UKBouldering.com

Stanage Plantation Parking (Read 17742 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 11:14:30 am
Just a head's up - the new regime at the Peak National Park are planning to begin enforcing parking charges from the 1st April.

I believe this will be via a contractor, in my past experience they make their profits by fines so look out. Obviously bunding the verges is also on the cards to prevent parking outside.

The Stanage sticker scheme has been discontinued.

jshaw

• addict
#1 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 12:02:37 pm
Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know if this will cover all car parks (Millstone, Stanage, Curbar etc.) or limited to the most popular ones?

dave

#2 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 12:28:28 pm
Will be interesting to see the response to this generally. I was reading an old article the other day back from when the ticket machine first went in at the plantation (1997?) and it kept getting vandalised, filled with superglue etc. Will the reception be as frosty this time?where's the current cost of the tickets?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 12:45:29 pm
I think it will cover all their pay and display car parks.

The experience from the nineties was that enforcement cost more money than it recovered, caused resentment among users, and led to increased parking and erosion outside the car parks.

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 12:48:16 pm
Worth reading Henry Folkard's comments on this, Stanage and the PDNPA in the latest Peak Area newsletter.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 02:26:26 pm
Worth reading Henry Folkard's comments on this, Stanage and the PDNPA in the latest Peak Area newsletter.

Crikey - hadn't realised the process behind it was quite so uncompromising. Was wondering about whether peoples' Stanage stickers were still valid.

I definitely remember the Plantation machine in mid-90s...despite having the money and being willing to pay it was impossible 90% of the time as the machine was out of service!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 02:30:43 pm
Cost of tickets:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/parking

and venues:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/parking/parking-locations

Covers Millers Dale so the annual pass makes sense for regular Chee Dale users

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 03:39:51 pm
£25 for residents of the Park, £40 for outsiders. What's the logic behind that then, it has always annoyed me?

dave

#8 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 03:46:11 pm
Keep foreigners out. Peaxit.

Tis annoying since I would argue anyone living in the west end of Sheffield, a climber all their adult life, living 10 mins from Stanage has a greater moral and cultural claim of ownership of somewhere like Stanage than half the resident Peak park population.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 03:56:30 pm
I think it's because they're all so poor in Hathersage.

Staggered by the arrogance of the Peak Park telling the BMC they have 'expanded the Stanage sticker scheme'. Like we didn't know the park-wide pass already existed. Like it doesn't matter where the money goes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 06:42:58 pm
Only 30 for over 60's... not long to go Shark ;)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#11 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 10:47:03 pm
Keep foreigners out. Peaxit.

Tis annoying since I would argue anyone living in the west end of Sheffield, a climber all their adult life, living 10 mins from Stanage has a greater moral and cultural claim of ownership of somewhere like Stanage than half the resident Peak park population.
Arent walkers the main user group

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 30, 2017, 10:53:24 pm
Arent walkers the main user group

they like walking - they can park further away so that they can get more walking done

Eddies

• forum hero
#13 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 11:15:59 am
"Please ensure that you apply for the correct permit by checking where the national park boundary lies. Especially note that Buxton, Dove Holes, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Whaley Bridge, New Mills and Glossop are  all situated outside the National Park boundary, as is the majority of Hayfield"
 :'(
So Peak National Park parking permit = £40/year + National Trust parking permit = £64.80/year

Indecently, the parking wardens were out ticketing on mass up at the roaches at the weekend. Must have fined over one hundreds of cars!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 11:19:33 am
Dear me, don't let the National Trust hear you refer to it as a parking permit!

For years the BMC have been lobbying the NT to introduce a 'Countryside' membership which would contribute to the good landscape and conservation work they do without including access to their Jane Austen theme parks. It was finally trialled in the South-west, only to be withdrawn after a year 'as people just saw it as a parking permit'. Oh the horror.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 11:27:35 am
£25 for residents of the Park, £40 for outsiders. What's the logic behind that then, it has always annoyed me?

Not me ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 12:01:23 pm
For those wanting a NT parking permit rather than supporting the Nt (not me btw) then the cheaper option is to joint NT Scotland (cheaper) or NT New Zealand (much cheaper) and the access abilities/parking are largely transferable. As I understand it...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#17 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 12:29:36 pm
At some NT car parks you can also use an RSPB membership card. Not sure it's any cheaper to join but a better cause.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

cofe

• forum hero
#18 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 12:37:42 pm
You can use your RSPB card at Curbar Gap and Birchen I think. Maybe more.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 12:46:32 pm
What powers do the National Trust have to enforce parking tickets they do hand out at their properties? And what are the penalties likely to be?
I'm following the example of one of Yorkshire's finest crimpers and have ceased to pay for parking at Brimham. I just bury my car in the furthest corner of the car park and haven't been challenged yet.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#20 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 12:49:46 pm
Wimberry.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 01:25:19 pm

oooh; I didn't know this

Eddies

• forum hero
#22 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 02:04:07 pm
Dear me, don't let the National Trust hear you refer to it as a parking permit!
Why... Will they fine me £70?

chris20

• menacing presence
#23 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
March 31, 2017, 02:15:42 pm
What powers do the National Trust have to enforce parking tickets they do hand out at their properties? And what are the penalties likely to be?

From what I gather from my better half who use to work for the NT, they're not set up to do anything, or at least they weren't where she use to work.

Good shout about RSPB parking, I assume that's all part of the Eastern moors partnership

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#24 Re: Stanage Plantation Parking
April 02, 2017, 11:10:52 am
I'm following the example of one of Yorkshire's finest crimpers and have ceased to pay for parking at Brimham. I just bury my car in the furthest corner of the car park and haven't been challenged yet.
Isn't this something to do with signing about penalties for non compliance.
Last time I went to Brimham I thought the parking charges were excessive (good few years ago) £5 for a few hours or something and read all the small print and there was nothing about penalties so decided to not pay. didn't get a ticket so maybe I was lucky or the charges are unenforceable?
Recently got membership of the NT (as we live very close to Lyme park) and we will be out to get as much value as possible out of it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal