UKBouldering.com

UK election 2017 (Read 132380 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#300 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 02:56:18 pm
If there is a similar/low Tory majority - the knives will be out for Queen May. And she may well not last long.

If it's a hung parliament depending on the balance of votes we could have a Lab/SNP (and maybe another?) coalition or a Tory minority government.

There's no way Labour will get a majority (that would require a massive SNP implosion as well as taking many English seats) imho.

JC is rising to the challenge (at last) and people are realising May has no policies..

I'm interested in as how much of the Brexit vote was a fuck you to the 'establishment' and whether Jc can capture some of those voters as he really does offer something different from the status quo.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#301 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 03:54:12 pm
If it's hung, there's no chance of a Lib/Con coalition. Farron's been way to outspoken in his dislike of May and even my beloved, dithering, over empathetic Libs wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Would they?

Nigel

• forum hero
#302 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 04:22:58 pm
If there is a similar/low Tory majority - the knives will be out for Queen May. And she may well not last long.

Yes well quite, but how will that go down in the country? "Give me own mandate for Brexit" we were told. All campaigning stuff based on Theresa May rather than Conservative party - then she gets booted out! That's swapping one PM without a mandate for another surely? And who's going to replace her? I thought she was the safe pair of hands amongst all the swivel eyed Tory loons? Don't get me wrong I don't disagree that the knives will be out, they probably already are, I just question the legitimacy of her getting replaced given the way that the Tories have framed the choice in this GE. Although getting rid's an easy sell on a personalities level I don't think it will be an easy sell conceptually / morally. They backed themselves into a corner on this one, if they don't get a decent increase in majority then they can hardly claim to be "strong and stable" and "have a mandate for (hard) Brexit"with TM, but if she goes then surely we're back to square one.

At work so will consider the other points later.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#303 UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 04:59:14 pm
This is worth a read.
I find it amusing that both sides would probably agree with the predictions, whilst simultaneously being either very happy or inordinately incensed by the very same outcome...

Quite tongue in cheek, I ask (assuming some relation to reality) where would things go from there?
Industrial decline (more than we've already experienced, I mean)?
Weak economy, growing weaker?
It looks like a bad idea to me.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2017/06/we-ran-labours-2017-manifesto-through-video-game-and-got-egalitarian

tomtom

• forum hero
#304 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 05:18:39 pm
Superb. I liked the Tory one too... got 6% in the election :D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#305 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 08:59:19 pm
The old adage is that parties don't win elections, they lose them. May going from a predicted landslide to hung will definitely be losing, and the chance of them attempting to continue as a minority seems slim. However if it is very close there are some right wingers in NI who could give them the few extra.

As I said a while back, I think the result on the day will depend on the turnout. Tory voters are notoriously shy so under-represented in polls, but I think many will have less reasons than ever to turnout. Labour is in the opposite position but whether the youth or the corbyn-sceptic-old-guard  will actually turnout remains to be seen. My own theory of British voters is that all that matters is whether the existing lot have been in long enough for the middle to get fed up with the incumbents and fancy the others for a change. Seven years has not been long enough for that since the seventies. But then it's 2017, maybe the lucky sevens are all lining up.

Best case scenario for me would be a hung parliament, followed by a rainbow coalition of the left. All agree on PR, which changes everything, SNP and LD invoke second referendum on Brexit as condition of coalition, which is soundly lost following Trump's impeachment and revelations about Farage/Banks being funded from Russia. Everyone looks back on 2016/7 as a national funny turn and being Brits never mention it again.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#306 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 09:32:11 pm
There is nothing like a rant, especially when you find a money tree in your car from pana-"fuc*king-ma. Shame his battery went kaput at the end, just as he hits his stride :boxing:

He looks like Arnie in Terminator but a bit more circumspect, maybe chief of Corbs security.

Loving this election, Corbs doing really well but thought he was a bit knackered/lack lustre yesterday, needs to keep things going. Manifesto really positive.
The Lab Brexit team miles better than Cons goon squad. -kier, Barry, lady nudgee (uhh) v fox, bozzer, double d. I'd want Brexit negotiations carried out by Lab.

May"be" appears lost in the wilderness, she is so dull almost lifeless. The con manifesto a work of genius, being able to shoot yourself in both feet and head takes some doing.
Seems as though they have lied too often.
7 years and no change or improvement, as far as I can see things getting worse.

Just watched Tiny Tim interview with Neil, he can't half speak. Thought that Neil was going to throw a punch, upset that he couldn't get a word in edge ways. A really horrible interview, both need to go and have a lie down.

Looking forward to seeing Barry later think he might be on Question Time.
Still expect Tory win, but a lot closer than we all first thought.
It's great that there is now some definite choice at this election.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:55:17 pm by jfdm »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#307 UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 10:53:42 pm
This was worth a delve.
I ran it including all policy aspects available (17?).

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/survey/1/select-issues

Unsurprisingly, coming up with:

Edit:

By my estimation, this would make me a very boring shade of brown...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#308 Re: UK election 2017
June 01, 2017, 11:20:13 pm
Actually, it's worth seeing the overall results for this survey.
Possibly those of Liberal/Lefty bent are more likely to investigate their opinions?

The last is a breakdown of the National results.

Seems most people should be voting Green.
Our system, in fact us, we, you and I, suck; don't we.
Who's next for the pistol when I've shot myself in the foot?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#309 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 09:16:17 am

Seems most people should be voting Green.
Our system, in fact us, we, you and I, suck; don't we.
Who's next for the pistol when I've shot myself in the foot?

Yep
Yep
Yep
I'll be voting Lib Dem to make mine count >:( :blink: :shit:

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#310 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 09:20:03 am
Now I know how Herman Buhl felt.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#311 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 11:19:57 am
Now I know how Herman Buhl felt.

You're standing all night, on a shelf too small to sit on, on a 60* ice face, untied?

This will make voting tricky, for sure.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#312 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 12:16:11 pm
Perhaps I am blue with cold?

tomtom

• forum hero
#313 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 01:09:50 pm
 So today has to be a dead cat day.. Tory Mp being charged, May being savaged over non Paris climate deal response.. 

So what's Lynton Crosby going to throw out there???

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#314 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 01:21:15 pm
I was thinking exactly the same - expecting some unsavory allegation re Corbyn they've been saving for an emergency.

Saw today on Owen Jones' Twitter feed that as well as cancelling her appearance on Woman's Hour, The Maybot has been withdrawn from all BBC local radio appearances today.

If they're thinking that Jenny Murray and BBC Radio Lincolnshire look like risky gigs, I'll be interested to see how she (can a robot really be a "she"?) fares against Dimblebot tonight.

tomtom

• forum hero
#315 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 01:36:27 pm
Ahh - maybe they'll do a trump and bring out something on Corbyn 1 hour before the debate...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#316 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 01:39:55 pm
is the issue that only 29% of those asked believe that May is a human?

dave

#317 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 01:50:59 pm
Ahh - maybe they'll do a trump and bring out something on Corbyn 1 hour before the debate...

As has been pointed out on Twitter by some, since the press have been conducting a ridiculous shit-slinging job against Corbachev now from day one what else could they possibly come up with now that will have any impact? He must almost be immune to it now, everyone is desensitised to it, and now it just looks increasingly desperate. They must only be left with "Commie Jez Ate My Hamster" type shit.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#318 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 02:12:01 pm
As has been pointed out on Twitter by some, since the press have been conducting a ridiculous shit-slinging job against Corbachev now from day one what else could they possibly come up with now that will have any impact? He must almost be immune to it now, everyone is desensitised to it, and now it just looks increasingly desperate. They must only be left with "Commie Jez Ate My Hamster" type shit.

Today's Express front page headline taking up 90% of the cover - "CORBYN DOESN'T BELIEVE IN BRITAIN." Below, in usual tiny type, "says Theresa May."

Wood FT

• forum hero
#319 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 02:20:09 pm

Today's Express front page headline taking up 90% of the cover - "CORBYN DOESN'T BELIEVE IN BRITAIN." Below, in usual tiny type, "says Theresa May."

Yes that caught my eye today, wankers.

tomtom

• forum hero
#320 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 02:24:58 pm
I wonder what Crosby has hidden in his 'only for special occasions' folder...

TBH, if he doesn't use it today/tonight, then I'm not sure he has anything.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#321 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 05:12:39 pm
Somebody has found May! She has finally got her mojo back and given the following upbeat message, tense mouth indeed.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#322 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 05:14:30 pm
Front page of (supposedly) pro-Tory, anti-Corbyn, BBC news.
I think they're either, actually pretty neutral or realising the Tories are actually pretty awful.
Strong and Stable, What What, Tally-ho and Toodle-pip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurker

#323 Re: UK election 2017
June 02, 2017, 05:48:53 pm
...or maybe it's fairly undeniable?  Plus, as they go on to mention in the article itself about that guy, it doesn't actually change anything.  They're due to appear in court on the 4th July so that's too late for this election meaning he's on there no matter what. 

I'm kind of hoping that this is the police/CPS giving the Tories a bit of a hard time in the lead up to the election due to all the bullshit they've had to put up with from them.  The fact it happened to be a key seat where they took down Farage is telling.  They had until the 18th June to do this too, so they had the time...

jfdm

• obsessive maniac

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal