UKBouldering.com

Beta request: Tin foil in wet pockets? (Read 4259 times)

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
Beta request: Tin foil in wet pockets?
July 31, 2017, 02:26:10 pm
Over the weekend, my Kilnsey project was getting increasingly damp, and in-between dogging to dry out the pair of damp pockets, and then getting on redpoint, the seepage had come through again, despite choking the back of the pocket with chalk.

Has anyone got any experience of using tin-foil to cover up the wetness and leaving something climbable?

I imagine you'd just rip the foil, and even if it remains water-tight, surely it'd be slick and frictionless?

All knowledge gratefully received  ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
Andy Cave was pulling out desperate measures like this last year on Urgent Action. Supposedly the foil molds well to the texture of the rock.

With a pocket on a route in the Peak (Rumble...) I was filling a sock with chalk and leaving it rammed in the hole to remove on RP. It was like climbing on paste. Surely Ted (and anyone else as optimistic with conditions) have some tricks?

Doylo

• forum hero
It's worked for me. Think it depends on the hold though, I used it on two biggish holds. I think it would work less well on smaller holds. Don't use cheap stuff!

36chambers

• forum hero
On a large two finger pocket (which was as deep as my fingers are long) I actually found a plastic sandwich bag to be much better than tinfoil. However, this particular pocket may have been an anomaly.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I used a carrier bag on the initial pocket of Raindogs - a Tesco one to be precise - I found their cheap and crinkley texture (more crystalline polyethylene?) was grippier than plastic bags with a softer, smoother feel.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I used a carrier bag on the initial pocket of Raindogs - a Tesco one to be precise - I found their cheap and crinkley texture (more crystalline polyethylene?) was grippier than plastic bags with a softer, smoother feel.

Quintessential Moose.

andy_e

• forum hero
On a large two finger pocket (which was as deep as my fingers are long) I actually found a plastic sandwich bag to be much better than tinfoil. However, this particular pocket may have been an anomaly.

Something about this statement that causes me to think "fnarr fnarr"...

nic mullin

• menacing presence
more crystalline polyethylene?

abso-bloody-exactly

a13c

• regular
I remember climbing at pantymwyn a while back and somebody had left some tin foil in the start holds of pantys down. It was surprisingly grippy. I think if the holds are sufficiently incut it can work.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I can tell you how to make a tin foil hat?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal