UKBouldering.com

New Zealand (again) (Read 1595 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
New Zealand (again)
March 23, 2017, 05:44:53 pm
I know there's a few threads with NZ beta but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. We're heading out there in April, mainly for Castle Hill but also for a bit of sightseeing, so:

1 - How easy is it to hire pads out there? Or should we look at flying with them? We're stopping off in Singapore for a couple of days first so would prefer to avoid lugging pads around if possible.

2 - Is there a bouldering guide available in the UK, or do you need to pick one up out there?

3 - Any must do recommendations up to Font 7c+ ish?

4 - Any other suggestions for places to visit / sights to see?

Any knowledge appreciated.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: New Zealand (again)
March 24, 2017, 01:04:55 am
I know there's a few threads with NZ beta but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. We're heading out there in April, mainly for Castle Hill but also for a bit of sightseeing, so:

1 - How easy is it to hire pads out there? Or should we look at flying with them? We're stopping off in Singapore for a couple of days first so would prefer to avoid lugging pads around if possible.

2 - Is there a bouldering guide available in the UK, or do you need to pick one up out there?

3 - Any must do recommendations up to Font 7c+ ish?

4 - Any other suggestions for places to visit / sights to see?

Any knowledge appreciated.

Hey Chris,

I left NZ at the end of February, beautiful place and as good as it looks.

1 - We hired a big Elderid pad (with smaller start-pad inside) for $18 per day from Smylies Hostel in Springfield. He said it's not worth hiring the smaller, cheaper, pads as they'll "break your ankles".... NZ sales patter... worked on me anyhow.

2 - I've got guides from SA Chris and GingerNinja lent off here but unfortunately they're waiting to be freight shipped back to the UK with my stuff (the books that is). It's definitely worth picking up a guide, it's a true labyrinth. There isn't a hard copy guide to Flock Hill and I spent a day wandering around getting increasingly lost and annoyed walking down the road to 'enlightenment' (just climb things that look good). Joining the Castle Hill Basin website will allow you to scope out Flock Hill online. You could try joining the Christchurch Facebook group, it seemed pretty active with locals and foreign climbers passing through, I saw quite a few requests for lending guides there.

3 - I'm the wrong person for this, Monkey Boy has the most ticks of late, Monkey?

4 - Near Castle Hill is the Cave Stream which is a stream through a cave you can walk though, it might be cold though for you. There's the obvious walk around Christchurch itself, the quake museum etc, but there isn't much. The banks peninsula under Christchurch is beautiful, a really pretty drive in and a nice town at the end (Akaroa)

Heading west from CH there's the Arthur's pass which has some great day hikes and Keas which are wonderful little shits birds. We did the Avalanche Peak track which we thought was great and a nice summit.

I don't know what your budget is but shopping at Pak'n'save will help as it's cheaper and you can get some cents off your fuel with the receipt.

Most Libraries and supermarket have free internet, and McDonalds too if you loiter.

Dunno what the weather is like but when the sun is out it's fucking well strong, factor 50 scenes are necessary.

Enjoy!

monkey boy

• forum hero
#2 Re: New Zealand (again)
March 24, 2017, 07:43:58 am
1 - Pad wise we took them with but there are definitely a few places in Springfield that we saw signs for hiring them. There are also some stashed up at Flock so if you look in the right caves you might get lucky if you're after an extra one.

2 - Guide wise I reckon you'd have to pick one up out there, but not sure where is best for this. We were lucky and got a bit of a tour around both places but from watching videos, looking on the Basin website you can work out what stuff is and then just go in search.

3 - Sunset Arete (7B+), Jet Stream (7C), Interstellar Overdrive (7C+), Chaos out of Order (7C), The Joker (7C), Captain Sassy (7B+), Snake Eyes (7B+), Mullet Arete (7A), Psychic Tea Lady (7A+), The Phoenix (7A+). TO be honest basically everything, nothing is bad there especially at Font.

4 - We just had two weeks there and the climbing is so good I basically got totally engrossed. We did spend a bit of time in CHC and really liked it actually, strange feeling after the quakes but a good energy about the place. We just wandered around really. The Botanical gardens are nice, great coffee shop called C1, lots of good street art. Also make sure you get a pie from the shop in Sheffield!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: New Zealand (again)
March 24, 2017, 09:57:01 am
You can hire pads from the climbing shop (name?) in CHC too.

Good surfing and skiing at the right time of year.

Museum in CHC is worth a visit if you have a wet day, amazing exhibit of old Antarctic exploration gear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal