not least because of the seemingly easy to recognise shape of the boulder!

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 24, 2017, 08:58:20 pm
I had two mats when I was there and was still a bit spooked on some of the landings. Mainly as on one of the classics a massive jug ripped off, I wouldn't have minded if I been caning the Guinness but I'd been fairly restrained.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 25, 2017, 10:42:10 am
I'd definitely take a pad if you have room. And take the guide if you can get your hands on a copy, good bouldering everywhere in Ireland.

If you are planning on tradroutes too, Glendalough has some good stuff.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Recommendations near Wicklow
August 25, 2017, 02:20:42 pm
And take the guide if you can get your hands on a copy, good bouldering everywhere in Ireland.

This is a good point, if you are travelling around the touristy spots of Ireland you will pass close to plenty of other bouldering areas. (and buy the guide!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal