UKBouldering.com

Bouldering with a helmet (Read 22762 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#75 Re: Bouldering with a helmet
May 11, 2016, 06:22:13 pm
Nah, that's what Alain Robert gets his spotters to wear for extra encouragement.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#76 Re: Bouldering with a helmet
May 11, 2016, 07:46:52 pm
I have found the answer.

for people who with they still had dreads?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#77 Re: Bouldering with a helmet
January 14, 2017, 08:14:35 pm
One of the problems when writing standards is that if you are too prescriptive, you stifle innovation, but I agree that there currently are some issues. For me, the biggest one is that because the test locations are fixed, you can add a great big hole in the shell elsewhere to reduce weight and increase ventilation. That's been fed into the discussion for the next review, and I also think a good compromise for off-centre impacts would be to up the requirement from 1/4 to 1/2 the crown requirement. Bear in mind that the crown requirement is pretty high - twice the protection compared to a cycling helmet for example.

I was reminded of this point when the mk2 sirocco was unveiled recently.

http://gripped.com/gear/new-2017-petzl-sirocco-helmet-is-light-and-strong/

Petzl look to have used a rigid plastic kippah to get it through the vertical penetration test rather than the conehead styling of the current version.

Aside from design fudges to meet standards, a helmet that looks like the Meteor but weighs little more than a bobble hat is a very attractive proposition. I'll almost certainly be getting one. Not black though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal