UKBouldering.com

UK election 2017 (Read 132379 times)

dave

#325 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 06:22:26 pm
...or maybe it's fairly undeniable?  Plus, as they go on to mention in the article itself about that guy, it doesn't actually change anything.  They're due to appear in court on the 4th July so that's too late for this election meaning he's on there no matter what. 

Well it does change things, and it's clearly not too late for the election is it. Loads of people could decide not to vote for him.

Nigel

• forum hero
#326 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 06:45:58 pm
The stars are beginning to align
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/ng-interactive/2017/jun/02/the-guardian-view-on-our-vote-its-labour

I welcome it, but this really needs a McEnroe "you cannot be serious!" GIF! What are the opinion writers going to write about now? All they ever did was vilify Corbyn!

Nigel

• forum hero

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#328 UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 07:07:53 pm
And the Torygraph seems to be slowly rounding on May.
After their piece pushing for Rudd to succeed May, this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/02/jeremy-corbyn-approval-ratings-rise-theresa-mays-popularity/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

Edit:

I don't know if anyone here saw that Torygraph opinion piece about Rudd:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/amber-rudd-theresa-mays-saviour-successor/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

Paywalled for full article, but the first paragraph has the important cant.

There has been a good deal of sniping at May from the Editorial staff of that rag.
Osborne gave her a stinging slap from the pages of the Standard (I've lost the link, but it was snide), too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:24:17 pm by Oldmanmatt »

i.munro

• junky
#329 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 07:21:29 pm
Ok let's be wildly optimistic & assume that the Tories don't win a majority ... what happens then?
Lab & the LD claim they won't work with anyone.

God help us, a minority Tory govt reliant on Lab to achieve a hard Brexit - really? Electoral suicide for Labour surely ?

Minority Lab govt - getting it's social stuff through with LD/SNP support & Brexit through with CON/UKIP/BNP support - sounds just about possible but unlikely.

It's looking ominously like another election while the Article 50 clock ticks.

What do people think ?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#330 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 07:43:40 pm
What do people think ?

we put Sturgeon in charge, strike up our own deal with Ireland and then help Ireland to annex France - then Ireland, Scotland and France guide the whole enterprise in a gaelic/gaulic direction

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#331 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 07:55:18 pm
What do people think ?

we put Sturgeon in charge, strike up our own deal with Ireland and then help Ireland to annex France - then Ireland, Scotland and France guide the whole enterprise in a gaelic/gaulic direction

Only if Getafix supplies the magic potion and Menhirs are exempted from import Tariffs.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#332 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 08:06:10 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/ng-interactive/2017/jun/02/the-guardian-view-on-our-vote-its-labour

I welcome it, but this really needs a McEnroe "you cannot be serious!" GIF! What are the opinion writers going to write about now? All they ever did was vilify Corbyn!
The winds of change are amazing. Think corbs has been on the corfefe :coffee:
The guardian, me included have been pretty pissed off with Lab/corb's over the last couple of years. They simply drifted along, no focus or energy just lots of bickering. However for all his faults, corby's is an excellent campaigner and his manifesto gives everybody hope about a more positive future for all of us. Since that moment the wind has definitely been behind corbs.

Some in the lab cabinet are excellent, brains trust keir and Barry, are up there with any of the big hitters from labs past. Notice how the Abbott has been sidelined recently, whoever has been working on the pr side of things obviously has their finger on the pulse. Corbs appears to have the magic maybe even PM material who would have thought that 5 weeks ago.

Cons are imploding further day by day. To be a fly on the wall in Tory hq, I am feeling a bit sorry for May, she looks really unwell. Maybe it's the "chain" but she seems to have the weight of the world on her shoulders. For me the big turning point was the Tory manifesto it was/is simply a blank cheque for them to do as they pleased. It unravelled almost as soon as it was presented. May/Cons don't appear to want to answer any questions just bulldoze things through.

I don't think that guardian could get behind libs, Farron is just a bag of hot air, shown for what he was last night.

Corbs, after all the attacks from inside lab, from the press etc, needs to be congratulated on all he has done over the last few weeks. He has turned things around and I think that guardian supports what he has done in championing a fairer more humane outlook for everybody.

It would be a shame having run a good race Corbs didn't scoop the top prize. But won't be despondent though if he doesn't at least he has given it his all, he never gave up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:27:56 pm by jfdm »

i.munro

• junky
#333 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 08:09:57 pm
Incidentally you have to wonder where Labour might ne know of the PLP hadn't stabbed Corbyn in the back in June.

powderpuff

• regular
#334 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 08:20:14 pm

The winds of change are amazing.
The guardian, me included have been pretty pissed off with Lab/corb's over the last couple of years. They simply drifted along, no focus or energy just lots of bickering. However for all his faults, corby's is an excellent campaigner, his manifesto gives everybody hope about a more positive future for all of us. Since that moment the wind has definitely been behind corbs.
Some in the lab cabinet are excellent, brains trust kier and Barry, are up there with any of the big hitters from labs past. Notice how the Abbott has been sidelined recently, whoever has been working on the pr side of things obviously has their finger on the pulse. Corbs appears to have the magic maybe even PM material who would have thought that 5 weeks ago.
Cons imploding further day by day, to be a fly on the wall in Tory hq. I am feeling a bit sorry for May, she looks unwell. For me the big turning point was Tory manifesto it was/is simply a blank cheque for them to do as they pleased. It unravelled almost as soon as it was presented.
I don't think that guardian could get behind libs, Farron is just a bag of hot air, shown for what he was last night.
So all in all Corbs, after all the attacks from inside lab, from the press etc, needs to be congratulated on all he has done over the last few weeks. He has turned things around and I think that guardian supports what he has done in promoting a fairer more humane outlook for everybody.
It would be a shame having run a good race Corbs didn't scoop the top prize. I won't be dispondent though if he doesn't but at least he has given it his all, he never gave up.
I agree, the Corbinator is a totally different man when campaigning. That's what lights him up and has brought Labour within touching distance of the Conservatives

powderpuff

• regular
#335 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 08:29:14 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/02/labour-accuses-tories-of-fake-news-over-video-of-corbyn-ira-comments

I do worry that the dark arts highlighted in this article will have a damaging effect on the vote.hopfully people see this sort of stuff for what it is..... desperate mud slinging bull shit!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#336 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 08:46:10 pm
I'm really fucking pissed off that none of the main players in this election have told us what their policy on calling the grit/lime is.

ITS A FUCKING SCANDAL.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#337 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 09:01:41 pm
The important thing about calling the lime and the grit is to get the best call possible. No call is better than a bad call and we're prepared to walk away from the either medium if the conditions of the call are not right.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#338 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:01:45 pm
No call is better than a bad call and we're prepared to walk away from the either medium if the conditions of the call are not right.

Walk away from either medium, there is always a third way, plastic.

mark20

• junky
#339 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:11:32 pm
You lot cannot be trusted in these negotiations, we voted for a Hard Grit

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#340 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:34:15 pm
Grit is for thepunters many not the talentedfew.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#341 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:37:31 pm
Just watched the big debate, why do people relish talking about Trident.
Most of the thinking seems to be along the lines, we got it why don't we use it.
How many times have they been used in the last 70/80 years?
It's the biggest non starter, its hardly as if the PM is going to consult with Clive from Clithroe about first or second use.

Scrap Trident, use the money on something else.

Tough on lime and tough of the causes of lime is what's needed.

tomtom

• forum hero
#342 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:42:21 pm
I never realised there were so many in York scared of Kim Jong Un targeting Betty's tea rooms - for a Nuclear first strike.

They've got far more to fear from global warming.

dave

#343 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:46:44 pm
Love the audience dickheads who get a hardon at the prospect of firing nukes at north korea, despite the fact that NK only poses a credible nuclear threat to anyone swimming within 10miles of their own coast.

tomtom

• forum hero
#344 UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:52:51 pm
Fair play to the BBC though - Dimblebum let the audience do some hard interrogating of both...

Football fans will be aware of the phrase 'it's the hope that kills you'..

I was quite accepting of a Tory whitewash (in a prepared for it way rather than wanting it of course) - and not engaging in politics for another 5 years - hiding away trying to ignore all the shite. Bit now JC is coming up on the outside of May - as they close towards the line... I have a trickle of hope for a non Tory win...

The fuckers will still swing it somehow. They always do - it's like Germans taking penalties (ask Huddersfield.. ;) )

tomtom

• forum hero
#345 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 10:54:37 pm
I think we should have a coalition to call the grit/lime.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#346 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 11:11:02 pm
We have one, Johnny and Haydn.

Also couldn't believe the grief dished out about trident. But why wouldn't you. Not every day you get to initiate the end of the world.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#347 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 11:16:51 pm
Corbs has been steaming these past few weeks but I think he's stumbled tonight. His chat on domestic issues is brilliant but he doesn't appeal to ya man on da street when he talks foreign policy. I can't see many floating voters coming over to the cause.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#348 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 11:21:42 pm
Fair play to the BBC though - Dimblebum let the audience do some hard interrogating of both...

Football fans will be aware of the phrase 'it's the hope that kills you'..

I was quite accepting of a Tory whitewash (in a prepared for it way rather than wanting it of course) - and not engaging in politics for another 5 years - hiding away trying to ignore all the shite. Bit now JC is coming up on the outside of May - as they close towards the line... I have a trickle of hope for a non Tory win...

The fuckers will still swing it somehow. They always do - it's like Germans taking penalties (ask Huddersfield.. ;) )

I agree with you there TT but I must say I thought that corbs was given more awkward questioning than May. May gets away with shit like saying that they're putting more money into the NHS and then nobody follows it up with a point about per capita spending.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#349 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 11:59:51 pm
The other thing that got my goat.
£4 million to North Korea through foreign aid, did the guy make that up.
Teresa didn't seem to know.
Think it might have been rent a gob, the nuke guy.
Maybe we are selling n Korea Trident piece by piece, year by year.
I don't have a problem with this, British jobs for British workers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal