UKBouldering.com

BMC No Confidence Motion (split from the Why aren't you a BMC member? thread) (Read 73614 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Do many people tend to vote by proxy? If Bob is marshalling votes then this could be another fucking Brexit/Trump fiasco.
I implore people to take the time to vote to oppose the motion.

What's the deal with affiliate members who are members through their club? Do they get a vote? May be able to drum up some votes that way.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The whole thing stinks.

Having now seen the official proposers list as published by the BMC (linked from the other channel) - is there anybody on it who has climbed anything of note this century? The one person on it I know personally already hadn't tied a rope on* for years when I knew him in the 90s, and I suspect hasn't since either.

What I find especially obnoxious is the way this Pettigrew character appears to be sneaking around drumming up support from other old duffers at club AGMs instead of engaging in any public discussion of what he is trying to achieve and why. As Will rightly points out, there seems from my outsider perspective to be a very real danger he could win through procedural politics and block voting rather than through convincing a majority of the validity of his arguments. If indeed he has any.

* Metaphorical rope. Nothing wrong with hillwalking of course. Or bouldering
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:06:42 am by Muenchener »

tomtom

• forum hero

gme

• forum hero
Do not click on the link tomtom just sent if you want to get any work done this morning. Brilliant.

Duma

• forum hero
Can someone confirm the proxy can be made electronically to the chair with the position on the motion pre selected on the proxy card as the chair.  This looks like the most convenient route for those who have already made up their minds.

Anyone?

TT - that link is amazing, thank you!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Can someone confirm the proxy can be made electronically to the chair with the position on the motion pre selected on the proxy card as the chair.  This looks like the most convenient route for those who have already made up their minds.

Anyone?

Just clarified. Members can print and complete the pdf of the voting card  and return a scanned copy by email but it must be handwritten with signature, not typed as it otherwise it cannot be accepted. The procedure is limited by the articles apparently. It is not an online voting system.

Does that answer what you are after?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:49:20 am by shark »

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
What about club affiliate members voting rights?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The procedure is limited by the articles apparently

I hope updating the articles is on the cards. It is 2017 after all.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Sorry what is a club affiliate member? If you are a member of a club that is a BMC club then you are still a BMC member no?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
For traditional pedants sometimes just changing 'an' article is impossible! ;-)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

Sorry what is a club affiliate member? If you are a member of a club that is a BMC club then you are still a BMC member no?

Some club members who are not seperately individual members want to confirm they have a vote.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Some club members who are not seperately individual members want to confirm they have a vote.

Yes. One member (club or individual), one vote.

Clubs no longer have a block vote.

Duma

• forum hero

Anyone?

Just clarified. Members can print and complete the pdf of the voting card  and return a scanned copy by email but it must be handwritten with signature, not typed as it otherwise it cannot be accepted. The procedure is limited by the articles apparently. It is not an online voting system.

Does that answer what you are after?

Yup. Can you confirm the email address to send it to please?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

tomtom

• forum hero
Its only valid if you fill in the form whilst on a hanging belay.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Just to clarify the point, a member of the Leeds University Mountaineering Club, who is not also an individual member, should have a vote, as they receive affiliate membership through their club? I'm not sure what constitutes a "BMC club" you see.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
It is the club that affiliates, not the club member. As Sharkey says a member of an affiliated club has the same voting rights as an individual BMC member.

A quick google shows a pdf list of Affiliated clubs and yes, LUMC is on the list.

tomtom

• forum hero
LMC too Will. You could vote twice ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Actually - how the f*ck can the BMC verify these votes - do they have a list of the club members in the affiliated clubs to check em off against? (Suspect not...)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Actually - how the f*ck can the BMC verify these votes - do they have a list of the club members in the affiliated clubs to check em off against? (Suspect not...)

Err, yes they do.

tomtom

• forum hero
That surprises me - ok it was 20 and a bit years ago I was part of the running committee of LUUMC - and things have changed since then of course but I don't remember any lists of members going to the BMC (of course there may have been loads of different ways of doing things back then - and they may not have been affiliated).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
That surprises me - ok it was 20 and a bit years ago I was part of the running committee of LUUMC - and things have changed since then of course but I don't remember any lists of members going to the BMC (of course there may have been loads of different ways of doing things back then - and they may not have been affiliated).

I don't know how interactive the list is - when a club renews it's affiliation it send a list, the fees payable are determined by the size of the list. If you joined or left the club after the list is sent I doubt if the central database is updated.

Duma

• forum hero

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
That really is pants. What's this about natural rock competitions, by the way? Not heard that rumour.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal