UKBouldering.com

Cornwall (Read 7194 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Cornwall
September 09, 2004, 09:08:42 pm
Anyone been to this place?

http://www.javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/CornwallBouldering/Gwynver/index.shtml#map

Might be down that way soon so after somewhere where I can mess about with a bit of bouldering and missus bubba can chill by the sea....

What's Northcott like in that respect? And is there a topo anywhere?

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Cornwall
September 09, 2004, 09:40:14 pm
Yes! Its alright actually. Went there last year and did a lot of those problems; good rock, beautiful place, sounds like just the job for ya.

The beach is very near the small village of Sennen (although you can't walk to it across the beach) and is very popular with surfers. Very chilled. Some good rock hopping too if you're in to that kind of thing too. A point of note is that there are ALOT of steps down to the beach, so don't take a massive hamper or owt!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Cornwall
September 09, 2004, 09:57:33 pm
Thanks Nigel  :)

Sounds just the thing...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 01:46:42 am
The only drawback is the landings - a minimum of two mats will be required unless you are extremely brave!

doesn;t really sound like a place to go by yourself

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 07:04:24 am
It's ok, I probably won't get far enough off the floor to worry.

Is it too harsh even for a mighty Franklin?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 10:03:49 am
just got back from a week down there meself, but representing with a surfing flava...there is a topo / article for Northcott Mouth in an old OTE (it's got Leo rinsing that El Cap ting on tha cover) that I took down with me but we never got to go there.

Oh, BTW - go to t'Eden Project if you're down there. It's proper bo I tell thee.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 10:14:09 am
I worked on the construction of the Eden Project putting in those hexagonal inflatable cushion things. We used a half inflated cushion as a boat in the Matlock boxing-day raft race one year and came fourth :D

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#7 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 10:25:25 am
thought i should have been suspiscious...they've got a flamin' great sculpture of a bee just outside the biodome things!

come to think of it i took a photo of that bad yellow and black mutha, I'll post it when i get it out the camera...a likkle bee pr0n fo' yo ass.

andy

#8 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 11:34:05 am
wondered when Cornwall would pop up on here. Gwenver is quite good, but a much better surf spot than bouldering. As a local I think there are much better places down this way, but not publicised (yet), the landings are a bit sketchy at Gwenver and so are some of the problems, ie contrived, the grades are also soft, one of the 7c's feels more like 7a (the pea), having said that it is a pleasnat place to climb and some of the problems are really good.

You could also check out Carn Brea, Clodgy (st Ives), Godrevey (very tide and conditions dependent, as is The Wave) All these spots have been mentioned befor on this site, with some pics by Caedmon Mullin.

Enjoy.

AndyR

• forum hero
#9 Cornwall
September 10, 2004, 12:32:59 pm
Quote from: "andy"
the grades are also soft, one of the 7c's feels more like 7a (the pea),

I'm catching the first 'plane over  :D

paulh

• regular
#10 Cornwall
September 12, 2004, 11:05:45 pm
Quote from: "andy"
As a local I think there are much better places down this way, but not publicised (yet)

I used to be a local surfer at Gwenver b4 I went away to uni and got into climbing. its never struck me as one of the better beach side bouldering venues around there ...

Andy , I'm itchiing to try out some new spots other than Northcott, Godrevy and CarnBrea, next time I'm down, could you post some hints or are these places top secret?

Paul

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Cornwall
September 13, 2004, 09:19:44 am
Northcott and Sandymouth as well as Gwythian have had quite a bit of publicity in the mags, as has Hartland. I could bust out the scanner, but not sure how well they would come out ( I think Si Young did the topo for Northcott in Watercolours!) Have a look at http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk/front.html for Stu's pics. I think the last pages of the South West Gallery are on the Culm spots. Maybe get in touch with him or Si at the Barn for up to daye info?

Did you get any good waves Tommy? Surf up here has been poor for a while.

andy

#12 Cornwall
September 13, 2004, 12:42:16 pm
Yea paul, get in touch and I'll give you some info for other spots. Where are you SA Chris, we have had some good surf down here August and Sept.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Cornwall
September 13, 2004, 12:49:21 pm
"Location: Aberdeen"

Wrong coast, I guess. Best season is still coming though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 02:45:00 pm
The forcast for just about everywhere looks terrible for when I'm heading south.

What else is there to do in Cornwall (I can't surf) apart from the Eden Project?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 02:50:37 pm
I think there is some good snorkling on the south coast and sea temps should be good at this time o year

account_inactive

• forum hero
#16 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 02:57:24 pm
Cider?

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 03:06:54 pm
body surf or body boarding. you only need ot be able to swim.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#18 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 03:20:25 pm
Quote from: "webbo"
body surf or body boarding. you only need ot be able to swim.

blimey, bodyboarding...

I came a hair's breadth away from drowning in Lanzarote as couple of years back messing about on a bodyboard - got dragged out by what a 'dude' would refer to as a 'rip' and had to be rescued by an alert local...wouldn't have been so bad but i was only in waist-deep water  :oops:  

that shizzle was crazy, my legs were literally being pulled out from under me. The board ended up being dashed on some scary jaggedy rocks  :shock:

whatever you do, lay on the thing and swin out a bit in the hope of picking up a wave further out...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 04:30:21 pm
I remember snorkelling in Thailand in that sort of thing, though not as severe - with flippers you could just about move against the flow...but all those poor bastards without flippers were washed out to see and had to be boat rescued. Not the cleverest place to be snorkelling really  :?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#20 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 04:49:20 pm
whatever you do, lay on the thing and swin out a bit in the hope of picking up a wave further out...

sorry that should read:

whatever you do, don't lay on the thing and swin out a bit in the hope of picking up a wave further out...

:oops:

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 04:55:02 pm
lucky bubba's not set off yet. :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Cornwall
September 16, 2004, 07:25:36 pm
:lol:

Thanks for the replies folks but since the forcast for next week is pissing it down every day, we're sacking it off and probably get a cheap last minute deal to the Canaries or something in a few weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal