UKBouldering.com

Recommendations for near Shepton Mallet (Read 3142 times)

boxmonkey

• regular
Recommendations for near Shepton Mallet
April 23, 2017, 01:10:00 pm
I'm going to be in Shepton Mallet in a month or so and I may have a few hours spare to boulder.

Anyone have any good suggestions? I came across Ubley Warren Rocks and Croscombe Valley Cliffs on UKC but neither look particularly appealing - unless anyone has first hand experience and would recommend?

Trad climbed in Fairy Cave a few years back but don't think its much of a venue for bouldering.

Anyone had any good suggestions? Should mention I'll have the car.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Have you looked at options on UKC? If you are only after a couple of hours bimble, you could just have a play on one of the locals crags.

Split Rock is the nearest to there I've ever been to, and you could probably have a play on there.

Duma

• forum hero
I'm going to be in Shepton Mallet in a month or so and I may have a few hours spare to boulder.

Anyone have any good suggestions? I came across Ubley Warren Rocks and Croscombe Valley Cliffs on UKC but neither look particularly appealing - unless anyone has first hand experience and would recommend?

Trad climbed in Fairy Cave a few years back but don't think its much of a venue for bouldering.

Anyone had any good suggestions? Should mention I'll have the car.

No "good" suggestions, and if you end up at Ubley Warren or Croscombe you'll be dissapointed - though Ubley is a lovely spot, unless you're a complete beginner it's not worth bringing your boots.

Cheddar is the same distance - what grade range you interested in? Tombstone is really good, and if three nine or monkof funk read this they may pm you the new spot they found.

Otherwise a bit further to the Toll road stuff at Weston, or The Prow at Sand Point - it's all a bit "local" though - prob just drive to one of the Bristol walls if you want a workout.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If you are going to Weston you can get to Sally in the Woods at Bathford in similar time (I think?)

Duma

• forum hero
True. Also very local quality

remus

• forum hero
Im probably biased having spent quite a bit of time there, but I quite like Crosscombe (and Correges Cumb just across the valley). Really nice woodland setting and some entertaining problems on pockets, some slightly harder stuff available if you don't mind traverses. Most of the stuff on UKC can be highballed at varying levels of scariness. If you venture over to Correges take a big stick, the path along the bottom might be a bit overgrown at this time of year.

Sally in the woods is a similar story with the added bonus of being more scattered, so finding the problems can be a bit tricky for a first visit.

As mentioned Ubley is very limited. Lots of stuff on UKC but it's basically a couple of very minor buttresses where you can climb anywhere at about font 4+/5.

If you've got a rope and shunt handy the routes at Split Rock are pretty good. There's also a very minor wall towards the left hand end where you can make up some eliminates, you'll need to be pretty desperate though! Imagine a wall ~1/3rd the size of minus ten at stoney...

If the grip of mendip lime is strong on your soul you could try dinder wood, some pretty good routes that make scary solos.

There's some really good problems at cheddar but they're quite spread out and pretty limited. Tombstone cave is your best bet for a quick hit, there's tombstone itself at 7C then some good 7A/+ things (bring tape gloves though).

If you can get a bit further afield then bourton combe near bristol has some decent travs.

Ladye Bay near clevedon has some good bits, though the rock quality is a bit suspect in places.

Lots of other bits of esoterica in the bristol area if the above isn't enough to whet your appetite! UKC is fairly comprehensive.

boxmonkey

• regular
Thanks for the advice guys.

I did check on UKC and that brought up Ubley and Crosscombe. If I have my son with me it sounds like we'll head to Ubley.

Assuming Cheddar is quite spread out then it might not work for a quick fix unless I session Google Tape Gloves or Almost as Obvious.

Tempted by Split Rock quarry. Would anyone recommend having a play there over sessioning in Cheddar?

remus

• forum hero
Yeah, if you've got gear for a shunt/top rope then you'll be able to fill a few hours at split rock. They're all pretty good routes and setting up a rope on them is generally easy.

Certain surprise and video kills are good at E3, Red Rag to a Bull, Crimson Dynamo and tricky dicky are all good at E5. Smashing of amps is a good 7c+.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal